SAU Community

VQ35DE upgrade potential or HR swap?

Hi guys, I have a 2005 V35 Coupe which is a track car only. I'm looking at getting some more power out of the vq35de is there any modifications which can be done to a budget to get a decent gain? The only modification I can find worth while is supercharging it to gain ~100whp.

I come from owning modified Honda's where engine swaps are generally pretty straight forward. Is there an engine swap to a vq35hr or even the vq37 which can be made to work with the v35 chassis (doesn't matter if some things don't work for example ac/tachometer etc) does it bolt up the same as a de? 

I'm really asking for advice on which may be the most cost effective method to go. 

Thank you.

If you are on a budget, I would forget the HR swap.  Anything is possible with enough $$, but the HR/VHR has a different bolt pattern, plus the dual throttle bodies will need a bit of customisation to get it to fit in a V35, then who knows how much messing around with ECUs would be required to get it working, given the extra throttle body, plus the HR/VHR also has variable exhaust cam timing, which the standard DE doesn't.

Forced induction of your current DE would be cheaper, but you don't really want to skimp on that either if you want the engine to last.

• Like 1

As been said HR swap is not any real improvement vs money.

2 options are boost or LS swap it.
Boost can be reliable but power gains are low for cost. then you have the issues of keeping it cool on track. LS is the way especially a track only car. LS parts are everywhere, big aftermarket and reliable power from a stock engine with a decent cooling system.

EDIT
Sell it and buy a 370z. Faster than a basic modified V35/350z out of the box.

Edited by robbo_rb180
  • Like 1