SAU Community

Why R34s wont ever become as common or as affordable as R33s

pentae

A lot of you may not know this, but our government is once again stopping Australian car enthusiasts from enjoying their cars and what makes us Australian.

Every month the Government, and in particular the Department of Transport and Regional Services (DOTARS) is trying to pass laws to make it more time consuming, expensive and risky for us to import the vehicles we love to drive.

You might love the car your driving now, but what about your next car? Did you know that DOTARS have been putting a lot of importers, compliancing centers, car yards and many other small businesses tied into the import industry out of business?

DOTARS have publically admitted to actively trying to restrict the amount of import vehicles, and seem to be motivated only to support the large suppliers so they can continue to rip us off with locally delivered cars.

If you love your car, your probably not going to want to settle for a 2007 model holden commodore when it comes time to move forward, because it seems that if DOTARS have their way, importing an R34 or the other latest offerings in Japan in a few years from now will simply cost too much money or not be possible.

If things where left the way they where in 1998/99, in a couple of years we would be able to import '99 model R34 GTRs for the mid to high $30,000 mark.

The previous Minister for Transport and Regional Services, the Hon. John Anderson MP was recently removed and was replaced with the Hon. Jim Lloyd MP.

I recommend to everyone to take a look at the following URL to 'school yourselves up' on the reality of these laws THAT AFFECT ALL OF US AND OUR CARS here:

http://www.r34skyline.com/politics/our_sub..._submission.pdf

Teaser: SAU Gets a mention!

And contact your local MP, in person, by phone, by fax.. whatever it takes.

It's come to my attention that politicans dont take emails seriously, so if you can print a letter and send it in the mail, pop in and visit them, or give them a call it makes a MUCH bigger impression.

The new Minister for DOTARS, Jim Lloyd needs to hear what WE THINK about how his department has been run in the past, and he needs to know the reality of the situation.

IF WE DO NOT DO THIS THERE WILL BE NO 'IMPORT SCENE' in a few years.

Contact details for the Hon. Jim Lloyd MP are:

Email

[email protected]

Parliament House Contact

House of Representatives

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6277 7060

Fax: (02) 6273 7112

Electorate Office Contact

Gosford Office:

91 - 93 Mann Street

Gosford NSW 2250

Postal Address:

PO Box 577

Gosford NSW 2250

Tel: (02) 4325 1604

Fax: (02) 4323 4555

DOTARS have publically admitted to actively trying to restrict the amount of import vehicles, and seem to be motivated only to support the large suppliers so they can continue to rip us off with locally delivered cars.

Are you surprised???

I'm not... makes perfect sense to me

pipe down, large importers have always been trying to cut out the low volume import market alternative.

The government's not all that bad...

For example, come 2010 1 January, Customs Duty on all used cars AND parts will be halved from 10% to 5%.

There's also the ACCC which is looking into anti-competitive methods used by large distributors against small businesses and DOTARS involvement.

Read my other thread which gives a bit of insight into what's being discussed in parliament etc.

Pissing off the minister in charge (well it'll never get to him, but it'll piss his PR staff off) only makes matters worse. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. There's laws to protect us and there's laws we have to abide by.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post here and I am sure some of you may not agree but what the hell. I for one hope the R34 Skyline never becomes as popular as the R32 and R33 because from the bit that I know and from what I have seen, the R34 is by far the best. I thought the same about the 98 WRX too but then every man and his dog had one and they lost their appeal. As much as I would love to see them rule the road, some things just shouldn't. It may not be a fair comparison but who would pay $3 or 400,000 for a Ferrari if there where thousands on the road. I think $30 or 40000 for an R34 GTR is a bargain because I see very few in Perth caompared to the other ones

if they became readily availble to be purchased and cheap then obviosly their popularity would rise. such as the r33's have.

i remember reading that imports rose from 4k to 12k in one year due to the r33.

now the govt. doesnt like this because these people are not buying aust cars. and then hence what about all the austrialian 's employed by holden, ford, toyota, mitsu etc.

it's a catch 22.

OK IVE HAD ENOUGH!! I want to break this cycle by importing a R34 GTR into the country privately but i need everyones help. IS ANYONE INTERESTED IN MAKING $1000 FOR DOING ABSOLUTELY ****ALL?? When i say absolutely ****all i mean if you can hook me up with a dealer in Japan that can get me a R34 GTR for their real price (unlike the price they sell them at car yards 80-100k, remember GTRs are in Japan what Holden SS are here, in other words nothing special) and are successfull in providing me this service, ill give you 1 thousand $ cash, and this is not a ***ing joke.

Yeah just with a R34 Gt-t i saw that the stockyards do put prices up heaps....

a black R34 gtt was imported through Prestige for 32k and appeared at the price of 44k on the stock yard.....so buying on of these privately by importation will be much cheaper ( GTR i am referring to now)

This is my first post here and I am sure some of you may not agree but what the hell.  I for one hope the R34 Skyline never becomes as popular as the R32 and R33 because from the bit that I know and from what I have seen, the R34 is by far the best.  I thought the same about the 98 WRX too but then every man and his dog had one and they lost their appeal.  As much as I would love to see them rule the road, some things just shouldn't.  It may not be a fair comparison but who would pay $3 or 400,000 for a Ferrari if there where thousands on the road.  I think $30 or 40000 for an R34 GTR is a bargain because I see very few in Perth caompared to the other ones

i think thats a pretty stupid comment to make, i for one hope to see more r34's on the road as i think its an awesome car. Disliking a car just because everyone else has one is pretty stupid imho ... and i dont' think it depreciates the cars value too much anyways. besides there definitely won't be as many r34's imported mainly cause there wasn't that many produced.

and also,

Why can't we all have a ferrari?? the cheaper the better ...

• 3 weeks later...