SAU Community

Buying An R32 GTR

After saving up a bit of dosh I have now decided to buy a new car. Obviously what I want is an R32 GTR. Now I've heard the usuall

"You may be able to buy one but can you afford to keep one..."

Is this statement correct, because I will be putting most of my money into this and will have not enough money to repair if it breaks down. So to all you R32 GTR owners out there, has YOUR car cost alot to keep? Has your car broken down or have had any major repairs? :Bang: Do they chew through the fuel? :flamed: What are the good points about your GTR? :headspin: :D :newbie:

Regards,

Chris,

CSV Imports

An engine rebuild starts at about $5-6gs. That's like a worst case scenario.

Most are due for their 100k service if you're importing, that in itself is $1g right there. Clutches start at $800.

Mate at your age, I wouldn't bother unless you're prepared to live in indentured servitude to your car. I'm looking at getting one and I'll be stretching it but I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.

- J.

You can be lucky and very unlucky. I know someone who has had to rebuild his engine, replace the clutch, replace the suspension, had attessa problems, power steering problems, igntion problems, etc.

So you really need to have some backup money just incase. A second form of transport is also a good idea.

They do cost a lot to keep when you consider insurance, servicing and the cost of fuel. Then you have to pay for things when they break and there is always something you will want to do to it.

If I was you I would wait for a while.

Gary.

Fortunately I bought mine when I was moving into a decent paying job, if I hadn't of it'd be sold by now. If you buy a well looked after one you'll have a better time but on the flipside is that there are ones out there which have been abused (and this is a majority) and you'll end up spending shedloads on it if the previous owner didn't.

Looking at importing a GTR from Japan. Found an interesting one

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/st...sp?StockID=2533

Few things I wanted to ask:

Engine bay appears matt black but the car is white. Is this normal or is it probably resprayed?

There is a picture of what i assume is a suspension component. What is that picture highlighting (ie is it good/bad?)

Also, what are ur thoughts on the overall quality of the car? I would appreciate any feedback on specific details and areas to look out for on cars when inspecting these type of photos.

that warranty that prestige offer ie:

For peace of mind, a full Australia-wide warranty is available from CarGear. Comprehensive cover starts from $295, with 3 Years premium cover for just $925. Full details are available by clicking on this link to CarGear (www.cargear.com.au). Questions ? Call Cargear on 1800 032 033 (free call) or e-mail [email protected]

what does that cover?? blown engines??

Engine bay appears matt black but the car is white. Is this normal or is it probably resprayed?

Could be a re-spray, but I also vaguely remember someone suggesting that they came from the factory like that. Someone with access to FAST software should be able to get the original colour from the chassis number shown on the ID plate.

There is a picture of what i assume is a suspension component. What is that picture highlighting (ie is it good/bad?)

If you look closely at the bottom right-hand corner of the suspension pic you can see that the CV joint boot on one of the front driveshafts is torn and grease has been leaking out. Judging by the amount of crap on the surrounding parts I'd say it's been torn for some time. Might be a simple fix (replace boot), but might also be the CV joint is stuffed from dirt/water getting in.

Minor thing really but pic of one of the front wheels seems to show only 4 wheel nuts, and non-standard ones at that. Suggests the standard wheels shown on the car may have recently been put back on. Not a big deal really tho.

Also, what are ur thoughts on the overall quality of the car? I would appreciate any feedback on specific details and areas to look out for on cars when inspecting these type of photos.

Overall seems OK based on the pics, but all the mods suggest a hard used car to me, plus I'm not a fan of instruments in the glovebox - how useless is that :D. My tendency would be to avoid and the price is reasonably high, but you are getting a fair bit for your money in terms of mods.

I agree with what SteveL has said. Personally I would be much more inclined to go for something like this:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/st...sp?StockID=2654

It really depends on your thinking though. I am risk averse so tend to look for stock(ish) cars with service histories: this tends to mean you pay more for less as stock cars attract a premium and are by their nature don't have any significant aftermarket parts. Others are prepared to take more of a risk and doubtlessly save money on the outright purchase price and get (in some cases, lots of) nice mods/parts to boot. Just how much risk you are willing to take is a decision for you.

LW.

i have a non standard r32 gtr...and now that i think of it, i should have just bought a standard r33 gtr. within an hour of picking it up, i was plagued by clutch problems. $2600 later, the problem was resolved. Also, insurance.....i am paying $2800 plus 10% full comp through Famous Car insurance.

[WLDCRD]: worn out clutches are not uncommon on stock standard cars too. Would you bother to replace the clutch, brake pads/rotors, tyres, etc, etc if you planned to sell a car?

Well you might as a private sale in Australia, but with Japan's auction system few do it would seem.

LW.

lwells: i have a copy of his receipt for his clutch from 4 months ago. He said it was a new clutch but as it turns out it was just a rebuilt clutch. Gearbox was rebuilt 4 months ago too and the motor was rebuilt 1 year ago. So, i'll just have to wait and see! haha

I have been looking at R32's recently and plan to get the one that i intend to buy inspected. Wat things do you specifically get checked?

I want chassis checked, compression test... anything possible to know whether gearbox and turbos are in good nick?

Also, anyone got any suggestions in Melbourne that is a good workshop for GTR vehicle inspection? Please include details if possible...

Well mine was supposed to be stockish and in good condition(according to auction reports). Now that all belts changed(ilder pulley FLEW off when boosting), clutch thrust bearing changed, 100k Km service, replaced suspension(shocks and probably bushes soon) and new tyres(got 3000km out of the ones that came on the car). I would say that I'm pretty happy with it. Fuel isn't too much of a problem but the triple plate clutch is a killer in peak hour.

I would say you need to factor in at least $5k to restore your car to decent condition on any used GTR just to be safe.

At least my paint, bodywork and interior are in A1 condition :D

PS: Must do at least comression test and probably a leak down test as well. Wheel alignment to see if it really does run straight might be a good idea.

I bought my 1994 R32 V-SpecII 2 years ago from a private sale in Victoria.

I have done 15,000km sinse then and have not had a single problem.

I service the car myself every 5000km and have nothing bad to say about the car.

PS the paint code KH2 G on the white gtr is not on my list.

KH6 cream

326 white

732 black

Jason.

PS the paint code KH2 G  on the white gtr is not on my list.

KH6  cream

326  white

732  black

How about 732G black pearl metallic? Go the Aus delivered specific colours :)

I have had an Aus R32 since May.

GTRs are money pits.

If you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the car.

Consider this as well - don't think that you will be 'happy' with the status quo - the mod bug will bite, and bite hard...

I have put over $5K into the car, and that includes maintenance and wear and tear items :D

i only plan on getting 3rd party insurance. I cant justify paying 3k a year on insurance. 2-3 years without a claim and that is alot of money down the drain. If i get into an accident, i can afford to repair it so ill take the risk.

BTW what is a leak down test?

I just want a car in good nick and will spend money once i get it to get it in prime condition. Once i get the car, i will probably ask questions on wat to do to the car in order to maintain it.

I love cars, but i dont know the specific details on wat a car requires to maintain all its components. i dont intend to do the work myself, but i do wanna know wat and why a car needs certain procedures in order to maintain it rather than leaving it to the discretion of the mechanic!

I first fell in love with Skylines back in 1997 when i was in Japan. I got to ride in a race ready HR30 skyline turbo.

A leak down test, each cylinder is tested at top dead center with compressed air using a special device the screws into your spark plug hole. If the piston rings or valves are worn out the air will leak past and the device will give you the amount of air leaking as a percentage. Unfortunately you can not tell weather it is the rings or valves that are leaking. My GTR has a leak down of 5-10% over all 6 cylinders.

Jason.

To tell whether it's rings or valves is to pour a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole to seal the bore and rings. If compression is higher than before, it's the rings. If it is still low then it's the valves, head gasket etc.

Bought my 1992 r32 GTR from a private seller who had it for 2 years after personally importing it. It had r33 n1 turbo's hks computer, tripple plate etc. I though $25000 was good for it's condition as it needed a bit of work. How wrong I was. They are money pits like the guys say but when they are running well you just gotta love the feeling of owning and driving such a cool machine. I do as much of the servicing as I can myself to save money and I can't reccomend highly enough a servicing manual for these cars.