SAU Community

Ross Power Steering Idler Kit

Hallo,

Yes I have a stupid RB that spits power steering belts when I smash the limiter at 8600rpm, clearly at a RPM Nissan engineers never envisaged a pleb spec RB25 would reach. RB26 motors don't seem to spit belts as often as they run a 4 rib belt, where as a R33 RB25 uses a 3 rib (I moved all my R33 ancillaries onto the R34 RB25 NEO motor).

I know there are options such as deleting the power steering setup altogether or running one of those FPG power steering replacement kits (very sexual) but I'm not keen on either option - mainly due to effort required & cost.

I can't recall when Ross released their power steering idler kit - however it might just be the solution I'm after. It essentially just adds an idler on the power steering bent to stop the silly deflection at high RPM. In theory it seems to make sense and "should" stop power steering belts spitting off when I smash the limiter OR just rev out the car at high RPM.

I'm more so keen on:

• thoughts, if this will actually solve my problem or just a pretty looking engine ornament (stares virtually at @GTSBoy)
  • actual installs of it, I can't seem to find any installed photos of it on the web
  • Is it actually worth the $370 or so

Nissan RB Power Steering Idler Kit – performanceheaven

Nissan RB Power Steering Idler Assembly | Ross Performance

Thanks everyone!

(Yeah finding new ways to waste money, I've turned into @The Bogan)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

It doesn't seem to be a popular item, hence I was curious on feedback

Guess I'll order it soon, hopefully have it sorted before All Jap Day in May.

I guess it's one of those things that doesn't happen to everyone but it isn't unheard of either.

Never personally had a problem with any of the 26s doing it but if it ever happens it'll be the first thing I'd fit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BK said:

Never personally had a problem with any of the 26s

You have a lower chance of the belt exiting off the pump as it's a 4 rib, for whatever reason Nissan decided to go to a 3 rib on the R33 GTS-t, but then back to the 4 rib on the R34 GT-t.

Maybe then decided to use a 3 rib pump to pay homage to R-3-3 LOL...

• 4 weeks later...

Installed, haven't started or run the car yet.

Will do so once I've dropped/changed the oil, spanner/bolt check on everything on it.

Ignore the oil mist, it was from the last event when I ran the car without a seal on the oil cap. I thought the cap was a bit loose, but never really clicked.

The kit looks/feels quite good too, just fitting it with the factory fan & shroud in place was a bit fun. I dabbed a bit of loctite on everything too.

PXL_20230207_032447467.jpg

PXL_20230207_032430409.jpg

PXL_20230207_032420956.jpg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Just do a long smoky burnout on the street. Cheaper and easier than breaking it at track and just as good for testing the idler and the gearbox.

Bonus, if you get it confiscated, then you can stop bitching about it.

soz to break it to you, I'm not a roll racer or drag racer. 

I really need to find a new hobby that doesn't involve this car and spending money.