SAU Community

Is the 350z any good?

I saw a Top Gear review of the 350 recently, (who btw liked the skyline), and they basically said the 350z was rubbish! and the convertible is even worse! Would that be a fair conclusion based from people who have driven them?

I gotta say, I'm not crash hot on the styling of the 350z but by the sounds of it, looks aside, it's not a very good car anyway? Like they said the interior was dogdy, engine was whiney, no boot, weird styling, average handling etc etc, was all a bit grim. French engine in japanese car designed by an Indian!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the engine breathless above 5000rpm and the understeer was pretty bad then snappy oversteer. Apparently for the Euro it was hammered so they improved the handling which is supposed to now be for all markets. Those were my only gripes.

Top Gear is a good, but biased, show. If a car isn't British they tend to find a lot of niggling things wrong with it.

I was thinking of buying one recently so I spoke to a few dealers and no-one could get me one to test drive. I was pretty keen so I went and saw them at the Nissan dealer so they could know I was serious, the girl phoned around for 2 weeks trying to get me a track, 6mt, coupe for a drive but no luck.

In the end i forgot about the 350 and went with something else.

Oh that and they wanted $91k for a Track, Manual with Sat Nav, factory option Bilsteins and dealer option Nismo LMGT4 18" rims.

$91k!!! - F that.

I agree with geoff, I drove both the 350z & the RX8 when they first came out.. and the perfect car would be an RX8 with the 350z Motor... plus some turbo's if you don't mind.

I loved the 350z, but it's strictly a 2seater +handbag... type of car. No luggage space, love the engine, but it certainly feels breathless over 5000rpm, heeps of low down torque..but nothing uptop. Unlike the RX8, the only flaw was that pissy engine, it's gutless under ~6000rpm.. and for an everyday driver it would put me to sleep. It definately has the better whole package, interior, space, luggage... but that engine no no no.

But unfortunately that won't fix the dismal handling, it will just highlight it. 350's have won some events recently in Dutton NSW and Vic, but that was apparently skid pan stuff with traction control (Dutton Button :))

For the price, it should handle much better since they consider it a "sports" car.

well we all know renault was a major destroyer of the 350z

if they released the 350z as a twin turbo like they should have, they would have sold 100 times more

could have continued the cult following of twin turbos, IE GTR, 300zx, Supra

The way things are at the moment, with both the RX8 and the 350Z - the manufacturers have given themselves room to improve and get feedback on what people want more.

Unfortunately if they released the perfect package straight off, they wouldn't be future-proofing themselves... though it also means the customers (or journos??) get to have their 2c input into the design based on their reactions of the 1st generation of each.

The 350Z has been very well reviewed, with the most notable exceptions of Top Gear (which hate pretty much anything that isn't British or a supercar) and Autospeed (suspension has been revised since).

I don't buy the "Renault screwed it line": that's baseless crap. They couldn't release a TT version if they wanted to (emissions issues) and have actually made any money (there goes Europe and California, two biggest markets).

Best bet: drive one yourself.

LW.

Top Gear is a good, but biased, show. If a car isn't British they tend to find a lot of niggling things wrong with it.  

Speaking of Top Gear... has anyone see the review on the Chrysler Crossfire? HAHAHAHAHA!! ;) :headspin:

I'm more than happy with ours, its a great little car.

Of course it is not a practical car, but we did notice that before we bought it, it wasn't an issue when we are buying a stagea as well.

I've only got 2 complaints about it, the brakes are *appalling*, single piston calipers, I cooked them after only 2 laps of Eastern Creek, billowing smoke out :). Also, they do have a lot of mid corner understeer when you really push them on the track. You won't notice it on the road but it is there. It is a heavy car.

But I found the tail quite lively: www.hgeconsulting.com.au/doyouthinkyouarepete1.wmv

re the brakes I'm pleased to say r32 gtr / r33gtst brakes are a bolt in upgrade ;)

Those who are panning it based on a video should give it a drive.....it is a very torquey motor compared to the rb25, and it has a lurvely note with a pod on it :)http://www.hgeconsulting.com.au/zeddyno.wmv