SAU Community

The Next GT-R (October '04 update)

Rezz

I wanted to just skip this update this time round... seeing the prototype GT-R pics again at the Nurburgring had me excited at first, but now the realization is sinking in that Nissan:

a) ARE running with the V35 platform... no hint of V36 development as yet.

B) ARE going to keep the "Nissan family face" (read: more agressive V35 coupe... :D)

Don't get me wrong, the next GT-R is still the technological powerhouse that it's always been touted to be, but I think the packaging and dare I say "pedigree" has lost some of the 'ol R34 magic for good... underdone IMO.

From "Best Car" magazine:

3gtr1.jpg

Yes, it's a lefthand drive "Infinity"... LHD in Germany remember!

A German photographer snapped these pics recently, remarking on how quickly the car was travelling around that part of the 'ring. A professional driver from Japan has been flown to Germany to carry out "overall" testing with emphasis on aerodynamics appraisal.

3gtr3.jpg

The test at Nurburgring wasn't about parts testing, but overall performance and handling, suggesting that the GT-R has entered the middle phase of development where engineers concentrate on the entire package rather than just seperate parts. The front bumper seen in the pic above isn't the final design!!! It's a just a quick bumper thats been made so the car has some kind decent airflow characteristics without any attention to styling.

The rear wing on the other hand does give a big hint as to what the final one will look like. The reporter from Best Car was suprised that the rear wing is just your generic late model FD3S RX-7 type wing with beefed up end plates. The wide fenders will make the GT-R 100mm wider than the current V35 Skyline Coupe, making it the same width as the current Porsche turbo. Some effort has been put forward to make the fenders blend in as a component of the complete aerodynamics package, one that will become one of the strongest merits of the car.

3gtr22.jpg

*sorry about the wonky pic*

Best Car couldn't report on much about the engine this time around, but were quick to point out that a "number" of different engine capacities are being tested, 3.2, 3.3, 3.5 and possibly a 4.0 (a la the V36 VQ41DE) but still retaining the electric spool-up twin turbo configuration. Also note the two air opening under each headlight on the pics above, they aparently feed each turbo, with a highly efficient intercooler design making use of the third opening. Power is still being set at about 460ps.

Just a final note, the engine is the ultimate "saving grace" for this V-series GT-R, and as far as Best Car can see, Nissan WILL NOT dissapoint in this area... so guys, sit back, don't write off the next GT-R just yet (although I almost did!)

/Rezz

Even with the flared guards and big wheels it still doesn't look "special" does it? Just a V35 with a kit...

Just going back and reading the article again, they say that *some* parts on that prototype are what the GT-R will have when it's released, while other parts will be changed dramatically (tail lights?)... they didn't say which parts though...

Nooooo!!!, i don't want it to loook like that!!! Nissan promised there's not gonna be GTS and GTR, but just pure GTR and no skyline! I'm sick of ppl saying that my GTR is a GTS, i just want a GTR, and it must look totally different from the skyline Coupe!!

Maybe this is just a Nismo Skyline GT Coupe, not the real test GTR, i just hope it's like that. Or else the same thing is going to happen, ppl is just gonna buy the Skyline GT Coupe and slap some bodykits to become GTR wanabes!!!

I think its probably a gtr shell with as much non gtr bits (read non performance based parts)bolted on as possible just to fool the papparazzi(not that it worked)

in which case it could look well tuff. BTW it doesnt look tuff as it is in the pix

Great thread as always Rezz :D, thanks for keeping us up-to-date. I too really hate the styling on that "mule", and hopefully the production GT-R wont look 'too' similar to that or the V35 coupe, it needs to retain its BADASS look.

Although i thought the engine would have twin throttle bodies as you have posted pictures of the VQ32DETT before, but in the pic of the engine in this thread had a single throttle body?....How many engines are Nissan testing? Hopefully they'll make the right choices in every department, and not let Carlos do all the talking, that stupid fool. Theres plenty more time until production of the car and who knows how much will change by then? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a GT-R that will meet everybodys expectiations of what a 'Real' supercar should be, just like the GT-R's before it!

Steve.

Thanks Rezz, for another great thread and keeping us up-to-date:). I too believe that the "mule" looks too watered down, and really looks ordinary. But after all it is only a mule. I thought that the engine in the new GT-R would have twin throttle bodies as shown in a picture of a previous thread of the VQ32DETT, but the magazine scan of the engine u have in this thread has a single throttle body? How many engines are nissan testing? Hopefully they'll make the right choices in every department of the car and not let Carlos do all the talking, the stupid fool. But there is still plenty of time before the production version of the GT-R is released and who knows what changes might be made? I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new GT-R will be another technological milestone and retain its 'BADASS' looks like its predecessors, and that it will meet everybody's expectations of what a 'REAL' supercar should be like, as the previous model GT-R's have shown!

Thanks again Rezz, and never loose faith buddy!

Steve.