SAU Community

Trying for an import approval for a 1990 GTR

jonn

Given the fact that no change has eventuated before the end of 2004, in our opinion this warning now becomes defunct and pre-buying 1990 models of any month for import in 2005 again becomes a viable and fairly low risk option.

Certain models might be ok but ask DOTRS if it is Defunct and low risk.

Well it isn't good news yet! The application was rejected on the grounds that the car was not 15 years old at time of application. It was only 14years 11months and 22days. I guess rules are rules but 9 f***in days! I'm going to ring them when they re-open this week and do a bit of grovelling to see if we can't work this out.

I'll keep you posted.

p.s. What was everyone else given to prove the age of their cars? I got a screen capture from FAST software and got production month year to be 9001. Just wondering whether that will confuse the people at dotars or if everyone else was in the same boat?

If you cant use the De Reg for rego date showing it is older than the only FAST screen dumps they say they will accept is direct from Nissan Japan, we tryied earlier in the year using a Nissan Australia Dealer and was knocked back.

It depends on who you are and what mood they are in, I have the FAST system but I dont use it with DOTR's.

p.s. What was everyone else given to prove the age of their cars? I got a screen capture from FAST software and got production month year to be 9001. Just wondering whether that will confuse the people at dotars or if everyone else was in the same boat?

Everyone that I can think of who has imported a 15yo car has used the Japanese De-registration paper to prove year/month of manufacture. You should ask you supplier for them, it will make things much easier.

Richard

yeah i used de-reg papers

I've asked the supplier to provide these this morning and also phoned dotars to discuss the refusal. Got the machine telling me they are closed and re-open on the 4th Jan. Strange I thought today was the 4th of Jan, maybe it's lunch time?

Is it even legal for them to apply these rules to people that have purchased these 90 models before 2005? Sure they can use scare tactics and ask ppl not to buy them, but how can a new law apply to people that went about their purchases through the old law?

Yes, they can. You aren't actually utilising any of the various laws or regulations until you lodge an application for Import Approval. The purchase was made in Japan, the car resides in Japan... it basically got nothing to do with Australia and its laws/regulations.

If you lodged an IA application and then the law changed, that would be a different kettle of fish.

LW.

Date:1/20/2005 5:59:18 PM To:"Shingo Miyashiro" CC: From:"Prestige Motorsport" Subject:15 Year Rule Update -- 20th January 2005

[/size]

We are still waiting for an announcement from DOTARS in relation to the future of the 15 year rule, although the indications are that something is coming. Until an official announcement is made however, we would re-iterate our previous advice as follows.

All those wishing to avoid any detrimental changes that a future announcement may entail should select and make payment for their vehicle (the FOB amount to Japan) prior to the official announcement. Based on past precedents set by DOTARS, this should enable the vehicle to be imported under regulations prevailing at the time of payment and should therefore shield the buyer from any changes that might otherwise exclude the vehicle from import. We would encourage customers to make their own enquiries in this regard to satisfy themselves, however it should technically be possible to buy a vehicle of any make and model built in any month of 1990 for import in the future once it turns 15 years old.

A small selection of suggested 1990 models of interest are:

R32 Skyline

300ZX

MR-2

GTO

Landcruiser 80 series

Pulsar GTiR

Celsior (Lexus LS400)

NSX

RX-7 S5

Supra

Familia

MX-5

180SX

Silvia

Cefiro

Celica

Soarer

Surf

Starlet

Crown

Of course, there are many others. We can already import January 1990 models immediately and in 11 days February 1990 models will be available.

After an announcement is made, it may well be too late to buy 1990 models for subsequent import later in the year. So we suggest that you don't delay if you are after something special. No one knows yet what changes will happen or when.

For more detail or specific questions, please contact DOTARS directly at [email protected] or toll free on 1800 815 272.

To remove an e-mail address from this mailing list please follow the simple instructions provided on any mailing list update. To add an e-mail address please use the link on our website.

We only wish to send this information to those willing to receive it. We do not condone spamming or the sending of unwanted e-mail. Our apologies in advance if this e-mail is unwanted.

Regards

Geoff Risbey

Manager

Prestige Motorsport

0418 944 253

www.prestigemotorsport.com.au

At your service Mon to Fri from 9am to 5pm WST, and Sat from 9am to 3pm WST

DL14688

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Yet another hiccup along the way. I sent my IA in first week January. Card was debited the $50 on the 12th Jan. 7th Feb, no paperwork. So I give them a ring.......

As I used the FAST printout they required the following:-

The printer of the FAST to state who they were and sign a statement to the fact they haven't altered the document in anyway. I then sign it and fax it to them.

They apparently sent a fax to this effect on the 12th Jan but I didn't receive it. Why?? I don't have an f....in fax machine. Oh well it's all cleared up now and I'm sure my car will join the rest of yours jockeying for position on the docks of Japan.