SAU Community

RB DCT gearbox conversion

Gareth87

I've spent 18k on the DCT box, adaptor gear, wiring, GCU, oil coolers etc. Once I upgrade the clutch packs and do the last few things to get it all in It'll be around $25k. So not much cheaper than a 6 speed sequential. The next firmware update for the GCU is going full closed loop, so no need to tune it after that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TezGT-R said:

I've spent 18k on the DCT box, adaptor gear, wiring, GCU, oil coolers etc. Once I upgrade the clutch packs and do the last few things to get it all in It'll be around $25k. So not much cheaper than a 6 speed sequential. The next firmware update for the GCU is going full closed loop, so no need to tune it after that.

On a GTR ?

7 hours ago, TezGT-R said:

The costs certainly add up.. like any mod I suppose.

I would be very interested to hear how closed loop GCU control would go. That would take out a massive element of getting things going.

The whole package is probably 2 years away from being a more common mod. 

14 hours ago, Gareth87 said:

The costs certainly add up.. like any mod I suppose.

I would be very interested to hear how closed loop GCU control would go. That would take out a massive element of getting things going.

The whole package is probably 2 years away from being a more common mod. 

They reckon you'll just have to put in a few things like gear ratios, torque calculation stuff and some safety parameters then go driving and it'll get smoother and faster on the shifts as you go. HPR is offering complete plug and play packages now and with closed loop it should be a lot more user friendly to get it going.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finished up the long block last weekend, pulled the 26 and manual box yesterday. Fab work and freshening up the engine bay starts next weekend. It'll be manual while we get the engine run in and tuned then the DCT will go in. I usually post updates on instagram.

20221127_173209.thumb.jpg.a66b6bc6691be199a836cb2a64c72030.jpg20221119_122826.thumb.jpg.1bcc18c7af1e24074938d8dcda2e8b1a.jpg20221119_122807.thumb.jpg.e78ca21dc9eb960bdb48e49500c564a4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

G'day Guys, 

Thought I'd chime in and see if I can revive this thread. So, two years ago, I inherited my late brother's R31 Skyline. Prior to my brother's passing, we had picked up an E90X DCT transmission for our FJ20 powered 1600 build. Anyway, the DCT swap has been on ice since then, because the plan was the use an HTG GCU, but a quick google search revealed many HTG customers dissatisfied with the brand and the support.

I've recently discovered CAN Performance, who make a plug-in controller for the DCT and the 8HP gearboxes. Their customer base seen very happy with the performance of the units, some of whom have swapped over from the HTG GCU. So with a controller now available, I'm moving forward with the RB/DCT conversion. The RB is still the factory NA r31 motor, fitted with a VL turbo kit and ecu. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a Haltech 2500 elite, including DBW throttle. I've also purchased the adapter kit, from the guys at 8speed.

Anyway, hopefully the end result is worth the effort and cost. Initial rough estimates so far is around 15k, including the purchase cost of the gearbox. For those who want to follow the swap, I'll update this thread for time to time. I'll do more regular updates with pics and videos on FB and insta. Happy to share the link to those if requested. 

Cheers, 

Orlando 

• Like 1

Definitely keep the thread alive mate. Following with great interest. Where are you located. Would be keen to check it out as you progress.

Yes.. the Can performance GCU seems to be the go. A lot more sorted the the HTG so I hear.

32 minutes ago, Gareth87 said:

Definitely keep the thread alive mate. Following with great interest. Where are you located. Would be keen to check it out as you progress.

Yes.. the Can performance GCU seems to be the go. A lot more sorted the the HTG so I hear.

Will do mate. I'm located in Sydney. Cool Runnings Engineering on FB and instagram. 

By the way, I'll be doing an 8HP swap behind the FJ in the 1600. Picking up a 8HP45 tomorrow. Will have to make my own adapter kit for the FJ so that's a longer-term project. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Guys, 

So I manage to get my hands on a 8HP-45 from the same family of engine as my DCT. The bolt  pattern of the 2 gear boxes are identical so and so it the length. Hopefully they will be interchangeable, using the same gear box mount. I also managed to pick up an old RB30 block, which I'll use for test filling the boxes. Should make life a little easier.  More updates to come. 

Cheers

8HP vs DCT (2).jpeg

8HP vs DCT (3).jpeg

DCT vs 8HP (1).jpeg

DCT Adaptor.jpeg

Edited by JGB1600
wrong attachment
  • Like 2