SAU Community

Transmission Questions

huskerjoe

Hello, yes this is my first post and im really hoping that you all can help me!! I'm looking into getting a r34 gtr the only problem is that i have lost my left foot and am unable to drive a manual, what i'm looking for is a auto tranny that would work with the gtr, and yes i'm pretty dead set on the gtr because i want the awd.

AFAIK, the GT-R doesn't (shouldn't, IMO) come with an auto trans. There is an option, though - the Stagea wagon. They are an AWD wagon and come with a RB25DET (sometimes RB26DETT), and the majority come with an auto. (When I first saw one, I thought it was a Volvo!)

I have one (just auto trans, not whole Stagea) if you are interested.

Yes, surely you could use a Nissan Stagea auto box behind the RB26 in the GTR.

Try the Stagea Discussion section on this forum and ask some questions there as well. Oh and welcome to SAU.

Adrian

AFAIK, the GT-R doesn't (shouldn't, IMO) come with an auto trans. There is an option, though - the Stagea wagon. They are an AWD wagon and come with a RB25DET (sometimes RB26DETT), and the majority come with an auto. (When I first saw one, I thought it was a Volvo!)

I have one (just auto trans, not whole Stagea) if you are interested.

I agree about the auto tranny but if you can't use it you just cant, i had some crappy cards delt to me, but if the stagea tranny will work what are you looking to get out of it?? and what about shipping??

thanks

joe

I have a solution for you - enabling you to keep the MANUAL transmission in the GTR :D In one onf my older magazines I read an article about a company that had developed a electronically operated clutch.

The system utilised all the existing clutch hardware and compromised a button on the top of the shifter (to engage / disengage the clutch) and an electric motor connected to the clutch pedal via a small chain.

The system worked by depressing the button atop the shifter, engaging the required gear, then releasing the button. The system could have the clutch action finetuned to suit driving styles (how quickly the clutch was released/engaged).

By all accounts this system was a universal type kit, so I can't see why it could not be used on a GTR. The best thing about the kit, it kept the car original and could also be driven 'normally' via the clutch pedal.

Do a search on google, PM me if you want me to have a look to see if I can find the article :(

DAN00H

If I got an R34 GTR I'd put the auto in for sure. From what I've seen the Stagea 4WD box does fit in...make sure you get one from a later model with Tiptronic, it makes things more fun.

Hmmm.......may not be that simple as the late model auto boxes interface with the ECU.

If you are going to import one from Japan, it may be better to get the conversion done there as they will have easy access to odd bits and pieces that may not be immediately noted as essential for the conversion.

R34 also had a GT4 model in the NA version. May be able to use this box after beefing up and adding a trans cooler etc.

Best of luck - I reckon it'd be a interesting conversion.

Hmmm.......may not be that simple as the late model auto boxes interface with the ECU.

If you are going to import one from Japan, it may be better to get the conversion done there as they will have easy access to odd bits and pieces that may not be immediately noted as essential for the conversion.

R34 also had a GT4 model in the NA version.  May be able to use this box after beefing up and adding a trans cooler etc.

Best of luck - I reckon it'd be a interesting conversion.

First off thanks for all the info guys!, and gav by interesting what do you mean?? also it will be imported from japan, do you think that motorex or signal auto would be able to do the conversion??

thanks

joe

huskerjoe

I heard a guy who was a paraplegic and he owned a NSX, He loved manuals so he used hand controls. Have you considered a tiptronic?

This may blow your budget but DAN00h's idea sounds best to me mate, be most rationale and easiest to get parts for if its universal

Hello, yes this is my first post and im really hoping that you all can help me!!  I'm looking into getting a r34 gtr the only problem is that i have lost my left foot and am unable to drive a manual, what i'm looking for is a auto tranny that would work with the gtr, and yes i'm pretty dead set on the gtr because i want the awd.

thanks

joe

damn, thats unlucky, but the best reason I have ever heard to want an Auto!

Good luck, hopefully your regs in USA allow motorex to import things other than just GTRs...but I suspect not :D

Ok so i have been doing some looking arould the board and have somemore questions, What if i went with the r33 gtr could i use the triptronic transmission from the r34 gt-t?? or would this tranny work with the r34 gtr?? once again thanks for all the help guys!!

joe

huskerjoe  

I heard a guy who was a paraplegic and he owned a NSX, He loved manuals so he used hand controls. Have you considered a tiptronic?  

This may blow your budget but DAN00h's idea sounds best to me mate, be most rationale and easiest to get parts for if its universal

I would love to get ahold of triptronic if i could that is what i have in my lexus, its not a manual but its still fun!! I would love anymore info if anyone has some..

thanks

joe

Hi Joe, I found the mag and PM'd you the info.

For anyone else that is interested, it is located in issue no. 26 of ZOOM (with the front of a bayside blue R34 GTR - saying it was the first in the country, I think it was around 2000?)

Anyway - it was a barina combo van fitted with the electronic clutch (had a button on the top of the shifter). Martin Donnon wrote the story, apparently very easy and quite cost effective (can still switch between manual clutch and the auto clutch), it woudl be heaps cheaper and easier than doing an auto conversion.

If anyone wants more info let me know (PM me).

Cheers