SAU Community

R34 R200 into R33 Subframe?

AshtonR33

Yes and no. R200 diffs are all "basically" the same. But there are differences caused by auto/manual turbo/NA that can lead to differences in the length of the nose of the diff housing (and hence the tailshaft length and the ABS sensor types and positions).

If you are talking about a like for like swap (ie, R34 turbo diff into R33 turbo car) then no problems. Everything should be the same. But if you want to cross pollinate, you need to know what the old diff has and what the new diff has and then decide if they're the same or not.

That has more to do with the other stuff around the diff than the interface of whether the diff will bolt to the subframe. FWIW, the R33 and R34 subframes are essentially the same thing. Hell, the R33 and R34 are essentially the same thing under the skin in most places anyway. Most diff housings will bolt to most subframes (if not all** Skyline R200s bolting to all Skyline subframes).

**Keeping in mind that the rear bolts on the diff cover are different between R32s and the later ones, but that's not interesting to you wrt your question, and easily fixed by swapping the cover anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yes and no. R200 diffs are all "basically" the same. But there are differences caused by auto/manual turbo/NA that can lead to differences in the length of the nose of the diff housing (and hence the tailshaft length and the ABS sensor types and positions).

If you are talking about a like for like swap (ie, R34 turbo diff into R33 turbo car) then no problems. Everything should be the same. But if you want to cross pollinate, you need to know what the old diff has and what the new diff has and then decide if they're the same or not.

That has more to do with the other stuff around the diff than the interface of whether the diff will bolt to the subframe. FWIW, the R33 and R34 subframes are essentially the same thing. Hell, the R33 and R34 are essentially the same thing under the skin in most places anyway. Most diff housings will bolt to most subframes (if not all** Skyline R200s bolting to all Skyline subframes).

**Keeping in mind that the rear bolts on the diff cover are different between R32s and the later ones, but that's not interesting to you wrt your question, and easily fixed by swapping the cover anyway.

Thanks for that response mate, very informative. Yeah from what i understand it is an R200 3.7 Ratio LSD from an R34, Im guessing that it is from an R34GTT. I do own the R33 GTST Subframe so if thats the case, then from what you have told me, i will have no issues haha. Thank you. 

Also, just a quick question, do you reckon $400 for the LSD is a fair price? just trying to gauge if i should pruchase it or keep looking. Thank you very much.

There's no such thing as a 3.7 ratio diff from a Skyline. 3.7 is a Silvia ratio. R34 turbos had 4.08 (auto) and 4.11 (manual). If this diff is a 3.7, then it could be any combination of Frankensteined together components and you should not make any assumptions about what it is and has.

Also, if it is a Nissan viscous LSD, then you can't consider it to be an LSD. They are shit. $400 is at the extreme top end of asking price for a VLSD. They are only worth buying to get the housing and gears. The diff centre itself is not worth anything these days.

If it is a 3.7 ratio, then it would suggest that it is probably not a VLSD, because no-one would go to the effort to change the ratio on a poxy VLSD. It would be a waste of time, money and effort. So I would assume that the diff is a mechanical LSD. If it is a mechanical LSD, then it is probably worth at least double the $400, depending on condition. If it needs to be rebuilt, then $400 is probably fair, but then you wouldn't really be wanting to go down that rabbit hole.

You need to know everything about this diff before you consider buying it, unless you're happy to just throw money at it pot luck and see what you get. $400 is pretty small beer.

9 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

There's no such thing as a 3.7 ratio diff from a Skyline. 3.7 is a Silvia ratio. R34 turbos had 4.08 (auto) and 4.11 (manual). If this diff is a 3.7, then it could be any combination of Frankensteined together components and you should not make any assumptions about what it is and has.

Also, if it is a Nissan viscous LSD, then you can't consider it to be an LSD. They are shit. $400 is at the extreme top end of asking price for a VLSD. They are only worth buying to get the housing and gears. The diff centre itself is not worth anything these days.

If it is a 3.7 ratio, then it would suggest that it is probably not a VLSD, because no-one would go to the effort to change the ratio on a poxy VLSD. It would be a waste of time, money and effort. So I would assume that the diff is a mechanical LSD. If it is a mechanical LSD, then it is probably worth at least double the $400, depending on condition. If it needs to be rebuilt, then $400 is probably fair, but then you wouldn't really be wanting to go down that rabbit hole.

You need to know everything about this diff before you consider buying it, unless you're happy to just throw money at it pot luck and see what you get. $400 is pretty small beer.

Thanks for that. Sorry, im just going off what the ad is saying, the title reading, "R200 3.7 LSD" and in the description he said it was removed from his R34. It would probably be best for me to clarify the condition of the diff with the guy before purchasing it, and its history. However, he was looking to swap the diff for a different one as he believed it was not good for city driving, which would suggest to me that it is in a fine working order. I will clarify with him though. Thank you.

Edited by AshtonR33

Again, based on what you have said, "not good for city driving" implies that it is a mechanical centre. If it is "not good for city driving", that would suggest that it is a savage 2-way diff, and that should be worth more like $1000. If it is real and in good condition.

There is another way that a diff could be "not good for city driving", if it has been welded up. You can take a non-LSD and turn it into a locked diff. Totally unpleasant. It is also possible to chuck so many shims into a VLSD housing that the VLSD doesn't work and the shims act as a proxy clutch pack. A very bad idea, as it wears things that are not supposed to wear.

I would suggest you ask for a number of photos showing the inside of the diff, well let and in focus, from a number of viewpoint,s and with the centre rotated to various positions so we can see what is going on with it.

Also, what do you want it for? Street driving or drifto?

GTSBoy, remember a R34 NA has a S15 rear end and an open diff.

The R34 GTT stuff is not plug and play with R33 gear. Of any kind. Even R34 turbo to R33 Turbo. Different ABS, wheel speed sensors, stub axles etc.

It'll probably bolt together, but there's stuff that won't work (ABS, TC).

You can make a R34 non turbo rear end and a S15 helical work though, as those are the same thing.