SAU Community

R33 gtst Gearbox questions

CEF33Y

Hey guys, so in the middle of pulling apart my R33 gearbox.

It was noisy in first and second gear, third and forth noise pretty much goes away.

I’m up to pulling speedo drive sleeve off, but have to modify my puller set to fit, so it’s not fully pulled down yet. 

The question I have for now, the input shaft bearing and the bigger bearing in the centre plate are rubber sealed bearings.

Now, from all the googling I’ve done, I’ve not come across any pics of sealed bearings. 

I would have thought the bearings need to be open to ensure adequate lubrication. I mean, the factory Nissan bearing is open...

The input bearing feels ok by hand, keen to see what the one in the center plate feels like.

Any gearbox guru’s have any thoughts on the use of sealed bearings?

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bit late to reply, But yeah, the CBC kit I got came with the sealed bearings, on which I've removed the seals.

Just got it back together last night, hope to have it back in the car tomorrow. Pretty happy with the CBC kit, even came with 1st gear bush (which looked average on mine, burred on the edge where it looks like they've used an ill fitting pipe to drive it on). Someone has had this apart before and did a average job putting it back together.

The needle bearings on 1st and 2nd gear felt terrible as I was pulling it down, and popped the seal off the (old) bearing in the center plate and there was alot of black deposit, and the oil in there was much darker than the oil drained from the Gbox.

Anyway, will see if the gbox noise has gone soon enough!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardsteppa said:

got to say, they are a fairly noisy box IMO . Still hear alot of operating noise from mine even after the full rebuild, but have come to love it 😛

Couldn't agree more. After going from a 22 year old box to a brand new one, it wasn't quieter at all to the ear. 

Yes that's right, wasn't (past tense). Said new box went to gearbox heaven prematurely. 

Hey guys, feel free to add any info to the thread if you feel its relevant, thats the best part about forums.

So, updating, as the box is back in the car, and to give the thread some closure.

Much anticipation I started car, and slowly released clutch, aaaand the noise is still there. Bugger. Probably a bit better, but hasn't "fixed" the noise.

So ultimately its got to be the gearset.

I also put a new syncro in 2nd gear, and the shift into second feels better, so along with the experience of actually rebuilding a box, it wasn't a complete waste of time (pretty close though, haha).

Plan from here is to keep driving/drifting with this box until it lets go, then probably buy new. I don't think "low km second hand" boxes exist anymore. And I'm not making the power where I think a gearset is warranted.

Thanks for the advice/help guys