SAU Community

URAS body kit material

JC71

does anyone know what the URAS R34 body kit material is ??

https://www.nengun.com/uras/type-r-r34-skyline-2-door

FRP or "fiber reinforced plastic" is not specific enough,

I am using their various components constructing a custom build body kit

but cant seem to find a material that is "plastic weld" compatible.

I have tired to find a URAS contact with no luck.

thanks

FRP ( Fiber-reinforced plastic) or fiber reinforced polymer is not specific as there are hundreds of versions depending on what compounds and percentages and combinations are used.  Most are synthetic such as polypropylene or thermosets or thermoplastics like polystyrene, some use various rubber base.

The polymer is usually an epoxy, vinyl ester, polyester thermosetting plastic, or phenol resins

Fiber can be any number of things, glass like in fiberglass, carbon, graphite any combination of that and others. other structural substrates have been used as well.

“Plastic” is also a very generic term.

Either way, Someone has to know the actual compound used, and based on this, what compatible material can be used to weld together and or if a resin , epoxy or means of other bonding methods are more suitable.

5 hours ago, JC71 said:

Most are synthetic such as polypropylene or thermosets or thermoplastics like polystyrene, some use various rubber base.

These are all referring to the fibres, so play no part in the question of whether or not you can weld to it.

5 hours ago, JC71 said:

The polymer is usually an epoxy, vinyl ester, polyester thermosetting plastic, or phenol resins

I'm pretty sure that not one of those can be welded.

It's just fibreglass and resin, and the resin will either be unsaturated polyester resin or vinyl ester resin. The latter is more expensive, so less common on kits that are meant to be disposable. Your best bet is to test a patch under the front bumper where no one can see, to check the bonding properties of another resin you'll be using. You can't use plastic weld on it. Is yours an original URAS kit or a copy made in China or in Australia? Manufacturers will use different materials to ensure quality of product or to reduce costs.

biggest question and ultimate factor is if its thermoplastic or thermoset , this would tell me if this can be melted down, and or remolded, or if a external adhesive has to be used.

No-one is saying that you can't use adhesives on FRP. You'd typically use a Sikaflex type adhesive if you need to glue pieces on. Some double sided tapes have pretty mental adhesion these days for ditto.

Blending in is another matter althogether Most overfender type things aren't really blended in, which is why most of them look great from 30' away but like a 6 yo boy's drawing of a race car from close up. Anything that is blended in completely is either bogged or not plastic.

The "can't weld" literally just means that you cannot do the type of plastic welding that is used on thermoplastics (like radiator end tanks, or OEM bumpers made from PUR or ABS type plastics).

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, Kinkstaah said:

Off topic (but also somewhat on topic as I have a URAS kit in my living room)

If nothing sticks nor bonds to this, how exactly does it get fitted to a car/blended in with other panels (in the case of their rear overfenders and the like)

You can grind back fibreglass and resin and add more fibreglass and resin to alter its shape. To blend to panels you just use bog to smooth it out, bog material can have fibres mixed in too so they have similar expansion properties as the fibreglass and resin - that way they don’t crack or warp after being on the car for a while.

I bought an R32 Golf bodykit for my MK4 GTI which was PUR, so to shave the indicator holes and remove the exhaust cutouts, I simply plastic welded offcuts from scrap PUR bumpers, then sanded/shaved it down to a smooth finish.

• Thanks 1