SAU Community

spark plugs for a RB25T

sik33t

The iridium and platinum plugs are good, and have a long service life compared to the coppers, but if your planning on boosting, or already have an RB25T, then just go the copper!

Reason: You'd be wasting your money going for the others, as the 25T tends to run very rich without aftermarket management, meaning your new expensive plugs will get fouled just as quickly, and need to be pulled out to be cleaned.... and there is only a certain amount of times you can do this.

So....

If you are going to pull them out anyway, in the long run it will cost about the same to keep putting new coppers in every time you pulled them out! I know I'd rather be putting new plugs in every time! Also the amount of spark generated by any of these plugs is just the same!

If you want a good copper plug, try:

NGK BCPR6E (or if u dont find them, try BCPR6ES)

The plug without the S is the v-groove, which gives off a slightly better spark.

Almost forgot, regap them to about 0.7, maybe even as low as 0.65 if your planning on really cranking up the boost.

Zahos

5's are a warmer plug.

I'd assume putting the 5's in means that the plug is not capable of dissapating heat fast enough and the HOT plug will pre-ignite the fuel, causing the car to ping under high load and high boost.

6 is the recomended heat rating for the RB20/25 (dont know about RB26). Unless you have heavily modded the car, and/or have aftermarket/re-mapped management, I wouldn't go cooler than 6, as the plugs will foul easily (found this out from experience).

Pretty sure im running BCPR6E's. Was missing under boost so took them out and regapped to .08. No problem since.

So it may be worth re gapping and cleaning before you go and buy new plugs.

btw - gapped at .08 running 10psi on a rb25det.

Dave

but they should have already come gapped at 0.8.

In the NGK coppers, usually you will find that unless the part # has a -11 trailing (eg: BCPR6ES-11), they are gapped at 0.8. If the part # has the -11 then they are gapped at 1.1mm.

Zahos is correct.

While i was learning about electricity, Silver is the best conductor of electricity, second to that is copper, then it goes down the list & iridiums & platinum golds goes somewhere down the list.

iridium and platinum are good plugs but i wouldnt spend $18.50+ for a single plug that last longer.

*Note* if your getting Copper (which i reckon you should) change them as often as you change your engine oil as they dont last long.

I would go for cheap copper ones gapped to .8 & have them at heat range of 6-7 depending on how much power your car is making.

I blew a spark plug (Iridium heat range6) on my RB20det doin 162rwkw & Now i got copper with heat range of 7 & does great.

Originally posted by Joe

Zahos is correct.

While i was learning about electricity, Silver is the best conductor of electricity, second to that is copper, then it goes down the list & iridiums & platinum golds goes somewhere down the list.

Gold and platinum are EXCELLENT conductors :D

they are dont get me wrong, but copper are just better!

Ive started a MIG/TIG welding class & we gotta learn about voltages & watts & what current will weld alloys & what would weld stainless etc etc

& nothing beats Copper in conducting electric but Silver!

Guest SPOOLIN

Ok feel free to shoot me down, But why has ALL of the top end audio gear got Gold connectors?? If Copper & Silver are the best conductors wouldn't it be cheaper to use this?

Lee

Originally posted by SPOOLIN

Ok feel free to shoot me down, But why has ALL of the top end audio gear got Gold connectors?? If Copper & Silver are the best conductors wouldn't it be cheaper to use this?

Lee

LOL god if i know man, i was taught that from the text books & welding books.

but then again how can we compair the amount of power used on a Welding machine to a 12a powered amp.

But i cant answer your question, its might be gold plated i doubt anything would be fully gold.

Originally posted by SPOOLIN

Lee

Hehe ok last msg off topic :lol:

Being an Electronics tech i can tell ya that Gold is the best conductor all round, doesnt tarnish either,

Conectors and audio gear is usually thin plated with 24k gold and this provides the conductivity and also protects the copper item underneath

Silver then copper maybe there are a few diff metals in between but at my work to get a good busbar we take the copper bar and plate it in silver which rates the item higher in conductivity and heat transfer

Thats why these plug tips are made from these materials such as IR Platinum Cop and so on

Originally posted by macka

Hehe ok last msg off topic :lol:  

Being an Electronics tech i can tell ya that Gold is the best conductor all round,

NOT true.

Just some facts on copper, silver and gold:

Copper: electrical resistivity 1.7E-8 Ohm.m, thermal conductivity 400 W/m/K.

Silver: electrical resistivity 1.6E-8 Ohm.m, thermal conductivity 430 W/m/K.

Gold: electrical resistivity 2.2E-8 Ohm.m, thermal conductivity 320 W/m/K.

(All data courtesy of webelements.com)

As you can see, silver has the lowest electrical resistivity, hence the highest electrical conductivity. It also has the highest thermal conductivity. On the other hand, gold is the last on the list both in terms of electrical and thermal conductivity.

So, why is gold used on audio connectors? Because it LOOKS good and it doesn't oxidise as easily as silver or copper (it has the highest electron affinity amongst the three). Silver is used for internal electrical contacts such as in switches and relays, because you cannot show them off, so the best material is used rather than the prettiest.

Bullshit only power relays are pure silver while 90% are gold most edge connectors are gold we use gold components at work for alot of electrical apps most of them are unseen.

silver is only used to stop arcing

I agree that Gold isnt the most thermal but whoopdy do this thead aint about metals as such anyway mr i know everything about cold metals

cheers

All I am saying is that silver has the highest known electrical and thermal conductivity of all metals. That is a fact. Cold hard facts do not lie. Check the figures out yourself if you don't believe me, any good chemistry book will do. Alternatively, do a search on the net. Therefore, the fact that gold is used extensively in electronics must be due to something else other than electrical conductivity, such as superior corrosion resistance and nice appearance. I rest my case.

P.S. The moment you assume you know everything, you lose the plot. Nobody knows everything. Life is a long journey of continous learning and discovery. I am but a humble student.

Ahhdeeaahh

I never said at any point that silver Wasnt electrically AND thermally the best conductive of all metals.

Ok what ever...case closed......

not jacking this thread any more..

Henros I know what your getting at but i dont agree with u entirely...........!

But im not going on about it in this thread allthough interesting issue......cheers :)

mac