SAU Community

Ross Power Steering Idler Kit

So yesterday, giving the car an once over before tomorrow night's event I noticed something rather alarming.

The Ross PS idler actually fouls the AC compressor belt.

You can see the scoring on the lower belt. I tried using the RB26 spacer included in the kit but it ends up only supporting 2/3s of the belt and the other 1/3 overhangs. Either approach is going to be good for tomorrow night so I ended up using a 4mm or so washer and packing out the bracket to move the idler forward. Seems clear everything now, however the idler bracket bolts are now really close to the PS belt itself. (Didn't take photos of this, finished up late night and just wanted to go to sleep).

I've contacted Ross Performance and hoping they are able to machine down the RB26 spacer, here's hoping they reply at all lol... 

Screenshot_20230213-105835.thumb.png.0083bb216e53a278df7c2e74f98c9c15.png

I'll take a photo of what I've done tonight when I'm back home.

Added spacers to clear the AC belt and had do remove the spring washers on the bolt side to allow it to clear the PS belt.

Fun times, not. Piece of shit car, always spannering the lump of shit before events.

There's about 8mm of clearance to the fan blade, camera angle makes it look much closer.

Will trade for a F80 LCI M3 if anyone is keen?

PXL_20230213_110532475.thumb.jpg.eee2aa018ad88c38ffcfbe802fc41b62.jpg

PXL_20230213_110558341.thumb.jpg.55cd569dada919a645c9e66c0964d54e.jpg

• 5 months later...

So update, Ross said they would review it and they never got back to me.

After a couple of follow ups, nothing. Even tried messaging them on IG and nothing. Guess I'm not a big player (spend heaps) or have any social presence.

They're happy selling products that semi work (works great if you don't have A/C) and when you try to provide constructive feedback you're met with radio silence.

Guess it will just have to live with the spaced out bracket using washers - better than nothing, just annoyed I bought something that was supposed to be engineered to fit.. Oh wells, shit box Nissans.

image.thumb.png.b2e3431d70df5faef126ff1db5877d33.png

It would seem to me that if there is sufficient meat on that idler, then machining a couple of mm off its diameter would help? Or, per my original suggestion, can you do something about the alignment of the mount to the front of the engine to lift it up vertically a little? Or a little of both?

Or, a smaller diameter idler to replace that one?

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

It would seem to me that if there is sufficient meat on that idler, then machining a couple of mm off its diameter would help? Or, per my original suggestion, can you do something about the alignment of the mount to the front of the engine to lift it up vertically a little? Or a little of both?

Or, a smaller diameter idler to replace that one?

Both your solutions are valid, for now the spaced bracket works and when the car is due for any kind of belt change/timing, crank trigger kit (won't be using Ross after this experience), etc. I will look into replacing the idler OR skimming off parts of it.

Sigh... I hate modifying cars now.