SAU Community

Coolant pressure sensor location

Hi all,

Seeing as I don't use the stock dash, I popped a coolant pressure sensor in the stock dash temp sensor location. Set it up in the Haltech and the pressure reading looked good. 

Had a track event today, half way through the day and engine protection started kicking in - 0 coolant pressure. 

Before I start digging deeper, I just wanted to make sure I haven't picked a stupid coolant pressure sensor location. I thought I could essentially mount it anywhere, but maybe the sensor is up too high? I'm not sure why it read fine to start but now reads 0 psi.

Probably worth mentioning, there were no issues with the coolant overheating and temps were consistent with what I would expect on track.  

CPS.jpg

It's frustrating as its a $250 sensor from Haltech :( I've also used one of those sensors for fuel pressure, and they read low when running e85. I'm guessing there must be a rubber o-ring inside the sensor that is effected by the ethanol. I think Haltech should drop these range of sensors, especially as they sell stainless ones for the same price =/

Are these the Bosch sensors you were thinking of? 

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/bosch-fluid-pressure-sensor-10bar-145psi

Any thoughts on sensors like this? (it would be easier to keep things 1/8 NPT)

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/stainless-steel-pressure-sensor-150psi-1-8-npt-thr~127222

Yep that's the Bosch sensors I will move to once my Halaltech one dies. Just one thing, I've been told the Bosch sensors do degrade then eventually leak fluid out of the connector (can't win it seems).

I'm running 2x of those EFI Solutions sensors on the car at the moment too. Was being tight and didn't want to buy a Haltech one lol... 1x is being used for EMAP and 1x is being used for Oil Pressure.

The first sensor is the new metric thread and I use them with no issues.
Second one is probably a copy of the original bosch but 1/8 thread as what everyone use to use.

I haven't had an issue with the Bosch sensors in 7 years even mounted on the block for oil pressure.

• Like 2

Yeah if I was doing everything again from the beginning, it would be great for things like oil pressure/temp. But in this case the factory water temp sensor is working fine so there isn't really much driving me to use the combined temp/pressure sensor.