SAU Community

Unregistered car left on the side of the road

SKY000

Hi fellas. I'm hoping someone can help me with a small issue..

Was driving old man's car last night, and it died on me. No RACV cover on it, so pushed it around a back street and left it there overnight (caught a taxi home) til I could decide what to do.

Came back in the evening next day after work, and there's a big yellow sticker talking about 'ABANDONED/UNREGISTERED VEHICLE', and the numberplates have been removed by the police.

What can I do? If I go to the cop station to pick up the plates, they're going to ask how the car got there. I didn't realise I was driving an unregistered car. Can I just make something up, ie - car was stolen, or something similar.

I know it's not nice to ask you guys how to bend the law.. but what can I say - I loathe cops. In retrospect, it seems I should have taken the plates home with me in the taxi.

Thanks guys. =(

DO NOT report it stolen! any suggestion otherwise is stupid... especially on a public forum.

i recommend you simply do nothing other than collect the car and tow it away. Because its out of rego ur going to have to register it again... get a roady and rego it.

I've had my plates taken too.

I drove it home.

Don't worry about the cops. Do this -

1. get the numbers from the car (vin number and whatever else info)

2. go to your road worthy people (VicRoads isnt it in vic?)

3. get a temporary unregistered car driving permit ($30?) and stick it on your car

4. drive it home/pink slip place

5. re register it after you get a pink slip dont worry bout the old plates OR don't re-register it and get a new car or whatever but yea

If you live 200m away skip steps 1-3

DO NOT ADMIT to driving it or doing ANYTHING illegal. DO NOT answer when questioned how it got there for gods sake DON'T admit anything! Don't lie either just say you'd rather not say. If they keep pushing you just say "I wouldn't like to answer as I may incriminate myself by doing so."

Quite simply they can assume you drove it there but without your admission of guilt they can't prove it - so I say again DO NOT ADMIT TO DRIVING IT. - Chances are noone will ask you anyway.

Just get it re-registered/getit home and you'll be right. Then you can decide to re-reg it or wreck it.

Good luck champ.

get ur dad to go and pick it up and tell em that u borrowed the car without him tellin u its unregistered and it broke down. u should do this straight away though.

Do NOT do this.

This ain't a private school daddy does NOT get you off.

This is "improper use of motor vehicle" and has it's own charge.

I am not a lawyer but that is my *reasonable* interpretation - so someone legal-minded may correct me but I'm 99% sure of this.

1stly we need answered, is the car actually unregistered?

Or has it fallen into the 3 month "lapse" period where the car is unreg'd, but you can still just pay it without having to re-rego/RWC the car.

I've had my plates taken too.

I drove it home.

Don't worry about the cops. Do this -  

1. get the numbers from the car (vin number and whatever else info)

2. go to your road worthy people (VicRoads isnt it in vic?)

3. get a temporary unregistered car driving permit ($30?) and stick it on your car  

4. drive it home/pink slip place

5. re register it after you get a pink slip dont worry bout the old plates OR don't re-register it and get a new car or whatever but yea

If you live 200m away skip steps 1-3

exactly, couldnt have put it better.

If its unregistered, you can get an un-rego'd permit for the car.

It totally legal if you drive within few rules of the permit that are given to you when you get the permit.

Then just re-register it, vey simple.

DO NOT ADMIT to driving it or doing ANYTHING illegal. DO NOT answer when questioned how it got there for gods sake DON'T admit anything! Don't lie either just say you'd rather not say. If they keep pushing you just say "I wouldn't like to answer as I may incriminate myself by doing so."  

Quite simply they can assume you drove it there but without your admission of guilt they can't prove it - so I say again DO NOT ADMIT TO DRIVING IT. - Chances are noone will ask you anyway.

why is everyone worrying about the cops?

all they have done is stick an un-reg/abadon sticker onto it and take the plates.

The cops couldnt give a sh|t how it got there, or why its there.

They are just assuming that its been left there for some amount of time, and have put a notice on it that it must be moved or they/council will take it.

I've had them stuck on a car of mine when i left it parked on my street for 3 months as the gearbox had blown and a neighbour complained about it being there.

hope that helps a bit more

lol

Nismoid is right - cops don't give a shit.

But yeah I just thought I'd tell him NOT to listen to the other peoples cos it's just incriminating yourself.

It's like walking into a copshop and saying "i accidently forgot to pay for this chocolate bar" then they have no choice but to charge you even if they don't care.

heh :P

lol

Nismoid is right - cops don't give a shit.

But yeah I just thought I'd tell him NOT to listen to the other peoples cos it's just incriminating yourself.

It's like walking into a copshop and saying "i accidently forgot to pay for this chocolate bar" then they have no choice but to charge you even if they don't care.

heh :P

i smell jail time .

say you were towing it to *insert place* because *insert reason* but u had troubles with the car that was doing the towing so u decided to leave it there and get it in the morning....

simple as pie

Someone might be able to help here. I've been told it's breaking the law to tow a car on public roads using a tow rope? Anyone know if this is true? I think they call it dead towing?

It's this easy. Get a permit for it, go down and tell them it's your car then prove it. When they ask you how it got there 2 words "No comment". They didn't see you in it or driving it so yo have no worries unless you state you were. It shouldn't be a big drama.

One more thing, if it's unregistered then why do you want the plates? Just register it again.