SAU Community

How does the "on" key position work?

Hey all, so I can't find a guide on it but when you turn on the key to the "on" position (the one where all the electronics turn on, but not cranking the actual car) do the spark plugs fire up? or is it only when  you actually crank the car the spark plugs fire? Also will the car turn to the "on" position with the coilpacks disconnected? 

The spark pkugs never just fire up, they are fired by the engine at the correct time in relation to crankshaft position. They don't just turn on.

Yes the car will turn to the on position with coil packs disconnected, there's no interlock in any of that stuff

7 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

The spark pkugs never just fire up, they are fired by the engine at the correct time in relation to crankshaft position. They don't just turn on.

Yes the car will turn to the on position with coil packs disconnected, there's no interlock in any of that stuff

I would assume the crankshaft doesnt rotate until the car is on? thanks for the speedy response man. One other thing if i may ask can fuel injector spray out fuel without the return line hooked up?

15 minutes ago, silviaz said:

I would assume the crankshaft doesnt rotate until the car is on? thanks for the speedy response man. One other thing if i may ask can fuel injector spray out fuel without the return line hooked up?

Depends what you mean by that. The fuel goes through the rail, then to the reg then to return. If reg is there yes fuel will spray out of injectors, and out of return line

If you want the ECU to think the engine is turning when it isn't (eg to see if an injector clicks open and closed or a spark plug fires), remove the crank angle sensor (but leave it plugged in to the loom) turn the key to ON and turn the rear spindle of the crank angle sensor. ECU sees some RPM (probably pretty low) and does it's thing

Just now, Ben C34 said:

Depends what you mean by that. The fuel goes through the rail, then to the reg then to return. If reg is there yes fuel will spray out of injectors, and out of return line

ok thanks appreciate it.

Just now, Duncan said:

If you want the ECU to think the engine is turning when it isn't (eg to see if an injector clicks open and closed or a spark plug fires), remove the crank angle sensor (but leave it plugged in to the loom) turn the key to ON and turn the rear spindle of the crank angle sensor. ECU sees some RPM (probably pretty low) and does it's thing

Ah ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure when u put the key on the "on" positon, (before the cranking to turn the car on) that the spark plug doesnt actually fire up

2 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Oh man sorry to bother but one very last thing a while back i lost my fuel rail spacer and used a metal washer, can this cause injector leaks?

20 minutes ago, silviaz said:

Oh man sorry to bother but one very last thing a while back i lost my fuel rail spacer and used a metal washer, can this cause injector leaks?

If the washer is the correct thickness that is fine.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:00 PM, Ben C34 said:

Hey Ben, I was hoping to get your opinion on aftermarket fuel injector o-rings, do you think it's a bad idea?

8 hours ago, silviaz said:

Hey Ben, I was hoping to get your opinion on aftermarket fuel injector o-rings, do you think it's a bad idea?

So long as they are for fuel injectors and the correct size any are fine

No way would I use genuine orings. They are a ripofff

On 5/23/2020 at 8:12 AM, Ben C34 said:

So long as they are for fuel injectors and the correct size any are fine

No way would I use genuine orings. They are a ripofff

Ok thanks, I had a leaky fuel injector according to a mechanic he sprayed it with water and we saw steam or something. I pulled out the injector and the seal looks in great condition, so thinking is it even the injector?

1 hour ago, silviaz said:

a leaky fuel injector according to a mechanic he sprayed it with water and we saw steam or something

That doent make sense.

Just now, Ben C34 said:

That doent make sense.

So basically, I wanted to find out what my rough idle was  once the car was warmed up and he said it sounded like an air leak, he then proceeded to pour some water over the injector area. and when he got to the last injector he saw it was smoking after pouring the water and said the o ring inside needs to be replaced. I did get the injector out but the o-ring looks like brand new.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:29 PM, Ben C34 said:

Still doesn’t make sense! 

Tell me exactly what doesnt make sense i tried to be as specific as possible. I think i have a bad injector. mechanic said fuel was leaking past the piston ring