SAU Community

replacing rear subframe bushes on R32 GTR

My GTR has got a rattle the ass end and after checking everything pretty sure it's the rear subframe bushes (the ones closest to the front ) that are making the noise specially as one is leaking sticky fluid .

Now my question is how hard are they to replace,who should I be seeing and what are my best options ?.

You can do it yourself, but there is a bit involved - few things to remove to make it easier. the 'pineapples' eliminate much of the squish, but will transfer more shock.

See if you can get a tyre shop to put it on a 4 post hoist - might make tracking the problem easier.

hi, I just did this job on my R32 GTS4, and it is a large job, not that difficult but definitely time consuming.

I bought another subframe removed the bushes and then put new bushes into it and then replaced the subframe on the car. I have just removed the bushes from the subframe and am planning on selling it.

If you do the hard part by yourself and then have subframe fitted by mechanics(who know what they are doing) it is about $400-$500, to remove subframe from car, transfer the diff and suspension links over to new rebushed subframe, refit subframe and bleed the 4wd system. Up here in Brisbane they will charge you about $1000 to do the complete job + bushes. UAS has them for about $160 set of 4 noltec urethane bushes.

You can do it by yourself but you need to be patient and careful. The job will take 10-12 hours. 4 hours to get bushes out and fit new ones. 1-2 hours to remove subframe, 2-3 hours to remove & fit suspension - it is much easier to fit bushes if subframe has nothing attached to it. 2-3 hours to refit subframe to car and hook everything up and bleed attessa. + a wheel alignment.

It is the better solution than pineapples as they tie the subframe more securely to the car, apparently the urethane bushes will also negate some of the 4ws that the hicas does(it relies on the compliance of the bushes to help it steer the rear wheels) but it is much more expensive as earlier mentioned, I've heard that down in sydney some are charging about $1500 to do the job which is a bit excessive!

My car feels much tighter now and I will be taking it to QLD raceway for a trackday on tuesday so I am expecting the car to handle a bit better.

Stephen