SAU Community

PowerFC Boost Control kit for R32 GTSt

Chris32

Need help with installation of a PowerFC boost control kit on my R32 GTSt

It seems pretty straight forward, in regards to the plumbing of vacuum lines etc, I have downloaded the AVCR manual and the plumbing of the vacuum lines seems to much the same as any other boost controller, but I have just been told by a mate that the connector from the solenoid - it has two wires coming from it, is plugged into the standard solenoid in his car ( a R33 GTS25T )

I assumed these where just a + and - for power and was going to wire them into a 12V power source, as far as I know there is no form of electronic boost control on the R32's?

Any help will be greatly apprieceated :P

Chris

Chris, im just looking at my AVCR (i bought the whole blue screen job before my rb20 went:()

Its going on in a week or so when my motor gets some boost pumped in (YAY :D)

I assume you are talking about the Solenoid valve? Mine has two wires coming out of it going to an electrical plug (One's pink, the other is a dark grey colour)

These get plugged into a plug on the AVCR loom that ive got....this loom connects the solenoid, the pressure sensor and the blue screen controller, then loose wires which get spliced into the ecu loom. The plug from the solenoid changes (from pink/grey) to a red wire and a pink wire on the avcr loom.

the red wire as far as i can see goes to the blue screen, as well as the IG power wire into the ecu....the pink wire off the soleniod plug i can see it goes only to the blue screen plug....dunno what you do with it if you havent got the blue screen though...

Your welcome to come check out the setup i have, incase you cant understand my dribble :)....or just ring Shaun ;)

Looking at what I have, the pressure sensor has a plug that plugs directly into the PowerFC, and there is a vacuum hose from the map sensor to the COM port on the solenoid, and then the other port on the solenoid has the vacuum line from the turbo plug into that

The wires I am talking about are coming of the solenoid, with a plug on the end, I cant remember the colours, but i am pretty sure they are as you say

So it sounds like I am missing something........?

Bloody brilliant...............:D

ive got the whole AVCR kit remember, not just the boost control kit....you may have everything, you just need to know where the wires go :D

edit/ yup you have the same deal as me...do you have a loom that connects the pressure sensor, and the solenoid valve to the ecu?...id assume it would be the same as what i have, minus the connection to go to the blue screen conttoller....in that case the plug off the solenoid valve, would just go into the free plug, then all gets wired into the ecu?

Yeah, well looking at it the other night it seemed like it was all there, thats why I assumed they wher just power wire from the solenoid

They guy I bought it from (slyr33) had it checked out by two places an they assured him it was all there..........

Hopefully someone who has one or there 32 will post a reply up!

Chris

I have sent a email to Greenline, just in case I need a new harness

Hopefully Sydneykid or Targa Tom read this, as I am pretty sure they both have PFC boost control kits on there R32's

Chris

Nah, there isn't - that I know of!

There is three wires coming of the pressure sensor, and the plug of that fits perfectly into the Power FC computer case connection

The only wires that I was puzzled by was the two coming of the Solenoid, which I though where power wires.

Unless the whole thing draws power from the FC box itself, but again that leaves me with two wires coming from the solenoid that I have no idea where they are suposed to go!!!

:confused:!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the wires going to the solenoid need a signal from somwhere to control boost pressure, as the only connection between the pressure sensor and the solenoid is a vacuum line :confused:

This is what is leading me to believe that there is a wirinh harness or something missing

Chris

sorry if I have confused you all further!!!!!!

Hi Chris, there is a small, white, rectanglular socket in the side of the Power FC that the Power FC Boost Control Kit plugs into. There are no other electrical connections required.

I have a new R32 GTST Boost Control Kit at home at the moment if you want pictures let me know and I will post them up. ;)

There is three wires coming of the pressure sensor, and the plug of that fits perfectly into the Power FC computer case connection

I think i know whats wrong here....

The Power fc has a plug on the side of it for the boost control kit. It would have a loom that plugs into this slot (next to where the commander goes in). I dont know if it would still require splicing some cables into the main loom. It would have plugs for the solenoid, and pressure sensor....then a plug to the pfc.

When you buy the full AVCR you get a loom that has a plug for the solenoid, pressure sensor, wires to be spliced into the loom, and a plug for the blue screen. NO part of this loom gets plugged ino the actual computer itself.....like the kit does ;)

You definitly need to find out if you have this loom to use it....

PM on the subject FYI

massive :P to Targa Tom, I have everything I need, just have to do a bit of soldering :)

Thanks heaps to everyone for contributing

Chris

• 3 years later...

Paulie - i need your PowerFC help on this one!!!

I need to hook up my Apexi Boost Solenoid to the power FC. I know it needs to go into the white socket on the side. But I'm going to be cheap and not buy the whole boost kit (the WRX doesn't need it - it has a MAP sensor).

I have the boost solenoid but no connectors on it - just the wires clipped off so i'll need to run some extra wires.

I saw on your PowerFC doco that the wires are the following:

Solenoid

Pink = Positive

Black = Negative

Do you happen to know the matching pinouts for the while socket? I'm going to go down to Jaycar and try and find a plug that will match (hopefully)

I need to know which pin numbers this positive and negative connect up to.

I'm hoping its a 5pin power fc (so there is just two for solenoid) but I will have to check tomorrow.

Hope it's not a problem to fill me in!

Cheers, Brenton

there are two methods

(note - this is covered in the pfc faq)

method #1

the powerfc has the 5 pin boost kit plug

you need to work out which wires are for the solenoid and which are for the map sensor

i dont know which ones are which, i only know the pinouts for the 3 pin kit

the only thing i can think of to help here if you do have the 5 pin kit is buy the 5 pin kit harness

its only $30 from nengun.com and it will save you guessing wires and risking blowing up shit (or the ecu)

method #2

the powerfc has the 3 pin boost kit plug

this is easy - the 3 pin socket is the map sensor.

the solneoid will get its power from the standard solenoid (usually listed as wastegate solenoid or valve) or the cars wiring loom.

this ONLY applies if the car is fitted with a standard solenoid to run a hi/low boost style setup from the factory.

the GTST skyline and GTR do, they both have a solenoid to give you dual stage boost. if you car does not have dual stage boost, then your PFC will be the 5 pin kit

with the map sensor on your WRX if you do MONITOR, 1 CHANNEl, BOOST, does it come up? or is it something else?

can you take a photo of ETC, SENSOR SW CHECK

there are two methods

(note - this is covered in the pfc faq)

Cheers Paulie.

I saw all that... I was hoping that you might have known the 5pin pinouts and not yet updated the FAQ.

I looked at the PFC and yes, it is a five pin. So i'm guessing there are two of those wires for the solenoid.

I guess if the skylines only have a 3 pin, then you guys wont be able to help much!

I'll go on a bit of an investigation, see if someone can tell me what colour pins are what. Once I find out i'll let you know and you can add it to the FAQ!

Which is the wiring harness I need?

There are two listed on greenline:

49C-A003 Sensor SOL Harness 5P (For 415-T003 PowerFC)

49C-A004 Sensor Harness 5P-L (For 415-A013 Boost Control Kits)

I hardly think the power fc will go bye bye.

The plug is common enough (a 3-pin header connector should do the trick if I can find one that fits!) and once I have a photo of one of the Boost Control Kit 5-pin plug (& associated coloured wires) to confirm we should be good to go.

If you look at my photo on the left, and your's from the FAQ on the right below:

Looking straight at the photos, pin 1 is on the left of my photo, and in yours pin 1 is on the right of the photo. (the orientation of the plug is reversed in the photos)

Looking at your photo, it seems right to left:

Pin 1: Pres. Sens. Red (Positive)

Pin 2: Pres. Sens. Green (Signal)

Pin 3: Pres. Sens. Black (Negative)

Pin 4: Solin. Red (Positive)

Pin 5: Solin. Brown (Negative)

So, once I can get someone to take a slightly better picture of the plug, i'm pretty confidant once I get the right plug, i need to use wires 4 (pos) and 5 (neg)!

Not worth the $30 + postage IMHO.

post-33967-1197469412_thumb.jpg

post-33967-1197469442_thumb.jpg