SAU Community

Gear change!!!

Tangoo

hi there i was just wondering if any 1 could help me and tell me if it even does any thing...if this method has a name what is it called ?

ok in 2nd gear get my rev's to 4500 then i put the clutch in halfway keep the throtal around halfway to biuld up the rev's then push the clutching in fast and put it into 3rd gear then let go of the clutch.

Thanks...

was told it gives that extra power in changing gears but i may of got it mixed around or some thing......

im just trying to learn about cars/n stuff. i had a friend that was teaching me about them but he's just passed away resently. :'(

if any 1 could give me a few tips would be handy :)

-Thanks

double clutching is when you r in gear, lets say 1st, put the clutch in, put it into neutral, let the clutch out, put the clutch back in, put into 2nd, let clutch out.

I have no idea why that line of "not double clutching when you're supposed to" line was in fast and the furious. cause u wouldnt do it in a drag race...it was done on really old cars like moris minors where the box wouldnt handle it..

maybe there is a more modern thing that they call double clutching, but that is what i have always known it as. It also helps on dodgy boxs like my dad's subaru :)

Maybe you are talking about flat shifting...where u just leave the throttle pinned instead of backing off...but that's not really the impression i got from your post.

Either way, it sounds like a good way to wreck ya box and clutch for the sake of a few milliseconds?

Correct me if I'm wrong

*have to lift my chin off the floor*

Okay, when you shift up a gear, the next gear has LOWER revs than the last!

Why people think reving the car before a shift is going to do anything is beyong me. Notice how when you engage the next gear the revs DROP!

Double clutching is nothing like that, can't be stuffed explaining it, but the only time you double clutch up is in a old school car which can't shift fast enough, so when you try to shift, the revs drop to idle before you engage the next gear, then is when you rev to make it engage, as some old cars wouldn't engage. Or in a modern car when you stuff up, and the revs drop to idle, you can give it a little blip to make it smooth, but it's not necessary in modern cars.

Now, if you have to do that, you must be shifting incredibly slowing.

The first post in this thread is a terrific way to spend $800 on a new clutch every 3 months.

Double clutching is generally done if your syncros are stuffed, or if your like me and you ocassionally do it when putting around town just to be gentle and kind to your cars gear box. Its a nice clean way to change gears and learn about rev matching.

Double clutching is generally used on downchanges, but it can be used on upchanges on very old cars where the gearbox synchros are pretty knackered. The basic principle is to match the speed of the gearbox input shaft to the speed of the output shaft, and reduce the load on the synchros.

Most common on downshifts, there are 2 variants - heel/toe and double clutch.

In a heel/toe, most common on modern cars to prevent the rear wheels trying to drive the engine when you engage a lower gear, the idea is to blip the throttle in the middle of the gear change, while the clutch is depressed and the gear lever is in the neutral position between gears. This brings the engine speed up to the match road speed of the lower gear. It is usually done by applying brake with the toe of your right foot, and pivoting the heel of your foot around to blip the throttle, hence its name - heel / toe.

With double clutch, instead of having the clutch depressed, you release the clutch while blipping the throttle, then depress it again to engage the gear. This is to match the engine speed to the road speed when the synchros are crook and don't actually do the job they are supposed to.

Hope that all makes sense.

Double clutching is nothing like that, can't be stuffed explaining it, but the only time you double clutch up is in a old school car which can't shift fast enough, so when you try to shift, the revs drop to idle before you engage the next gear, then is when you rev to make it engage, as some old cars wouldn't engage. Or in a modern car when you stuff up, and the revs drop to idle, you can give it a little blip to make it smooth, but it's not necessary in modern cars.

Now, if you have to do that, you must be shifting incredibly slowing.

Can't say I've heard that before. How old are you talking here? Even my friend's 1940s Vauxhall shifts fast enough. Anyway, the usual time you double declutch is on a downshift, not an upshift.

Double DE-clutching.

Different to double clutching.

Double De-clutching is down, double clutching is up.

Some old cars need it, say morris', haha, and trucks things like that.

Cars whose gearbox is sloppy, synchros worn, things like that. Not necessarily all "old" cars, just a characteristic of a few of them.

just dont do it.

if you want an interesting gearchange (and plenty of interesting things happening to your clutch/gearbox/engine) just try changing gears very fast without lifting off at all (flat shifting like some others have explained)

its best if you try it in someone elses car, such as a hire car :)