SAU Community

R32: Replacing Side Mirror Glass

predator

This will be useful if you need to replace your side mirrors, say if the glass gets smashed, or if you are doing your own compliance and need to change to flat from concave...

Its fairly simple and should only take 10 mins anyhow, but saves you having to think about it :)

First of all get the whole mirror assembly off the car. You may not have to actually, but it makes the process much easier. To do this you'll have to remove the door trim (remove pull handle screws, remove all screws around base and sides, pop off trim popouts, slide up).. After that if you have the plastic sheeting over the door wiring still in place, you'll have to carefully peel that back.

You should see where the mirror plug comes into the door and goes to the switch. Carefully remove the plug. There are 3 x 10mm bolts that hold the mirror to the door. Undo these, making sure to hold the mirror whilst doing it, so you don't drop it.

Now you should have it off... take it somewhere to a nice workbench, in front of tv, etc :) Look underneath the actual mirror part, and you should see a single screw. Thankfully Nissan has made it nice and easy to just get to the glass. Undo this screw, and you should be able to pull the actual part that adjusts the mirror the different angles.

Now that you can pull that out slightly, you should see the extra white plug that allows you to get this part out. Carefully press on the plug, and it should come off, allowing you to remove it from the main surround

Now you should have the actual glass part, and the backing plate separate. Flip it over, and you should see about 5 clips holding a sub bracket, which sits inside the actual glass holding bit. Use a long flat head screwdriver, and gradually prize it off, applying only a bit of force. Do this for each side and eventually this part will come off.

So now you should just have the mirror in the rubber grip which holds in place.. but you still need to get to the glass out by itself.

This probably best to do on a warmer day, or get out the g/f's hairdryer and use it to heat the back - as you will find there is some sticky chewing gum type adhesive on the back of the glass.

You should now be able to see the back of the glass so again, using the flathead, very carefully apply pressure to the glass. I found it easiest to apply pressure to different sides equally, and eventually it will slip out, maybe twisting the rubber a bit to help it on its way.

Bingo! You should now just have the mirrored glass on its own as one piece. Take it down to your local glass cutter and get them to cut out the same sized piece of glass.. and replace everything in the reverse process of removal!

All done. Easy as you like.. :headspin:

Sweet, predator! thanks for taking time out to do that, i know i'll be using it.

just out of curiosity, how much was it just to have the new glass cut? and i take it that the reflective material is actually attached to the rubber backing not the glass?

I think its only about $30 or something like that to get it cut. Just take it to an industrial glass or mirrors place (it will be listed in the yellowpages). Haven't actually done that yet :P When I found out how much it costs, I'll post it here.

Well its just mirrored glass.. the same sort of stuff your wall mirror, vanity mirror, etc is made of.

Well done tutorial

When I did mine I didnt take the whole mirror out

One screw directly under the mirror and the the whole lot pops out.

undo the connectors and its out.

Just remember to take the backing plate to the glaziers as well, as mine needed grinding back for clearance.(they didnt have mirror the same thickness)

• 3 weeks later...

update: just got the glass replaced today..

Only cost $15 from a glass place up here. As the stock stuff is thinner that what you'll usually find around, they may have to use the thicker 3mm stuff - but that will fit.

Yes, as Just says, you will probably need to take the backing plate so they can fit it in properly. For the $15 and they bonded it in there and everything.

• 2 months later...

Even easier way,

There is a screw under each mirror that releases the electric motor to move the mirrors once this is release the mirror just pops out, and then get a screw driver and pop it out from its mounting points..

All good and takes 60 seconds.

My car is R32 GTS-t

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Guys,

Just putting it out there, especially if you have a level of intellect not so dissimilar to myself... :wub:

If you undo that single screw that sits under the mirror and locks in the mounting plate, the spring is compressed by the screw.

In laymens terms, it goes: Mounting plate > white half bulb, flat side facing you > spring, screw.

I know, laugh all you like - but it had me stumped hahaha.

Cheers,

Steve.

• 5 months later...

R33 is the same. The trick is you have get the mirror off [out of the mold it sits in] to see the screw. If the mirror is broken then you have no problem but if you are like me and only trying to remount the mirror because the last person who did it made a botch of it then you have to heat the mirror up - this softens the adhesive that is holding it on and then you can carefully pry the glass away without breaking it.

I cleaned mine up, a final wipe with Metho, reafixed the mold to the housing with the screw and then used some windscreen silastic and set the mirror back into the mold.

But I wouldn't have known how without Predators tutorial....thanks for that.