SAU Community

Building a portable fuel cell for hard parked cars

Hey guys,

I was thinking of building a portable fuel cell for running some hard parked cars.

Getting a plastic 5L fuel container. Glue it onto some aluminium checker plate. Then add a external fuel pump, fuel filter and pressure gauge. A breather on top. Power fuse, switch and input socket. Maybe have 8AN fittings for in an outs. Im looking for 8mm barb fittings that can be added to the tank. Using it in the engine bay. 

Anyone done anything similar or got ideas?

IMG20220711174122.thumb.jpg.21bf9d1273abba7957c84aa55361fb5b.jpg

On 11/07/2022 at 5:54 PM, QLDR31 said:

Hey guys,

I was thinking of building a portable fuel cell for running some hard parked cars.

Getting a plastic 5L fuel container. Glue it onto some aluminium checker plate. Then add a external fuel pump, fuel filter and pressure gauge. A breather on top. Power fuse, switch and input socket. Maybe have 8AN fittings for in an outs. Im looking for 8mm barb fittings that can be added to the tank. Using it in the engine bay. 

Anyone done anything similar or got ideas?

IMG20220711174122.thumb.jpg.21bf9d1273abba7957c84aa55361fb5b.jpg

The guy from Vice Grip Garage has one that he uses when starting up cars that have sat around

Basically cuts it into the fuel line in the engine bay and away you go,clean fresh fuel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff.  Would be awesome if you could have it set to a timer where it circulated the fuel once a day to keep everything fresh.  Would be awesome for stopping E85 rotting the shit out of everything. 

On 7/30/2022 at 8:01 PM, Shoota_77 said:

Good stuff.  Would be awesome if you could have it set to a timer where it circulated the fuel once a day to keep everything fresh.  Would be awesome for stopping E85 rotting the shit out of everything. 

no need for fancy things like that, just drive the car more.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:41 PM, QLDR31 said:

The fuel cell so far.

FuelCell_001.thumb.JPG.3e7f17d6015f33f57d4b8f996ca365f7.JPG

if you wanted to make it a bit more compact, could mount it all to that metal strap holding the jerry.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:07 PM, Shoota_77 said:

Ha ha, strong point. Hard to argue...

Well if want to get a bit fancy could use an arduino with a timing program controlling a relay for the pump and have a float switch for just in case theres a leak as safety.
A water trap and filter before the pump then a filter in the return to the jerry would be the best way as get any junk and remove the moisture.

Some good ideas.

I will be using it on my R31's. It can bolt onto where the drivers front guard normally is.

It could also bolt into the boot.

I am planning on having a tap on the fuel output and return. That way I can turn it off for transport.

Going to have a power switch, fuse, LED, power socket and relay.

I was thinking of also using EFI push on fuel fittings.

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.404c2e0d27cdc851c90dff0b722b7b6a.jpeg

I got my R31 TI (with RB25DE NEO) going with it today. I had a fuel leak from one of the Chinese brass bulkheads. I also blew a fuse on my fuel cell. I wasn't what fuse to run initially I used 7.5 amp, now its 10 amp. But got it going and managed to relocate the car with the fuel cell bolts to the guard position ;).

• Like 1