SAU Community

Hello from the UK, New to Nissan.

IXMandalorianXI

Hello all,

I've just bought myself a previously modified/tuned 1996 Skyline r33 GTS-T and I'm already loving this car. I come from the Subaru WRX world so my knowlege on these engines is nonexistent. However, I've been told this forum is *the* place to go for information on these cars.

Good news is I already have a tuner (the same tuner who originally tuned this car a few years ago) and at least a general idea of how turbo cars work, haha.

First thing I want to do it change all the fluids and filters. I'm searching these forums and online, but looks like Mahle Knecht or Mann are both good oil filters and Im happy to see Motul be highly recommended for oil as that was my goto with the Subaru. It looks like 10w-30 is a safe bet, but I see other suggestions floating around too so Im not sure what weight to go with.

I figure I cant go wrong with genuine Nissan coolant. The transmission fluid was changed a year and a half ago, but I'd feel better swapping it out and same with a full brake fluid flush likely motul on both if available.

She def needs some work. Some boot rust to tackle before it gets bad, some weird clunking probably from the suspension, and some mystery switches that I think mess with the turbo or tune.

Any other advice or "check this" or "make sure this is good" before I get too deep into this car is appreciated. She is going to the tuner first thing this week for a full checkup.

20221223_155846.jpg

signal-2022-12-23-20-02-42-976.jpg

20221224_161748.jpg

20221224_161812.jpg

Edited by IXMandalorianXI
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum,

Looks like a very tidy car. Good idea on doing all the maintenance from the start. Clinking will be subframe or diff bushes or both best to just do every bush at once with a Whiteline rubber kit, stay away from the nolathane stuff.

Oil choice is always different pending climate, always good to use a quality oil. I run a 15-50 but its a lot warmer here and on ethanol.

They can be a solid car when looked after buy its a rabbit hole once you start modifying them.

Thank you for the reply and information! The car has been well take care of best I can tell. Only 52,000 miles, a fresh paint job and receipts and paper trails for a lot of mods and inspection passes.

Could you elaborate on "subframe clinking?" That sounds rather worrisome. Bushings less so and makes sense. Whiteline is a company I know well and will def look at their kit. Thank you.

It looks like the last owner used Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 15W-50 full Synthetic. The UK can be really cold or really warm. I figured an all season oil would be a safe bet.

The car seems pretty much full bolt on plus an upgraded turbo, clutch, coilpacks, coilovers, all tuned on a G4+. Seems to have been done properly. It really was a unique find. Last owner had to trade in for a family car Ive been told. Not much I want to mod beside quality of life, mostly maintain and restoration.

Edited by IXMandalorianXI