SAU Community

V37 front cut into a V36 as a swap?

Has anybody looked into obtaining a front cut V37 Red sedan from japan as a way to twin turbo a V36 (sedan)?  I figure this could be made street legal by putting it over the pits as the VR30DETT block and trans should mostly drop in with just a few hiccups (the USA has sorted now). The left over V36 motor and trans could be sold off to reduce costs also.

Anybody considered this ? 

The aftermarket route is expensive (like 25K) so the front cut would have to be cheaper (15K?). Who would undertake this in QLD... East Coast Customs ?

Pete

Edited by mybrains

So a vr30ddtt??
Yes looked into it. Waiting to see how the new Z goes first.
Its been done a heap in the USA heaps, wiring is not to hard. Definitely budget well over 25k for a shop to do everything. Allow for small things like hoses, clamps, exhaust, bigger heat exchanger, even possible brake upgrade to meet engineering requirements. Allow something like this a few months to be done.

If wanting power its easier to attach a blower, exhaust, fuel system or one of the BTW turbo kits and retune or buy just the inifiniti 
East Coast Customs don't really do conversion stuff any more but would be able to tune it or do the above work. Boys have been flat out and I know are pretty much booked for the rest of the year.

thanks. this is leaning me towards just selling the v36 and buying a V37 ready to go. I need to find out if AUS is ready to import the Japanese red sedans now (2019 model). Local seems to have cut off at 2018 model (before the GTR facelift). If the import is 45K and the V36 sells for 20K then its the same 25K swap over abet less hassle and easier to service etc.

Pete

Mustang V8 note is nice but turbos are easier to boot ;)

Local V37s have dropped alot. Some for 34K. makes swap even cheaper. Still, the 2019 model had a better electric steering system and some of the kinks worked out so I lean that way to go JDM.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/infiniti/sedan-bodystyle/petrol-fueltype/turbo-induction/6-cylinders/under-50000/?sort=~Price

If you go down the Q50/Q60 RS route, try to get a later model (2018) as the earlier models had issues with the turbos failing prematurely and it is $$ to replace as they are integrated into the exhaust manifold.

The RS was available with or without DAS.  Interesting, the only people that seem to hate DAS are those that have never owned one.  Unless you want to track the car and value as much steering feedback as possible, then DAS is fine.  Either the older version or newer (some on the US forums prefer Ver1)

Retrofitting a VR into a V36 sounds like $$$ and you end up with a unicorn that may be hard to find someone to work on it and will make it harder to sell.  Surely building and turbo charging a VQ37 will yield better results anyway.