SAU Community

Mod Plate and Engineers Certificate

If you do this....

2 hours ago, nitznair said:

Better to get an engineer on board from the get go.

...then you don't have to worry so much about this....

3 hours ago, nitznair said:

if there are any issues arising from the conversion, that are picked during the certification process, the conversion shop can rectify them there and then

Besides, if it were me, I'd be wanting to know I had a shop close to home that is useful for such things anyway.

Mod plate won't help you in NSW. Hardest part of getting engineered in NSW is passing emissions. Engineer that did my r34 stopped doing engineers certs so won't be able to help you there sorry.

13 minutes ago, MrRx7s3 said:

Mod plate won't help you in NSW. Hardest part of getting engineered in NSW is passing emissions. Engineer that did my r34 stopped doing engineers certs so won't be able to help you there sorry.

Damn man! Stock cats should pass emissions aye? Do you know of any other "trusted" engineers mate? 

Man my r34 was basically stock and failed with stock cat by a mile, ended up getting a euro 5 spec cat installed and just passed... also before you go for the test go for a nice spirited 30-45 minute drive get the cat nice and hot.

even the bloke at the testing centre was telling me that this law is pathetic, they want a 20+ year old car to pass emissions as if it were brand new, he also said that if you get a brand new car put a few hundred kms on it and it will fail emissions... I'll shoot my engineer a message see if he knows someone, he was great very helpful and half the price of everyone else.

6 minutes ago, MrRx7s3 said:

Man my r34 was basically stock and failed with stock cat by a mile, ended up getting a euro 5 spec cat installed and just passed... also before you go for the test go for a nice spirited 30-45 minute drive get the cat nice and hot.

even the bloke at the testing centre was telling me that this law is pathetic, they want a 20+ year old car to pass emissions as if it were brand new, he also said that if you get a brand new car put a few hundred kms on it and it will fail emissions... I'll shoot my engineer a message see if he knows someone, he was great very helpful and half the price of everyone else.

Ohhhh it has to pass current emissions standards? That's f**ked! Lol. Mines a 2003 V35 Skyline, thats going to be LS swapped 😂😂

That would be really helpful bro. Do let me know if he replies please. 

9 hours ago, nitznair said:

Ohhhh it has to pass current emissions standards? That's f**ked! Lol. Mines a 2003 V35 Skyline, thats going to be LS swapped 😂😂

That would be really helpful bro. Do let me know if he replies please. 

No it doesn't. It has to meet the standards that was in place at the time the vehicle was constructed. 

If your car was, I think, older then 1985, then you don't need an emissions test as there were no emissions standards/requirements at that time. 

If you are having trouble passing emissions, have a chat with a good tuner. It's not 'hard' to pass emissions, the car just has to be setup to pass emissions....  again this just adds to the overall cost involved in getting your certification. 

I am 100% confident that I could tune/setup a skyline to pass emissions and I'm not a professional tuner by trade.

21 hours ago, MrRx7s3 said:

I once hinted that a supercharged engine would probably fail (because of emissions) and man did i get burnt by an angry member.

PS: you may wish to edit your post and remove all the carriage returns. I had to take it out of the above quote.

Edited by Vee37

4 minutes ago, nitznair said:

Would putting on a bunch of catalytic converters lower emissions? 

Say for example you have 4 cats on your exhaust, instead of the usual 2

No, the cat needs to come up to temperature before it works. Plugging up the exhaust with multiple cats will not help you.

Just get a good quality euro 5 or 6, 400+ cell cat and you'll be fine.

17 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

No, the cat needs to come up to temperature before it works. Plugging up the exhaust with multiple cats will not help you.

Just get a good quality euro 5 or 6, 400+ cell cat and you'll be fine.

And then once you pass emissions, get a custom straight pipe done aye? 🤣

Once you get the engineers, its just doing pink slips yearly and rego? No more dramas yeah? 

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

correct, except importantly you can get defected at any time if the police *think* your car may not be legal, engineered or not. You will need to have the car re-inspected if so which would include checking back to the engineered details

Ahhh gotcha. Yep no silly things like dark tints, slammed to the ground, overly loud exhaust, driving like a dumb flamin mongrel etc aye 🤣🤣. Just try to look and drive as "stock" as possible 😉🤣🤣

Yep no silly things like

a custom straight pipe

You would be best to retain a cat. A nice big low cell count cat will do something to clean up the exhaust and largely prevent the big black stain that would be a giveaway to the above if you just had a 1 cell cat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

You would be best to retain a cat. A nice big low cell count cat will do something to clean up the exhaust and largely prevent the big black stain that would be a giveaway to the above if you just had a 1 cell cat.

Ohh that's good advice man. Like a 100 cell or something aye?