SAU Community

Hard drive failure

ric777

Ok, so after telling all who I do upgrades etc for to make sure they backup their data, I have been caught big time with my pants down. Unfortunately I've gotten a bit coc*y thinking that a hard drive with a 3 year warranty would give me at least a couple of years and so some of my data was not backed up. This bloody thing is barely a year old and has totally **cked up.

Was doing some graphics work on some pictures when the comp. suddenly rebooted and it kept rebooting once it reached the Windows XP screen every time and even when trying in safe mode. Did an Fdisk and it showed -273MB, that's absurd. Never seen anything like it.

Have hooked it up as a slave and also thru' a usb caddy but can not even see the device, which should be drive "G", in this case.

Looking for someone who is able to retrieve data off a dead drive, if that's possible and who is not going to charge the earth and also the moon.

Things I need are Bizz Wizz backup files (yes I did back them up but recently only on that drive.)

Some photo's of my daughters little bloke

Sh!t loads of songs recently downloaded

Photos of the Beddy van which I had spent heaps of hours editing trying to come up with a graphics scheme for the paint job that's coming up.

Favourites, including Skyline related sites.

And some DWG (Autocad) files, although they aren't that important.

I doubt that Western Digital would be bothered with doing that even tho' their stupid hard drive failed so early.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ok, so after telling all who I do upgrades etc for to make sure they backup their data, I have been caught big time with my pants down. Unfortunately I've gotten a bit coc*y thinking that a hard drive with a 3 year warranty would give me at least a couple of years and so some of my data was not backed up. This bloody thing is barely a year old and has totally **cked up.

Was doing some graphics work on some pictures when the comp. suddenly rebooted and it kept rebooting once it reached the Windows XP screen every time and even when trying in safe mode. Did an Fdisk and it showed -273MB, that's absurd. Never seen anything like it.

Have hooked it up as a slave and also thru' a usb caddy but can not even see the device, which should be drive "G", in this case.

Looking for someone who is able to retrieve data off a dead drive, if that's possible and who is not going to charge the earth and also the moon.

Things I need are Bizz Wizz backup files (yes I did back them up but recently only  on that drive.)  

Some photo's of my daughters little bloke

Sh!t loads of songs recently downloaded

Photos of the Beddy van which I had spent heaps of hours editing trying to come up with a graphics scheme for the paint job that's coming up.

Favourites, including Skyline related sites.

And some DWG (Autocad) files, although they aren't that important.

I doubt that Western Digital would be bothered with doing that even tho' their stupid hard drive failed so early.

Any suggestions appreciated.

WD? My fken WD failed too, not even a year old.

depends how keen you are to retreive it. I spent $450 with a mob called Forensic Data in Sydney, including a trip to the US to a lab to find it was 100% unretreivable. They claim about 70% success rate so I guess I must just be a statistic ;)

My last full backup was 13 months before :O

Guest Variable

Try a program called GetDataBack (specific NTFS and Fat32 versions). I had a whole invisible partition on my laptop harddrive that I was able to recover.

Good Luck

pm me if you need more info.

scary stuff! My WD caviar sh*t itself 2 months back as well...unretrievable data, but luckily all the important stuff was backed up. Now have gone to a Barracuda, after many many years being a WD fan...no more !

Best of luck getting the data....

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the input guys. Only ever had 1 low speed WD go down on someones pc a few years ago. Was a Quantum fan until they went feral for a while there and gave up on them.

Didn't have much luck with Seagate. Looks like WD are going thru' that phase atm.

Duncan.. that must of hurt

Robocop.. have found the website, will see if that might work

Well guys, miracles sometimes do happen. Went to Austins to get a MB for a pc I'm building and the guy I know there gives me this WD mini disk that has Data Life guard on it. He said that it may identify what the prob is with the HD.

Anyway, I run this cd and the bloody thing is in Japanese, so not much use to me, but gets me thinking that I should visit the WD site and it was downloadable. Anyway I make a bootable diag. floppy and hook up the dodgey hd and it scans it and says no errors with the hd.

So I boot from the hd and it does a chk disk by itself (which it hadn't done b/4) and makes me think that perhaps something may happen this time. But then it reboots and there's me thinking, "sh!t it's doing the same think as b/4" but lo and behold, it boots up fine. Yey F****** Yey.

So I quickly get my Bizz Wizz stuff off first and the other stuff in order of importance, just incase this hd goes silly again. Still got music to get off but that's going to take 2 cd's so if it happens, fine. If not, too bad.

So there we have it guys. It may work for some of you guys.

yeah theres no guarantee with HDDs nowaydays no matter what brand. I used to work in a computer wholesaler and we sold every type of HDDs - WD, IBM, Seagate, Fujitsu, Maxtor etc

Even the SCSI versions which are so much better i had DOAs everyday. 3 year warranty means bugger all in terms of build quality.

ric777 if you have this problem again and lucky you have a 2nd hdd that is master get a program call R-Studio Pro its the god of all these recovery programs.

example, i had a 80GB go no boot nothing only detect in bios (lucky)

R-STudio recovers even deleted/purged stuff (not formatted) I got back 120GB?!?! no shit outta an 80GB drive.

R-Studio I heard was onced used with the FBI for getting kiddy rapers.

yeah but the problem is they lose a 80GB hDD and you recover back 79GB of it and they are still all pissed off cause the 1GB that couldn't be recovered has everything they really wanted off it.

had to deal with that all the time at my old work and the amount of crap reasons that come out with them not wanting to pay for the service is a real piss off. computer jobs flat out suck unless your a deal with no-one network admin but hey if you can get a niche going then your set.

yeah but the problem is they lose a 80GB hDD and you recover back 79GB of it and they are still all pissed off cause the 1GB that couldn't be recovered has everything they really wanted off it.

had to deal with that all the time at my old work and the amount of crap reasons that come out with them not wanting to pay for the service is a real piss off. computer jobs flat out suck unless your a deal with no-one network admin but hey if you can get a niche going then your set.

Know where you're coming from.

don't know how many times I've spent hours on old machines that were really only good for boat anchors. 2 hours worth of labor was worth more than the stupid things. Unfortunately most of the time it happens to be PC's of friends.

Got to the stage now that I won't bother looking at anything that's too old. Just can't be bothered.

most of the time your buggering around with viruses or corrupted system files and you can easily dick around trying to get to the files they want for 4 hrs. then it usually comes down to a reinstall of everything they got. another 2 hrs at least there.

when you are charging a real cheap $50/hr (some charge $80 so if your paying $50 don't complain) 6 hrs work $300 - not many people are willing to pay that so your wasting time with the sole trader business.

but anyways good to hear you got it all back good stuff.

most of the time your buggering around with viruses or corrupted system files and you can easily dick around trying to get to the files they want for 4 hrs. then it usually comes down to a reinstall of everything they got. another 2 hrs at least there.

when you are charging a real cheap $50/hr (some charge $80 so if your paying $50 don't complain) 6 hrs work $300 - not many people are willing to pay that so your wasting time with the sole trader business.

but anyways good to hear you got it all back good stuff.

:P:P:D couldn't have said it better if I tried.

• 1 month later...
Ohh the pain of broken Hard drives.. Who did you speak to at Austin computers? I worked for them for a few years untill I started up my own shop.

- Adam

David Guildford, nice bloke but moved on now, got into security.

Can you match their prices or better. I'm on reseller list although haven't done much lately.

Ric

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I had a similar situation with my R32 GTS4. I replaced that solenoid, but it hasn't solved the problem. So its possible the pump is failing. It seems you need to drop the diff in order to do anything that might fix this. So its important to know exactly what the problem is. Or just replace / repair everything while the diff is out.
    • Yep, I was supprised. Its all about flow rather then housing size.  Doing G35-900 Vs ATR45SS-1 Next. 62mm V 61mm. 
    • Of course sometimes you cannot go with the cheaper alternative but I try to weigh it up for the application - am I competing or am I going to the track ten times p/yr. As long as there’s enough information out there to back the cheaper alternative as a good option I’ll go for that.   I’m a bit of a bastard though as it’s my job to reduce costs, particularly on non income generating assets. EUR 500 saved for the diff + EUR 1,000 saved on BC racing over Bilstein and then say EUR 300 versus EUR 600 on an off brand windscreen versus OEM (for example) soon accumulates. I mean, I’m probably gonna put the car in the ditch anyway. Absolutely do not take this as a justification for always buying cheap shitty parts, just a rationale for doing your research and considering what’s necessary for your application.    
    • All the above effort, time, swapping out parts in the dark (i.e. no O2 data). You're literally running in the dark.
    • Looks like both of my cars have pressure switch issues. The R32 GTR has 18 flashes on the ATTESSA controller which is "ETS pressure switch circuit". The 4WD light is intermittent, and often just restarting the car clears it. There is an $300 replacement option https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/285675135148?itmmeta=01HXN3YKRGKQ08GRZ5KFKKZWJT&hash=item428390a0ac:g:6CcAAOSwWxBltMEG so if it becomes a permanent issue and I can confirm that the switch is the issue, i have a solution. The NM35 is reporting C1208, and disconnecting the switch causes the 4WD light to go away. Translating from the Japanese shop manual "when the pressure is reduced to 2.6MPa (377 psi) or less: conduction occurs when the pressure increases to 3.8MPa (550 psi) or less: conduction is present. Reference: • Immediately after the E-TS actuator motor stops, the pressure inside the accumulator is high and there is no continuity." Not sure how good the translation is but from what i can deduce this means the switch is normally closed (NC) and as the pressure builds from 0 to 550 psi the switch stays closed, then opens and 550 psi. As the pressure drops from 550 psi to 377 psi the switch stays open then closes again at 377 psi. Is that how these things work? These pressures are a lot higher than the R32 ("control pressure 0-228 psi") but i'm hoping i can find a generic switch (like they've done for the R32) to use as a replacement. Maybe something like https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/355586397452?epid=1676016964&itmmeta=01HXN534AF22ACTG6TGDDQGEQ7&hash=item52ca99d50c:g:mAEAAOSw8ilmBcMh&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8LtWdNlWHgyJ%2F3cbw25S2A1lde3qBi3fJii4T3lQavCz4kpqiD42SmBa4FocMvXCjcxiowHjb8vZ8%2BWxc53BkHv781tkStSnCDaenfGKC3bIp0keK20dfsn9LoPa3TfqaEmAydqqyKobgTdXsGGzsl%2BRjOVGuD8OIpOv%2B0wMl7aUtHg0iJtojbtzA%2BRS8Xfm8Ufjuvz4niwrqglAXFUbkL6J%2FGuHPeeECZhLBBN3iNM1Swl94Fv5zE95YK%2B5O6dxDN1ySNOjdMxkA8yaprbuwRHFQv1nlGh%2FWjekj6EUFR2%2FO4HTsoKtSAkY0Mj1w1uf1w%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6zFjKXtYw but with a lower close pressure, and thread adapter if required. Am i dreaming?