SAU Community

RB26 Rattle - Spun Bearing?

Hey guys,

My 33 GTR is making a weird rattling noise after driving it for a while. It tends to go away after you shut the car off and start it back up again, it sounds like something is loose and rattling around somewhere on the passenger side under the intake piping for the turbos. It doesn't get louder the more you rev the car, if anything it goes away. I'm going to drain the oil here shortly and have a look for any metal shavings.

Turbos are stock to my knowledge, they were going to get changed out this winter as well as the basic oil restrictor mods, etc..I just got the car with intention of doing a restoration over the next few years.

What are your thoughts? Is this going to need a rebuild right away?

Don't often get to say this about an rb, but that is definitely not a spun bearing.

It will be some thin gauge steel rattling against something else. Maybe a loose turbo heat shield, the air/water lines or some other random bracket not attached properly. Not a big deal but you should get it sorted so whatever isn't meant to be rattling doesn't break.

BTW I'm sure you're concerned....but 2 hours in the middle of the night was pretty early to bump the question!

Sorry about that, I was definitely nervous and anxious; I tend to get that way when something could be horrible. I figured it wasn't a bearing either because it doesn't get louder or worse the more I rev it. On cold start it doesn't happen (from what I can hear), i'm going to have a deep dive next weekend and see if I can find the issue.

Thanks for the reply Duncan!! I really appreciate it.

Yeah apart from the quite different tone, rod big end bearings (most common failure) are noisier when cold (thicker oil, higher clearances) and noiser when you rev it (rod moves faster, failed bearing lets it move more), and the speed of the knock increases with revs too. It is quite a distinctive "gnomes with hammers inside your engine" noise

• Haha 1