SAU Community

need some advice (long)

Hey everyone - my first post :P

I am a 19 year old university student on my p's

Just interested in your opinions.

I am going to be purchasing a skyline in the next couple of months(if i am able to find a suitable one) with a budget of about $23k. Options i am considering are a series II R33 gts-t or a r32 gts-t. Yes, all the money is mine, and yes non of it was borrowed

R33 series II- would at my guess be at the limit of my budget not leaving much left over for repairs, mods or anything else except insurance, petrol, odd thing breaking

R32- would have quality modifications and more power but i would also have a large chunk of my money left over for repairs and other mods

I have done my research and know that the R33 gts-t is over the power to weight restrictions but i also know that there are many forum users and others i see on the road who risk it.

1) is the R33 reliable enough to risk spending all of my money on?

2) when it comes to resale values - in your opinion which one would retain value better with the above stated factors considered.?

3) my typical parents are scared of the lack of safety features on R32 - no airbags, abs etc. do you people view them as being worthwhile given my age and my budget?

4) anything else that would aid my decision?

* just so you dont confuse me with the average p plated hoon on the road - in my opinion i am a safe, curtious driver with many advanced driver training hours and a moderate amount of track hours - i leave stupidity and hoonish behaviour for track days(so much fun :D )

thanks in advance,

thomas

ok R32's DO come with abs, if you buy a R32 GTS-4 you get all of the safety of the gtr. i would get a R32 cos they look better but the R33 has the RB25, alittle more power, nothing a few mods on the R32 can't fix though. with 23 grand you could get a R32 for around 14 do some mods, pay insurance, rego, fix up a few things and have a bit of change left

Hey mate,

I'm on my P's and I own a R33, I did what you are thinking of doing and learnt that lesson of buying a car with no money left over the hard way...

Had it 2 weeks then got T-Boned, still paying it off and that was 9 months ago!!!

Have you checked in2 insurance costs with the R33 cause I was paying about $4500 for it, dont know much about the R32 prices...

And no matter wat you say about being a safe, curtious driver, all that changes when you get a high powered car - its impossible to deny the urges!!!!

I couldnt give you an answer on what car 2 buy, its personal preference you've got 2 make up your own mind on that, but gotta tell u that my car has had a few problems which I'm still trying to work out but not once do i regret buying it!!!

I know re-sale values are dropping at the moment, and will more than likely be pretty hard to sell if they bring this V8 and Turbo restriction in on P Plate drivers but wat do u do...

And with the parents thing - mate, they all do it... My parents over-reacted, with the whole buying another car thing, guilt trips, and I told u so's, but they give up eventually!!!

Hope this has been a help - goodluck with it all...

Cheers.

I was in the same position like 1 month ago i went with the series2 and i love it havent had a problem with it. I managed to get cheap insurance of 2 grand:) so i was happy about that.

I choose the series 2 becasue of the duel airbags since i am also 19 thought that was a good idea. The good thing about a series 2 is that they look good standard unlike the 32 which are 2 square for me. Unless u spend money on a new body kit, which u dont have to do for the 33.

Personally i dont know how the diff in drive is between the 2 i never drove a 32 but i fell in love with the 33 so never looked back. Im sure whatever way u choose u will be happy.

thanks for the replies guys

why are these decision so hard to make.

I know that if i buy the 32 i will have enough cash left over for everything that could go wrong and replace tyres :), but the r33 in my opinion is such a nicer car

Just with insurance companies - lets say hypothetically i have a crash (hopefully wont) and i am driving my over the power restriction vehicle will they refuse to cover me?

The GTS4 isn't really much a safer car just cause it's 4WD. It behaves like a RWD until it oversteers. Most people sh*t their pants and lift off the throttle as soon as it's oversteering, thus the front wheels don't engage at all.

Buy the R32. From experience, things WILL go wrong. Yes they are an endless money pit so be prepared for it. You don't want to live your life just paying for a car and that's it. In the end you'll end up cursing it. It's meant to be enjoyed.

thanks for the replies guys

why are these decision so hard to make.

I know that if i buy the 32 i will have enough cash left over for everything that could go wrong and replace tyres :(, but the r33 in my opinion is such a nicer car

Just with insurance companies - lets say hypothetically i have a crash (hopefully wont) and i am driving my over the power restriction vehicle will they refuse to cover me?

I'd say it depends who you're with... The point being is, if you're over they can decide to stop covering you at the drop of a hat - B/S I know but what can u do?

I'm with Just car Insurance and I had an accident which cost about $12K, but they paid out, whether they knew is another issue...