SAU Community

Drag racing suspected in crash deaths-StKilda

Let Me Drive

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEH mate they are saying its a skyline but on fox they said it was a sedan nissan so i would say an r33

they said it looks like they were drag racing when the nissan lost control and hit the pole.

thats all i got on it so far

cay guys

I reckon that guy lives next to me in west melbourne...black r33...I see it every day and yesterday when I left for work he had massive damage to the left rear quarter! It definately lookt as though he'd slammed a pole...but one things for certain he aint no "P" plater.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...55E1702,00.html

Drag racing theory after fatal crash

October 5, 2004

DRAG racing may have been a factor in an early morning Melbourne crash in which an 18-year-old man died.

Sergeant Ron Perrett, of the Major Collision Investigation Unit, today said two cars, a Nissan Skyline and a Honda, were travelling side by side along Dandenong Road at St Kilda when the Skyline struck a power pole shortly after 1am (AEST) today.

The dead man was a back-seat passenger in the Skyline.

Another person in the back seat was critically injured, and two other men in the Skyline were hurt. They were taken to The Alfred hospital.

"We're trying to sort out the reasons why they were travelling together, but we'd be appealing for any witnesses who may have seen either of these vehicles travelling along Dandenong Road or in the Windsor area about one o'clock this morning," Sgt Perrett said on radio station 3AW.

The driver of the Honda stopped at the accident scene and had been "very helpful to police", Sgt Perrett said.

The stretch of Dandenong Road where the accident occurred, west of Chapel Street, passed through a cutting under St Kilda Junction and "certainly has a history of cars using this section of road for racing", Sgt Perrett said.

Police believe all those involved in the crash were in their late teens or early 20s.

The inbound lanes of Dandenong Road were blocked after the accident, but reopened shortly after 7am (AEST).

The death took Victoria's road toll to 270, 18 more than at the same time last year.

AAP

I hope no one here was involved.

This is horrible news... condolences to the deceased's family.

To everyone this should be a valuable lesson, do not drag race on the street, take it to Calder or other race tracks...

Darkboy as long as we all taking about the same one it just happened thismorning.... or am i talking about a diff crash to you guys???

Apologies I didn't know about that incident this morning but hell that aint good news

Yea it's not going to do us any good... I guess it's a warning to all Skyline (Import) drivers to take it easy as we will prob get cracked down on even harder than what we have been...

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

The radio has just said that a second person has died.

Condolences but limited sympathy. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Don't race on the street. Take it to the track.

BASS OUT

I have just left Vic Police Head quarters (as I work for State of Govt) and I just spoke to my mate from head quarters operations and they are preparing a memo for all mobile units to book all P platers with 'illegal' cars. Just be really careful driving over the next few days if you have a turbo and a red P plate in the window! I'll see if I can get more details later in the day. Kepp you posted

Two young men were killed in an apparent street drag racing accident in St Kilda overnight.

The accident occurred about 1.05am when a Nissan Skyline hit a power pole while travelling west along Dandenong Road.

An 18-year-old back-seat passenger in the Skyline died at the scene while another back-seat passenger in his late teens was taken to The Alfred Hospital but has since died. Their names have not yet been released.

The Skyline was travelling side-by-side with a silver Honda at the time of the accident. The driver of the Honda stopped at the scene to assist police with their inquires.

Sergeant Ron Perrett of the Major Collision Investigation Unit said the cause of the accident was still to be confirmed but said the stretch of Dandenong Road where it occurred passes through a cutting under St Kilda Junction and "certainly has a history of cars using this section of road for racing".

"We're trying to sort out the reasons why they were travelling together but we'd be appealing for any witnesses who may have seen either of these vehicles travelling along Dandenong Road or in the Windsor area about one o'clock this morning," Sergeant Perrett told Melbourne radio.

Ambulance spokesman Matt Dowling said another occupant of the Skyline had been taken to The Alfred with a suspected broken collarbone but was in a stable condition. It is not known whether the driver was injured in the accident.

The inbound lanes of Dandenong Road were blocked after the accident but reopened for traffic shortly after 7am.

The death took Victoria's road toll to 271, 19 more than at the same time last year.

Police urge anybody with information about the accident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000