SAU Community

r33 GTST brake callipers on r34 GT

Hi guys,

New member here.

Im looking at doing a brake upgrade on my 1998 r34 gt coupe (non turbo)

I'm looking at R33 GTST brakes.

Can anyone confirm if R33 GTST brake callipers are direct bolt onto R34 GT?? (front and rear)

Even if the fronts fit and the rears don't or other way around.

If not, can anyone confirm which bigger Nissan brakes are?

Looking for any information I can get to make my life easier.

I know there has been discussion around this but unfortunately I have not found a definite answer.

Thanks guys

100% compatibility between R33 GTST and R34 GT. Both ends. Info is definitely out there, but people somehow being confused despite it being confirmed many times is somewhat funny.

The R34 GTT has larger bolt holes. It can be fixed by drilling 14mm bolt holes instead of of the 12 that the R33GTST and R34 GT has.

• Like 1

So, they 100% line up and all you have to do is drill the holes in the uprights.

An alternative is to knock out the knurled and 14mm threaded inserts in the calipers and get some replacements made but with M12 threads in. Which is what I did.

On 7/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, calebwatttts34 said:

Different bolt sizes

33gtst fronts are m12

r34 gt and gtt fronts are m14

So they do line up!

As per Gtsboy you have 2 options. I still have some threaded Inserts as per what gtsboy used.

Actually to put the wheels back on they dont even bolt on ( they nut on, thats the term) , so you are shit out of luck either way here mate.

On 7/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, calebwatttts34 said:

My brother in Christ you drive a commodore, shut up 

Cmon man. Dont make me point out you drive a non turbo rb25.

Anyway good work upgrading brakes.  Given enough run up those rb25s can build a little bit of speed!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Then you don't have what you say you have, one way or the other.

That.

Maybe you have a GTT Knuckle or something along those lines. Or maybe R34 GT's really have a 14mm hole, though I didn't have that issue when I directly bolted R33 GTST brakes onto my R34 directly. I did have to drill the hub out to 14mm later though to fit a R34 GTT based kit.

3 hours ago, calebwatttts34 said:

Not interested in threaded inserts.

I asked if they were straight bolt on. That isn’t straight bolt on

It is so close to "bolt on" that it doesn't even bear discussion. The original threaded inserts push out with almost no effort and the new ones go in with the same total lack of effort. You cannot even tell them apart afterwards, and you can put the original inserts in your back pocket for later if you feel the need.

Hell. I even have the 14mm inserts from my R34 calipers here, in a box, from, I dunno Ben...how many years ago is it that I put them on? 5 years? I could walk out to the shed and find them in less than 60s.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1

No-one seems to have considered that R34 rotors are thinner than R33 (26mm vs 30mm). I suspect there will be a problem that the pistons might pop out if the pads wear too thin.

I would not bother upgrading the rears - the majority of braking is done by the front brakes. I suggest upgrading the fronts to R32 GT-R rotors / calipers. The rotors are larger diameter (296mm) , and thicker (32mm) than the R34 setup. At the least, GTSt rotors / calipers (280mm dia, 30mm thick).