SAU Community

Anyone Sent import approval lately??

OohArrGTR

How are you going to fax through the authorised copy of your ID (eg. license, passport)? For it to be authorised, the signature and details of the person (JP, lawyer, etc) must be on the back of the photocopy...

Unless of course you have imported before and they already have an authorised copy of some form of ID?

LW.

Don't say that :rofl: I faxed mine through, i hope it goes through or else im in biig trouble if the car arrives with no approval :|

Ive just emailed DOTARS to check but i will probably give them a call tomorrow to find out :flamed:

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cheap considering what I was originally quoted for shipping (around $1500)...,certainly won't be complaining if costs come in similar to yours, I budgeted $6K for all these 'extras'...

I was also told that I would be up for $1700 ocean freight... and more GST and other duties... I budgeted $5500 for getting the car to OZ.

But since I got the invoice straight from the shipping co. (because I bugged them instead of agent... I think I was getting on my agents nerves >> understandable) The lady said she would forward me a copy of the invoice and arrange delivery of car to location of my choice once payment was made. That was on Thursday last week and I have now paid the invoice (Monday), car will be delivered on Thursday or Friday coming from Brissy.

Now compliance... almost done with this bullshit!!!

Just been advised my cars booked to ship on 18/9 with arrival in Melbourne around 4/10.

And then the fun really begins :rofl: My car has provisionally been booked on a ship leaving in what was 4-6 weeks (so I guess 3-5 now).

LW.

so are you guys shipping without approval ? thats a bit risky ? what happens if it arrives adn you still havent got approval??

If this includes me..

Import approval turn around times, according to Geoff (when I spoke to him three days before submitting my application), are reasonably quick at the moment. Hence he provisionally booked the car on a ship. Given that it takes a good two weeks to ship anyway, and the import approval only needs to be available when the car lands, thats a minimum of 6 weeks time for DOTARS to cough up the papers. Given that, its highly unlikely they won't be available by then.

LW.

I was also told that I would be up for $1700 ocean freight... and more GST and other duties... I budgeted $5500 for getting the car to OZ.  

But since I got the invoice straight from the shipping co. (because I bugged them instead of agent... I think I was getting on my agents nerves >> understandable) The lady said she would forward me a copy of the invoice and arrange delivery of car to location of my choice once payment was made. That was on Thursday last week and I have now paid the invoice (Monday), car will be delivered on Thursday or Friday coming from Brissy.

Now compliance... almost done with this bullshit!!!

Mine been sitting in the workshop(getting complied) for 2 weeks now.. rang up today, they said that everything is nearly done and they will be sending paper work to Canberra end of this week. From there, would be another few weeks before complaince plate arrives then rego, etc.. So i am exepecting to get the car on the road end of this month, which is not bad as i bought it at the auction on 3rd of July.

Nearly there... after all those sleepless nights(worring) and lots of talking on the phone(bills), it better pay off :rofl:

I think I win for waiting the longest here guys :rofl:

I purchased my GT-R in..... wait for it... DECEMBER 2003 !

I can send off the approval in a matter of weeks now :D

In the time being I also imported a FPY31 Nissan Cima Gloria because I needed something nice to drive around and wanted to do a 'test-run' of importing so to speak :)

I also bought a Mazda 121 to get to work and back

and also have bought....

HKS 2510's, ARC Intercooler, Sard 750cc Injectors, Bosch Pump, Power FC, Z32 AFM's.

All these beautiful parts and nothing to put them on!

The plus side is my mate only took 2 days to fully comply the Cima and get it engineered so I can expect a nice fast turnaround for the R... after I finish doing all the maintenance.

Incase anyone is interested i spoke to DOTARS and they said my faxed photo ID and application had come through clearly so its all good and if they require any more info they will contact me.

So you can fax them guys :cheers:

I still don't see how the photocopy of one's ID can be authorised if its faxed, unless the authorisation is written on the front :confused:

Typical government department :rant:

LW.

I still don't see how the photocopy of one's ID can be authorised if its faxed

You just photo copy your passport or licence, then have your chosen person verify that it's you and sign on a blank part of the photocopy and fax them that. I'm a little surpsied that they don't want an orriginal but why fight it? It's far easier to fax...

Richard

so are you guys shipping without approval ? thats a bit risky ? what happens if it arrives adn you still havent got approval??

Yes it's certainly a concern as I wasn't expecting anything to happen until I had the approval in hand. I've queried the situation with my broker who is very confident that there will be no problems, so I'm very much relying on his experience and judgment. I also spoke with my customs agent today about this and he was also unconcerned as he reckoned the quoted arrival date is optimistic (more like 3 weeks from the date of departure) and there was still plenty of time for approval to arrive. Plus he told me that even if approval wasn't received in time, the car would be put into bonded storage until it did - of course that means storage fees for me :P

As I understand that last bit is incorrect.  A car that arrives without import approval has to be either destroyed or re-exported.  Of course it would have to go back to Japan, I guess NZ or similar would be fine.

That may be the situation under SEVS. This is a direct quote from the DOTARS Vehicle Import Bulletin (VSB10):

"It is strongly recommended that you do not ship your vehicle to Australia until such time as you are issued with an Import Approval. If you do ship your vehicle before receiving an approval and your vehicle arrives before the application is processed, you will incur storage costs."

Good thread guys - I am about to go through this again X 2. (ahhhh)

Getting an '89 R32 GTS-t for my dad (God they are cheap especially autos)

And another good friend of mine is gonna get an '89 MX-5 - so I am helping her out as she has NFI.

Both thru Prestige

Getting an '89 R32 GTS-t for my dad (God they are cheap especially autos)

LOL! You know what they say about great minds Brendan. I'm currently looking for an 89gtst for my girlfriend! And yeah they are cheap as.

Richard