SAU Community

Saying no to a Skyline...again. :(

NS2500

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Things have changed again and the time has come to let that car go - it's approaching 150k kms, services are costing me heaps and it does 15/16L per 100km when I drive it around (and I drive a lot).

u need an r31 .. spent $100 on servicing last year.. gets 12L/100.. runs a treat and its 19 years old :(

none of those in the list u posted above.. but only because i like to have something a little different. If you want something a "little more sporty" is any of them really going to cut the cake for long? in 12 months, you'll probably be after something else faster again..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true none of them are performace cars, but..........

By far the Mazda 3 SP23 is the best of the smaller car range, followed by the Holden Astra then the Subaru RX.

Don't even both looking at the Honda Jazz that just ridiculous to compare them to any of these cars and the pulasr is good without being outstanding in any field. It's just not the best valued samller car on the market.

Nobody can really tell you what car to buy, it's really a personal desicion. I myself am in the middle of getting a new car. I am currently driving my g/f Astra. It's a very good little car and does the job it was made to do, it's economical and has the power to get to the speed limit and can handle a full load of passengers with the air-con on full and still doens't struggle.

Having said that the SP23 is the most sporty version of any car in that range and as such is head and shoulders above the rest. No real cons about the car, the fact it's front wheel drive is basically irrelivant because not many car manafacures make small cars that are rear wheel drive. This just might be your preference.

If you want a car to make noise get either a Mazda 6 or Holden Vectra they both use small engines still but slightly better on the models down and also come with alot more for your money and they also come in under 30k.

Good Luck

I wouldn't say the SP23 is heads and shoulders above the rest:

SP23 - 2.3L / 115kw / 203nm / FWD

Impreza RS - 2.5L / 112kw / 223nm / AWD

Basically the same interior space and features. As for an Astra, as much as I do like them it's a Holden.

i voted sub, mate just bought a 2nd hand RS sedan, its not to bad, (i dont like the look of them) but for what you want, it drives pretty nice and grips the road.

I'd go for a 2002 model B4 - they were 60k new, you can pick them up now for about 30k.. my mate owns one who i car pool with to work, it handles well, has a bit of go when you need it, and, has 4 doors, full leather interior... When i get over the GTR i'll definatly be looking at one or the new GT... (If i can't afford my M3) :cheers:

Aren't they made in germany by Opel and rebadged as Holden's for the Australian market?

I think they are actually made in germany, but yes holden don't "actually" make them. You can dismiss a car just because it's made by 1 company if you are after best value for money.

Just comparing the power and torque cars have they are very much similar, but start to take into account the actually running cost of the car. Inlude full services and so on and when you buy a subaru you pay through the nose for it. Even the NRMA agree the Mazda is cheaper to run while having more standard features than any other car in its class, that's why they said it was 'Best small medium car or the year".

I agree with 08Elf.... you must also consider the long run costs of the car.... How much is each 10k service, when do things needs to be replaced.... tyre sizes/costs.... fuel economy....

further more you have to consider the comfort factors like the interior finishes... what you can and cannot change... space practicality (remember the r33 boots) You should really consider a test drive with your fiance, if you haven't already done so... (Girls need to be comfortable with what they drive, and I think we guys can get used to driving anything)

I personally prefer subarus.... because I borrow my friend's subby to go on the beaches every now and then.

I am really thinking about hand my skyline to my little bro in 3yrs time, so I can get a subaru (probably a liberty though, which has higher maintanance cost than imprezas)

It's definitely not an easy choice between the RS and SP23. I am still swaying towards the RS though - mainly for the AWD (safety, traction, cornering etc.) and I personally feel it will be more fun. I'm not too worried about the servicing costs.

It's definitely not an easy choice between the RS and SP23. I am still swaying towards the RS though - mainly for the AWD (safety, traction, cornering etc.) and I personally feel it will be more fun. I'm not too worried about the servicing costs.

How can you say no to 4WD (especially vs FF)?

If your after fuel efficiency i think the jazz is the way. i remember reading in motor or wheels that they drove one from melbourne to sydney on $50. Thats including $8 on KFC :rant:

but like people said before, it all comes down to what you like

Hi Greg,

While my car was getting the gearbox fixed, I had a Pulsar ST for a few days, its easy to drive, gets great fuel economy, easy to park, etc. Great little car, in fact the only negative thing I can say about it is that it gets a bit scary when you take up to 160 km/h, but otherwise its fine

-Sam

my fiancee has a new pulsar Q hatch... great little car with all the creature comforts and 700km's out of one take of fuel (i was the skyline did that!) oh yeah with a 6 year warranty!