SAU Community

Pedestrian Safety System triggered by a possum

Hi, last night a possum ran in front of me and smacked the bumper, triggering the Pedestrian Safety System which blew out the bonnet hinges.

I haven't contacted anybody for repairs yet, just wondering what the damage is from this system being activated.  I found some discussions regarding different models of Nissan, which suggest that it destroys the hinges and these need to be replaced.  Is this going to be a costly repair?

2010 370GT coupe, DBA-CKV36

If you have insurance, I suggest using them for repairs. It can be costly and time consuming.

I do think someone here may have fixed it themselves once..  It could have been @The Max.. But I'm not to sure. I'm pretty sure the person had a white v36 pic.

There's a thread explaining it. 

If you're going through the insurance, then for the bonnet pop-up issue in itself (I'm not factoring in damaged bumper, grille, bonnet, etc) that repair will entail:
1) Replacement rams (single use items)
2) Replacement hinges (single use items)
3) Replacement Bonnet Pop-Up control module (single use item living in the boot)

Now, for the third item, if they can't source a replacement, the EEPROM in the module can be cleared with an appropriate EEPROM programmer, which will extinguish the otherwise permanent display of the pop-up indicator light on your dash. I've explained in the thread how that's done. There is a process for clearing the pop-up indicator when it's in error but in my case, it was a legitimate hit from a motorcyclist thinking he was Casey Stoner, so the only way was with the EEPROM programmer.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if there's a spacer or shim sandwiched between the hinge and bonnet? Mine is sunken by a couple of mm below the edge of the front guard near the windscreen and looking at the two hinges, I see that the driver's side has something like a little bit of sheet metal wedged in there while the other doesn't. I might have to fashion up one for the passenger side to sort that out. Yes, I'm a meticulous twat.

• 7 months later...

Sorry, I didn't post a follow-up after I had it fixed.  The parts came to $6500, and took 4 months to get here by boat, as COVID-19 disrupted direct freight.  No idea what the labor costs were to get it all installed.  Yay for good insurance.

I get very nervous now when I see a possum or rabbit on the road.  Gonna have to investigate disabling that mechanism I think.

• Like 1