SAU Community

Had a run with a GTIR!

LMAO at all those talking about beating GTiR's in their whales..

Please...!!!

and a prelude keeping up? pull the other one..!!

not many of their owners are willing to do 7000rpm launches..

2 weeks ago at WSID, there was a little black one with 15 inch wheels, pod filter and turbo back exhaust.

boost was up from 10.5psi to about 11.5psi with the intake and exhaust done..

with a nice launch.. (as in no dumps.. just slip the clutch a little and release when it gets moving), and crappy 60' times, he was running 13.5 all night..

let's remember that 1 second difference in a 1/4 mile race is about what? 3 or 4 car lengths?

4 R33 gtst's were there last night and I knew 3 of them..

1 with semi slicks and about 200rwkw ran a best of 13.4

the other with a little less power and street tyres but completely striped interior ran a 13.4

the last one which had cat back and a pod filter and 17's ran 15 flat.

the 4th I didn't know had fullsick leather interior and stereo stuff and was running high 14's..

So i call "BULLSHIT" to all of you saying you beat or kept up with a GTiR unless...

*you have over 200rwkw

*lightened car

*or the GTiR had issues..

It all makes sense to me.

My GTI-R ran 13.4 @100 mph with a soft-ish launch and only 140 kw at all four (1.8 sec 60ft, with hard launch should be 1.6). Any drag racer will tell you that every tenth you shave in the first 60ft will yeild two tenths off your et. It now makes 156kw at all four and is quite a bit faster in the top end.

Like I said to the guys with the GTSTs getting all worked up, don't feel so bad, GTI-Rs were constructed as a race car, and to me an R33 GTST is a nicer car, just slower in stock or lightly modded form.

And remember, any car/driver combo can beat anyone on the right day with the right circumstances. So don't get all worked up, who cares?

Just enjoy your car, and forget about rubbishing other peoples chosen ride. For the record I own both a GTI-R and a Skyline GTR and I know which one I'll be keeping.

Richard

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulsar GTiR SR20-DET 1998cc I4 turbo 172kW 284Nm 1220kg 5.89

Skyline GTS25t (R33) RB25-DET 2498cc I6 turbo 184kW 274Nm 1370kg 6.21

ok so in standard form pulsar has tad less more power, more torque, and over 100kg less weight. Its easy to see that they are going to be faster when comparing stock cars..

Not that i really care, i would like to hear a bit more about this NA prelude that keeps up with GTI-R's!

Thats it richard.

Pulsar GTiR SR20-DET 1998cc I4 turbo 172kW 284Nm 1220kg 0-100 5.89sec

Skyline GTS25t (R33) RB25-DET 2498cc I6 turbo 184kW 274Nm 1370kg 0-100 6.21sec

ok so in standard form pulsar has tad less more power, more torque, and over 100kg less weight. Its easy to see that they are going to be faster when comparing stock cars..

Not that i really care, i would like to hear a bit more about this NA prelude that keeps up with GTI-R's!

btw i dont consider R33's the whales that a lot of people do, especially when you look at the 1700kg-plus weight of a lot of new performance cars coming out. A soarer however might be considered a whale, but are still damn quick once on the move.

GTiRs are quick packages, stock and especially modified, mine was stock but still quite the performer, handling wasn't what I enjoyed tho, sold it for something more RWD biased (GTR)

My GTiR ran 12.72 with an exhaust upgrade.

Yeah, a 12.7 .... at 80mph

GTIRs get great quarter mile times, but the trap speeds are usually fairy low. They may get up and boogey, but have no staying power.

Our skyline got the same trap speed down the quarter as a GTIR which was 2 seconds faster over 400m :P :whip:

Thats it richard.

Pulsar GTiR SR20-DET 1998cc I4 turbo 172kW 284Nm 1220kg 0-100 5.89sec  

Skyline GTS25t (R33) RB25-DET 2498cc I6 turbo 184kW 274Nm 1370kg 0-100 6.21sec  

ok so in standard form pulsar has tad less more power, more torque, and over 100kg less weight.  Its easy to see that they are going to be faster when comparing stock cars..

Hahaha, I partly said it to stir the pot - threads like this usually come up from people making assumptions etc. People will bag Skylines etc when they own GTiRs, and vice versa with Skylines bagging GTiRs - there are (like in any instance) too many variables and types of comparisons to rule one car over an other.

In a drag situation, an equivalent GTiR should beat a non-GTR Skyline... simple as that, it basically comes down to torque/power/weight and the level of traction. However - in say a 100kph roll on (no sanctioned event I know of does this, however :P But...) an equivalent GTiR and R33 GTS25t might look a little bit different to how the 1/4 mile drag happened. But then there is always the stand out equivalent of either car.

Anyway, despite the pot stirring - I don't take back what I said about my old Prelude... I moved on because you hit a brick wall pretty quickly with an NA 4cyl, unless you are going to spend massive amounts of money - and FWDs are just boring - but a good power to weight ratio with no lag to deal with and a good torque delivery counts for a lot :D Its highest dyno run was 146fwkw - if 2 cars have similar power, and similar weight, why wouldn't they accelerate at a similar rate?

ive seen type-r preludes with fully built motors, head work, cams etc, and only make 100fwkw. What did you do to yours?! Unless yours is the 1980's angular shaped one i remember seeing in a mag that had a motor that could rev to 10,000rpm or so the owner claimed...

i think people are forgetting that the driver has one of the biggest parts to play in racing whether it be proper drag racing on a strip or the traffic lights drag (where people always exaggerate or complain that something wasn't right).

Some people take their cars to the limit and know what to do and when and some are cautious...

Your also all forgetting about the spastic amounts of grip the GTIR has over the enormous RWD whale.. Lets not talk about twisty roads!!!!

I have smoked r33 after r33 after r33 in the gtir.

We're comparing two very different cars, and anyone who thinks their r33 has a chance against one is a dreamer unless $8k+ has been spent on go fast bits.

I currently own a GTIR and to be honest, I prefer the riding position of the Skylines and prefer RWD. (you cant do skids in a GTIR.)

Lets all keep it real though :P

ps. my gtir is for sale if anyones interested.. $16.9k ono - pm me you know you wanna

There's some very quick GTiR's up the sunny coast, a Sub-Zero built one I ' think '. I've seen that car go and I would not want to race it in my skyline, because I know I would get my ass handed to me on a silver platter, and then some. They're little pocket rockets, my mate has a 10 sec rotary and he said he's raced that particular GTiR and narrowly beat it. Food for thought.

ive seen type-r preludes with fully built motors, head work, cams etc, and only make 100fwkw.  What did you do to yours?!  Unless yours is the 1980's angular shaped one i remember seeing in a mag that had a motor that could rev to 10,000rpm or so the owner claimed...

There is no such thing as a Type-R Prelude.... so there is part of the problem there. Anyway, I'm only talking basically modded GTiRs as well - as I said early in the thread SR20DETs are very good motors so obviously they can go far, and I moved on because it was just going to cost too much to get so far. It was a lot of fun having an NA car that people who didn't do their homework would underestimate, and this is the same reason I bought an R33 GTS25t - in NZ they are VERY underestimated because basically hardly anyone have worked out what makes them go. Over here the general consensus is there is no comparison between a RB20DET powered R32 GTSt and a RB25DET powered GTS25t, so what you have come to understand about things isn't necessarily all that is right.

Obviously Skyline fans are going to know more about fast Skylines, and how to make them quick as that is what they are into, ditto with GTiR fans, and ditto with Honda fans. So really wouldn't people in a Skyline forum probably not be the most certified to say what a 2.2VTEC motor can do, or what a GTiR can do if they haven't actually researched and modified them? I guy I know was running 12s with just front mounted stock intercooler, exhaust and boost - but his trap speeds were still not much over 100mph. Doing 60ft times in the 1.7s helps things along nicely.

The basic point I'm making, is yep - *A* Skyline GTS25t has beaten *A* GTiR, doesn't mean all 25ts will beat all GTiRs, and vice versa. Same as *A* NA Prelude has beaten *A* GTS25t, but then the owner of that Prelude went and upgraded to a GTS25t.... also food for thought?

I have a GTiR and a GTR and find the GTiR a lot more fun to drive than the GTR and any one that thinks GTiRs dont handle mine set the lap record at WAs fastest hill climb.

Just wish the gearboxes wernt so weak.

Wow.

List mods to GTiR and GTR?

This is no stock GTiR though is it.. :D

I have a GTiR and a GTR and find the GTiR a lot more fun to drive than the GTR and any one that thinks GTiRs dont handle mine set the lap record at WAs fastest hill climb.

Just wish the gearboxes wernt so weak.

I say they dont handle....sure you can get anything to handle after modding it....but out of the box,im sorry....they dont handle

Hang on...i have an old issue of Zoom with a bunch of WA GTiRs...im guessing Steves is one of them...cant be too many Dakars getting around.

If i could get 20k for my R32 GTST there is a GTiR id love to buy. AP brakes 450hp at the wheels, holinger box, bucket loads on susp, lexan windows, gutted with cage with Vic rego... and best of all a fastidious owner who has spent money on making sure its bolted together properly. Its a circuit car but whgen they ran it down the qtr it still did a low 12:)