SAU Community

Intercooler for my Car??

adrnln

From other peoples experience what is the best way to set up a FMIC for the Cefiro.

I know that the MA70 supra core fits in nice with the inlets same side.

and the GTR cooler it s great up grade but I'm unsure how to tackle this

All advice would be great

Andrew

i guess it depends on what you want to do in the long run, keep stock turbo or upgrade and so forth from my understanding bigger isnt always better. i have a small trust fmic and it works great with the stock turbo, but if your upgrading everything then plan ahead and get a larger size cooler. it seems most japs wif low budgets just get an oil cooler and keep the stock cooler on their ceffs.

What about if you where to buy a full brand name kit. Could you buy a Greddy or HKS kit for a R32 or R31? Im curious if all the piping lines up without custom work.

I was in the same boat a few months back.

I ended up getting a 600 x 250 x 70 mm intercooler from a guy on ebay brand new for $330 its an interesting cooler and the insides look like (///////)

its not a tube but an extrusion with fins on the outside.

it performs very well but it was a bitch to fit behind the stock bar and i made all the pipes myself. i wouldnt reccomend this take it and get it fittred professionaly because it took me a whole day to fit it and lots of trips all over the place to get all the bits i needed.

all up if i had taken it somewhere it would have cost me $660.

it is the same length as the gtr cooler but 50mm shorter as i wanted it to fit without being to low.

I have been happy with it and would not reccomend going a bigger sidemount.

untitled.jpg

here is a dodgy diagram took me a while to draw hehe

there are SEVEN!!!!!! 90 deg bends. and one piece 600mm long i bought it all from liverpool exhaust for $90

then i bought silicone hose and you need a

LOT

take my advice and get your bends lipped unless you want to blow off hoses every time you hit boost.

buy good hose clamps.

its a super tight fit

I have a VG30 turbo and bigger fuel pump going in hopefully in the next few weeks and just looking at working around those for now.

cool, i wanted to go the vg30 as well, what have you been quoted on the power output, i heard they are a very good responsive turbo.

sorry to change topic.

dont put the vg30 on if you still want to keep your excellent response.

I have had t25, t28, t3/4 hybrid, vg30

t25: excellent response and comes on fuul boost fast but not much power

t28: good/very good response good useable power throughtout rev range

t3/4 hybrid. lag city piece of shit

vg30 excellent power but too much lag for the rb20.

get a rb25 turb or save for an hks 2530

Yea i have heard thats its a bit laggy but on the cheap (for me) as my turbo is a bit stuffed and need it replaced soon its the only option ..... . for now

I have talk to a few poeple and the VG30 was a good upgrade for them but I will find out soon enough

my mate put the MA70 FMIC on with inlets on the same side and used bugger all piping too was a great upgrade for him (silvia rb20)

still unsure what I would like or what I could afford to do. but it will sure make up my mind

the ma 70 is an excellent cooler you should be able to pick up for 150. i know a few guys using these coolers on sr20s with good results.

if you can find a vg30bb get it or other wise a rb25 can be had for 350-400 with zero mods needed.

I have modded the housings with my rb25 turb and it spools up even slightly quicker than the rb20 but max power would be 210 215rwkw @14.7psi.

Also keep your eye open for bargins i have seen some excellent turbs going on ebay for around $500 :aroused:

The toyota cores look big, but have thin restrictive tubes and don't flow all that well compared to aftermarket units

The hybrid cores (or copies) would run rings around those toyota cores for flow, and can be had for $300-350 for a 600x300x76.

I don't understand why people use factory coolers as an upgrade anymore with new coolers being priced so cheap

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure if you buy a full kit with the piping, you get it for a RB25 R33. The R32 and Cefiro use basically the same piping, but they have a couple different one's that you don't really notice until after. In my experience, if you use piping made for a 32, the side where the stock intercooler goes never sit right, because the bends to the stock IC are at different angles. So basically, it'll always sit crooked. If you use R-33 piping, it sit's just right. That's how it is over here in japan, but it might be different over there.