SAU Community

Rear sub frame and under carriage

Well, what started as a basic tidy up has gotten a little out of hand, I’ve decided to build a complete rear end. I just bought a second hand one so I’ll be building/preparing this one to go into the car, complete. 
I’ll be getting it blasted and re-coated, I bought a GKTECH subframe reinforcement kit, I sourced a diff housing and I got my hands on a brand new ring and pinion gear, I got a set of 31 spline half shafts and will be fitting a quaife centre and Greddy extended hat. 
I do currently have Hardrace arms fitted to the car, I’ll might re use these. I bought new hubs and will be reconditioning my drive shafts.
now what I want to know, 

1. do I stick with the hard race arms? what other options do I have and what benefit will I gain for $$ spent? 
2. What bush’s Should I use, what is good?

3. I want to fit a good quantity hicas lockout/elimination kit. Hicas has been removed from my car and it’s fitted with a lock out bar. I want to get rid of the hicas rack altogether. What is the best kit on the market? 
Now, the car is being put together, with the end goal being a solid, competent street car, that can handle a drive day. 
So in regards to bush’s, I’ll probably be steering clear of solid, I’m considering oem or I know there are after market hardened rubber bush’s, I’m not sure about poly? 
The hard race arms I bought were all the Bush type, not pillow ball.
Hit me with your knowledge people  

786CFA0F-E2D4-42C1-8780-C820A755E4CB.jpeg

F5E14BC9-B371-4262-AF17-10D91E1596C7.jpeg

1. Hardrace are good. Just stick with them.

2. What bushes where? Oh, you mean the choice between Hardrace hard rubber or sphericals? Stay with rubber. Use poly if you're replacing OEM rubber bushes elsewhere. Hardmount the subframe to the car if you want to be hardcore. Same with diff.

3. GKTech.

Watch the recent Motive DVD series on the R33 GTR rear subframe rework. Particularly with respect to the relocation of the front lower mounting points. If you are going to be doing anything to an R32 GTR subframe, then this is a mod you should make while you have the opportunity.

41 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

1. Hardrace are good. Just stick with them.

2. What bushes where?

Thanks for that, I was referring to subframe bushes, So you suggest poly over oem or rubber. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of going poly over rubber? 
I’ve watched the motive video, it was kind of what pushed me to go all out on the rear end, that and I’m a little fussy. I’ll be basically tidying up the whole undercarriage. From the engine back, everything will be new or referbed 

The subframe bushes are a touchy subject.

I have the Hardrace hardened rubber set on mine, but with heaps of track days, skid pans etc. they're starting to deform and thus misaligning the rear end.

I personally recommend straight up solid, but really depends on vehicle usage. If it's a streeter with the very odd track day or strip, then pop in the harden rubber bushes.

Cheers Dose, unfortunately, due to work, family etc, I don’t drive it nearly as much as I’d like to, since owning it I think the mechanics have seen more of it then I have ? GTR life! Lol 

the car will be more for spirited mountain runs, putting the wife in it and going up north or down south for a weekend away. 
Yes, there will be the odd roll racing event, and I will take it to WSID at least once, but those events don’t really interest me much. 
I’d love to do track/drive days in it but unfortunately due to time restraints that’s unlikely to happen often. 
if I was to go a solid over rubber, how harsh will the ride get? 
I guess to give more info, the car is riding on MCA street series coil overs, I had a look under it the other day and it looks to have poly bushes (they are orange) in the sub frame and rubber for the diff mounts. In its current state it’s very compliant and quite comfortable (for a GTR). 

I've used poly and whiteline bushes and prefer the whiteline subframe, lca and knuckle bushes with everything else adjustable and rose joints. Done lots of daily/highway driving with monthly track days. Gktech have been my go to choice for adjustable arms for the last 8 years, good thing is they finally sell parts to replace worn stuff. 

If you can find a s13 subframe as won't need hicas lockbar. Definitely worth the time doing this. 

Easy to use what you have, this will work 

https://au.gktech.com/products/rear-suspension/hicas-accessories/s-r-chassis-hicas-delete-combo

It's easy to remove the hicas ball joint by removing the clip and pushing out the ball joint and replace it with a standard bushing as I just finished refurbing one of my subframes using a donor one.