SAU Community

Mod Plate and Engineers Certificate

Quick question guys and gals.

Will a mod plate from QLD hold up in NSW?

E.g. Car registered in NSW, has a V8 swap done in a shop in QLD and is mod plated there, for all the mods done.

Will the mod plate be legal in NSW and will it let you obtain a BlueSlip in NSW? Or does it need an Engineers Certificate in NSW?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that there is no reciprocal recognition between the 2 states' agencies.

I would be surprised if having a QLD mod plate and supporting doco didn't make it a lot easier to convince a NSW engineer to give you a cert. You would still have to satisfy whatever demands the engineer has on top of whatever differences NSW will have cf QLD.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

I'm pretty sure that there is no reciprocal recognition between the 2 states' agencies.

I would be surprised if having a QLD mod plate and supporting doco didn't make it a lot easier to convince a NSW engineer to give you a cert. You would still have to satisfy whatever demands the engineer has on top of whatever differences NSW will have cf QLD.

Yeah i think if the car had mod plates, it might be abit more easier to get a NSW Cert as well. Totally depends on the engineer though. Anyone know any "good" engineers in NSW? lol

Its a engine and transmission swap with a new tailshaft and exhaust. Shouldn't be too hard aye? 😂

Sadly in SA the police won't care about nor recognise any form of mod plate or certification, as you could easily (and likely) have modified the car (in an illegal way) post-mod-certificate anyhow. They send you to the pits if they don't understand the car in any way, shape or form :(

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

Sadly in SA the police won't care about nor recognise any form of mod plate or certification, as you could easily (and likely) have modified the car (in an illegal way) post-mod-certificate anyhow. They send you to the pits if they don't understand the car in any way, shape or form :(

DAMN!!! That sounds harsh man!

People in QLD have done a LS swap into a V35 and gotten it mod plated, no issues. Dont know why the other states have to be such a pain 😢

Oh, it's not quite as bad as all that here in SA. The cops can and will be dicks, but not always. If you have the paperwork on hand for mods that have been through Regency and approved if/when you are pulled over, then the decent cops will go over that and compare with what they see. An obvious swap from a VQ to an LS is not hard to understand. If a brake upgrade is required and was on the car when it was inspected, it would be very unreasonable to suspect that the big brakes were pulled off and replaced with the stockers. No-one would want to do that even if they were a tightarse meth addicted loser from the outer suburbs. But, if the LS had a seriously lumpy idle, massive exhaust noise, MAFless intake, etc etc, ie all signs that it has since been modified (and would not have likely been approved at Regency inspection), then you can assume that the cops will just sticker it and make you prove it's as-approved.

The usual story here is people get a car inspected with coilovers on it, which is doable, then go and drop it into the weeds the day after the inspection. "But it was approved yesterday" means nothing, as Nightcrawler suggests.

• Like 2

I've gone through the engineering process in NSW and the mod plate process in QLD. Having one or the other when transferring registration between states will not help you. You'll still need to go through that states registration process. 

From my experience, getting a car certified in NSW is a lot more involved/difficult/costly in comparison to getting a mod plate in QLD.

Unfortunately the guy who engineered my swift has long retired, the only decent engineer I know of now in NSW is FINK Engineering. I was going to get the skyline engineered there but ended up moving to QLD before it was done.

Let me know if you've got any specific questions about the NSW engineering process.

15 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I've gone through the engineering process in NSW and the mod plate process in QLD. Having one or the other when transferring registration between states will not help you. You'll still need to go through that states registration process. 

From my experience, getting a car certified in NSW is a lot more involved/difficult/costly in comparison to getting a mod plate in QLD.

Unfortunately the guy who engineered my swift has long retired, the only decent engineer I know of now in NSW is FINK Engineering. I was going to get the skyline engineered there but ended up moving to QLD before it was done.

Let me know if you've got any specific questions about the NSW engineering process.

Thanks for the response mate. 

So i am looking at getting my V35 Skyline LS Swapped by a shop in QLD. They've done alot of these swaps in the past and didn't have any issues get them mod plated in QLD.

After looking around forums and asking people, I now realize that the car will need to be engineered by a VSCCS licensed certifier. Looking at the Service NSW website, its shows a list of accepted places to get the car certified. Among the list are 5-6 places in QLD that are also accepted certifiers. 

You think it will be easier to get a mod plate, and then an Engineers Certificate by an approved certifier in QLD? Or get the conversion done and then have the car certified in NSW? Are FINK Engineering "tough" to deal with? 

I feel that a certifier in QLD might be abit more "sympathetic" seeing a QLD mod plate 😂. Dont mind paying for both a mod plate and engineers cert. 

28 minutes ago, nitznair said:

Thanks for the response mate. 

So i am looking at getting my V35 Skyline LS Swapped by a shop in QLD. They've done alot of these swaps in the past and didn't have any issues get them mod plated in QLD.

After looking around forums and asking people, I now realize that the car will need to be engineered by a VSCCS licensed certifier. Looking at the Service NSW website, its shows a list of accepted places to get the car certified. Among the list are 5-6 places in QLD that are also accepted certifiers. 

You think it will be easier to get a mod plate, and then an Engineers Certificate by an approved certifier in QLD? Or get the conversion done and then have the car certified in NSW? Are FINK Engineering "tough" to deal with? 

I feel that a certifier in QLD might be abit more "sympathetic" seeing a QLD mod plate 😂. Dont mind paying for both a mod plate and engineers cert. 

I'm a little bit confused, what state do you live in/where will the Skyline be registered?

If the car is registered in NSW, you don't need a QLD mod plate. 

I found Fink Engineering very good to deal with. The legislation is interpreted by the engineer, I found their interpretation was very similar to my interpretation. This made the process of working with them very smooth sailing. 

This is a good example of my views and an engineers views not lining up. I once spoke with an engineer in NSW that wanted me to have the car engineered after I removed the rear seat and rear seatbelts. He was more then a little annoyed that all I did was have the car blue slipped and registered as a 2 seater. He thought that was a gross inadequacy after the 'substantial' modifications I had made and the RMS should not have accepted the blue slip without the vehicle being engineered. 

I've also spoken with engineers that charge $250 per hour and 'round up' to the nearest 15 minute block when billing. So if I needed to very quickly speak to them over the phone, that will be $60 thanks. 

No issues like that with Fink. 

Edited by Murray_Calavera

23 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I'm a little bit confused, what state do you live in/where will the Skyline be registered?

If the car is registered in NSW, you don't need a QLD mod plate. 

I found Fink Engineering very good to deal with. The legislation is interpreted by the engineer, I found their interpretation was very similar to my interpretation. This made the process of working with them very smooth sailing. 

This is a good example of my views and an engineers views not lining up. I once spoke with an engineer in NSW that wanted me to have the car engineered after I removed the rear seat and rear seatbelts. He was more then a little annoyed that all I did was have the car blue slipped and registered as a 2 seater. He thought that was a gross inadequacy after the 'substantial' modifications I had made and the RMS should not have accepted the blue slip without the vehicle being engineered. 

I've also spoken with engineers that charge $250 per hour and 'round up' to the nearest 15 minute block when billing. So if I needed to very quickly speak to them over the phone, that will be $60 thanks. 

No issues like that with Fink. 

Sorry on being a lil vague mate. 

Car is currently registered in NSW and will remain registered here. Why i wanted to get a mod plate is that i wanted to get the engineering certificate done in QLD as well. The car will be going to QLD to get the engine conversion done so might as well get a mod plate and engineers certificate done there. Yeah i dont need a mod plate if the car will be registered in NSW, but if i am getting the engineers certificate in QLD, might as well get a mod plate there for extra brownie points aye! LOL. Like the engineer doing the certificate in QLD might see the mod plate and go easy on the car? That's my thinking lol. 

There are a few Engineers in QLD that are recognized and approved by Service NSW. So might as well get the Engineers Certificate done there, while the car is there.

I just got a reply from an engineer here in NSW. He says that since the engine power will increase by over 20% after the conversion, i will need to hire a track here in NSW for $5500 ,to do a brake test!!! WTF!! Is that a thing? I already have a big brake kit on the car.

Did FINK tell you about costs and what tests needed to be done etc?

Going from a 3.5L V6 to a 6.0L V8 😁

14 minutes ago, nitznair said:

Sorry on being a lil vague mate. 

Car is currently registered in NSW and will remain registered here. Why i wanted to get a mod plate is that i wanted to get the engineering certificate done in QLD as well. The car will be going to QLD to get the engine conversion done so might as well get a mod plate and engineers certificate done there. Yeah i dont need a mod plate if the car will be registered in NSW, but if i am getting the engineers certificate in QLD, might as well get a mod plate there for extra brownie points aye! LOL. Like the engineer doing the certificate in QLD might see the mod plate and go easy on the car? That's my thinking lol. 

There are a few Engineers in QLD that are recognized and approved by Service NSW. So might as well get the Engineers Certificate done there, while the car is there.

I just got a reply from an engineer here in NSW. He says that since the engine power will increase by over 20% after the conversion, i will need to hire a track here in NSW for $5500 ,to do a brake test!!! WTF!! Is that a thing? I already have a big brake kit on the car.

Did FINK tell you about costs and what tests needed to be done etc?

Going from a 3.5L V6 to a 6.0L V8 😁

Ok got ya. I'll just ramble some dot points below - 

Yeah.... hiring a track to do a brake test is indeed a thing. One of the tests that you can complete to certify the brakes requires to stop the car from 160KPH, so can't do that on a public road. There are other tests that can be completed instead of this which can be done on a public road.... This is another example of finding an engineer that interprets the legislation the same way that you do. I would use an engineer that is happy to do the brake test on a public road. 

The engineering process in NSW requires the car to meet the emissions regulations that were in place at the time that the vehicle was manufactured. Are there places in QLD that can easily complete the emissions test for you? There are 2 places in NSW that can do the test for you, from memory it's a free test and can be done at Botany/Penrith. 

I don't know if there is any advantage to having the engineering process completed in QLD. I would think it would be much easier being able to speak with the engineer in person to complete the process. 

Your big brake kit is technically illegal until it is certified by an engineer. Have a look at the document I've attached, check points 16 and 17 under brakes.

I already know the process, so when I was speaking with Fink we covered costs and if he would be happy to sign off on my mods and if he would be happy to sign off future mods as they developed. He didn't have any issues with my car or my plans. I found his pricing to be very fair based on the current marked of engineers (well, at least competed to the other engineers I spoke too). 

RMS-13.464-Light-vehicle-modifications-Vehicle-Standards-Information-No-6-November-2013.pdf

29 minutes ago, nitznair said:

Yes, it's a thing, and that is why you would be wasting your time to get the mod plate first. When yo first asked your question, I took your meaning to be that the car was already engine converted and mod plated in QLD.

And yes, you will need to do a brake test/demonstration of some sort. Murray got in before I typed any more, so I shan't. Except to say, who is to say that your big brake kit actually does what it says on the box?

2 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I don't know if there is any advantage to having the engineering process completed in QLD. I would think it would be much easier being able to speak with the engineer in person to complete the process. 

Besides which - you really want to get the engineer on board and everything that you need to do agreed before you do the work. The fact that the car has to go to QLD for the work is not sufficient justification for making dealing with the engineer harder (because of distance).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Ok got ya. I'll just ramble some dot points below - 

Yeah.... hiring a track to do a brake test is indeed a thing. One of the tests that you can complete to certify the brakes requires to stop the car from 160KPH, so can't do that on a public road. There are other tests that can be completed instead of this which can be done on a public road.... This is another example of finding an engineer that interprets the legislation the same way that you do. I would use an engineer that is happy to do the brake test on a public road. 

The engineering process in NSW requires the car to meet the emissions regulations that were in place at the time that the vehicle was manufactured. Are there places in QLD that can easily complete the emissions test for you? There are 2 places in NSW that can do the test for you, from memory it's a free test and can be done at Botany/Penrith. 

Your big brake kit is technically illegal until it is certified by an engineer. Have a look at the document I've attached, check points 16 and 17 under brakes.

I already know the process, so when I was speaking with Fink we covered costs and if he would be happy to sign off on my mods and if he would be happy to sign off future mods as they developed. He didn't have any issues with my car or my plans. I found his pricing to be very fair based on the current marked of engineers (well, at least competed to the other engineers I spoke too). 

RMS-13.464-Light-vehicle-modifications-Vehicle-Standards-Information-No-6-November-2013.pdf 365.92 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks heaps for this information on the brakes bro! Had no clue. 

These big brakes that i have on my car at the moment, were offered in in a later/different model of the same car. The 2003 Auto V35 came with 2 pot brakes but the same year manual came with 4 pot brakes. Those are the brakes i have on, but i do get your point that it needs to be certified. 

I was hoping to get the car certified in QLD coz if there are any issues arising from the conversion, that are picked during the certification process, the conversion shop can rectify them there and then. Saves me finding a shop here in NSW to rectify issues, if something were to arise. That way the shop and the engineer can work together to ensure everything goes smoothly. Like get everything sorted in QLD and then just rego the car here.

Getting certified in NSW is defiently an option, provided i don't have to pay 5k for a track! LOL. Time to find someone who will conduct the test on the M4 hahaha!

31 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Besides which - you really want to get the engineer on board and everything that you need to do agreed before you do the work. The fact that the car has to go to QLD for the work is not sufficient justification for making dealing with the engineer harder (because of distance).

Yes, I should have mentioned that. For the average bear, this is 100% the correct way to do things. 

My approach is a little unorthodox, in that I have an understanding of the rules/process so I'm happy to build my car first. Then find an engineer that is on the same page as me. So far I haven't had any issues operating this way in either NSW or QLD. 

Nitznair, if I was in your shoes I would find the engineer first before completing the engine swap. You've already started to discover how difficult some engineers are to work with, you don't want to end up with an unregisterable car after completing the swap. 

2 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Yes, I should have mentioned that. For the average bear, this is 100% the correct way to do things. 

My approach is a little unorthodox, in that I have an understanding of the rules/process so I'm happy to build my car first. Then find an engineer that is on the same page as me. So far I haven't had any issues operating this way in either NSW or QLD. 

Nitznair, if I was in your shoes I would find the engineer first before completing the engine swap. You've already started to discover how difficult some engineers are to work with, you don't want to end up with an unregisterable car after completing the swap. 

Yes i agree with you mate. I need to talk with FINK and some others, and find out if the plans i have for the LS swap, will be certifiable. Like u said, no point doing everything and finding out the car cant be registered. 

Better to get an engineer on board from the get go. Someone that sees things how i see them, and isn't out to make a quick buck at my expense. 

Who did you communicate with at Fink? Any email address? I think they're in Wollongong and i am Western Sydney side. 

9 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

What mods have you gotten certified bro? For what car? 

9 minutes ago, nitznair said:

Yes i agree with you mate. I need to talk with FINK and some others, and find out if the plans i have for the LS swap, will be certifiable. Like u said, no point doing everything and finding out the car cant be registered. 

Better to get an engineer on board from the get go. Someone that sees things how i see them, and isn't out to make a quick buck at my expense. 

Who did you communicate with at Fink? Any email address? I think they're in Wollongong and i am Western Sydney side. 

Pretty sure its only the one bloke operating Fink Engineering, I think it's Troy Brodie but my memory is a bit hazy on it. 

I only spoke with him over the phone, 0423 183 624.

10 minutes ago, nitznair said:

What mods have you gotten certified bro? For what car? 

Do you mean the turbo swift? That was the car I went through engineering with in NSW. 

My skyline is mod plated in QLD. 

Both cars are/were pretty extensively modified, would take a while to list it all lol. 

10 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Do you mean the turbo swift? That was the car I went through engineering with in NSW. 

My skyline is mod plated in QLD. 

Both cars are/were pretty extensively modified, would take a while to list it all lol. 

Who did the certification on the turbo swift in NSW? Fink?