SAU Community

Last Nights Ugly Drags

two40

Okay, this isn't getting anywhere.

I'm saying the confiscation law is good, but the ratio of confiscated cars to cars partaking in street drags is negligible, and doesn't wage any kind of fear into street racers because Police aren't enforcing the law enough.

You're saying that "plenty of cars" have been confiscated... What? 10? 20? Out of how many? 400? 600? 1000? That doesn't seem like "plenty" to me. Doesn't sound like the police are enforcing the law to me!

How are street racers able to attend these same spots for "years and years"? Doesn't sound like the police are enforcing the law to me!

"Therefore, further action is required by the government."

Agreed, but no-one has come up with any REAL suggestions on any methods that will reap IMMEDIATE results like the government wants. The $10,000 fine is not a viable suggestion, whether you believe me or not dunno.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this isn't getting anywhere.  

I'm saying the confiscation law is good, but the ratio of confiscated cars to cars partaking in street drags is negligible, and doesn't wage any kind of fear into street racers because Police aren't enforcing the law enough.

You're saying that "plenty of cars" have been confiscated... What? 10? 20? Out of how many? 400? 600? 1000? That doesn't seem like "plenty" to me. Doesn't sound like the police are enforcing the law to me!  

How are street racers able to attend these same spots for "years and years"? Doesn't sound like the police are enforcing the law to me!  

"Therefore, further action is required by the government."  

Agreed, but no-one has come up with any REAL suggestions on any methods that will reap IMMEDIATE results like the government wants. The $10,000 fine is not a viable suggestion, whether you believe me or not dunno.gif

Without actual numbers of confiscation, we can't really say what the ratio is and it isn't that easy to gauge. Re-read my last post. But I actually do agree that the law is not working - no matter how many cars were being confiscated - and a large portion of the reason for this is the lack of resources available to enforce it. That is not to say that it is not enforced at all.

It is a given that they still occur, police or no police. But another important factor is the lack of resources. The police do not have enough manpower to constantly chase street racers.

As for immediate results, well, dedicate a number of police to cracking down on these racers adn known spots. This well inevitable be the case due to the recent incidents. But it won't last due to the lack of police manpower to constantly enforce this law. there are other areas that are given higher priority. But I can guarantee you one thing - the police will be out on a defect blitz for anything modified and twice as hard if it has P-Plates on it. Things are about to get worse for all modified car owners.

Andrew,

The police cannot afford to run patrols to the level that would make a difference. You know it yourself as does anyone who does any driving in Syd. - unless there is a double demerit point blitz, there is zero police prescence.

There isn't much in the way that the lawmakers can punish those who want to street race. Confiscations do occur - we used to hear about it every so often on the various forums.

We all agree that something should be done but we're really as dumbfounded as your neighbour in his Camry.

P-platers will continue to get the shaft and there'll be no further education.

Meanwhile...

A cop gets run over by a P-plater at Five Dock - a hit and run hero at an RBT.

And all the while the fun gets sucked out of this hobby.

T.

There was a period of time of about a month or two early last year where the Police went completely nuts with those defect stations. Have you all forgotten that?

We even stopped organising any cruises at all for that period, because any drive to Brighton, Sans Souci, Wollongong, Terrigal, Harry's Pies in Woolloomooloo, Kings Cross.... ANYWHERE would result in driving face first into a mobile defect station.

I stopped driving my Skyline COMPLETELY as we were inundated with stories and reports of Defect Stations in every possible suburb, some that even had us scratching our heads.

Don't tell me they don't have the resources. That's bullsh1t.

edit: NXTIME, I agreed with everything in your last post :cheers:

That is true, Andrew. However, how long did it last for? As mentioned earlier, the police cannot enforce the street racing laws at a continuing level due to the lack of manpower. Whenever there is an incident or two like this and the media get their propaganda and paper-selling machines into overdrive, that is when the police will be out in a show of force. But this cannot be sustained for any long period of time. They have other, more important crimes to attend to. Just listen to one of the online police scanners and you will see the crap that the police have to deal with. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes no matter how much you paid me.

That's true.

Just after the EVL-34 incident, I stopped driving mine into 'danger' areas. But they can't keep that effort up. I know they can't even do regular patrols of drag hot spots.

You can see it in the way they enforce traffic. People used to get done for failing to indicate and poor merging and other fines that require a police car to pull you over. Now it's all 69 in a 60 zone.

T.

True, they don't have the resources to keep a crackdown like that sustained over a long period of time.......... But I never said that they did, nor do they need to.

That defect blitz put the fear of God in us, and we were afraid to go cruising for a few months following that massacre.

My point is that they have the resources to do what they deem is important. Unfortunately stopping street racing isn't high on their list, because as NXTIME said, they have a whole lot of other, more serious problems to focus on.

But until a solution is found, and even we can't come up with a workable solution, I'm afraid that the finger pointing at skyline owners is going to continue, especially is kids keep splitting their GTRs in two around telegraph poles :cheers:

........... and do you think legislation like that would EVER pass through our parliament? sad2.gif

Lets be realistic here.

even if it did hell even if it was $100 000, like my pommy workm8 says. he says its worked else it wouldnt stop them cos they wouldnt think about the money til they get done over. my m8 seems 2 think otherwise

meh - stuff imposing fines and confiscating the cars - it doesnt work!! Lock em up and give em the ' Frank the friendly rednecks cellmate back door treatment '!! Who wants to do time for racin and who wants to be Franks love toy for racin?? fu(k dat!!

No mesely crackdowns, no pissy fines, no shallow scare tactics - lock da fu(kers up and take there freedom.

These guys are a threat to innocent people and also to themselves so they should be dealt with harshly.

And lets not play that shit about "they are just people enjoying there cars and they should be on a strip" FFS - If they wanted to be on a strip then they would. These people love to race illegaly and they get a buzz from it - fact is they are breaking the law and people are dying from it - lock em up.

For the better part I'd have to agree with gR33ddy in as much as the laws in Aus are a joke !! The laws are about getting the little fish, not the big ones because they're better revenue generators and easy pickings. I think most people would think twice about doing things if they knew they would do time behind bars ( at least a year for a strong offence ).

The fact is, virtually all the laws in Aus suck !! Have you seen how many people break the law in Russia ??? Stuff up over there and the cops will FIRSTLY beat the unholy crap out of you and THEN you'll get charged !!! Not that this is the ideal solution but a balance between that and what we have would go a LONG WAY to changing the mindset of those who wanna chance it !!!!

In my opinion, street racers are those who need an excuse ready, in case they lose. I've got no traction. There was a bump in the road. What ??? You didn't see that dog crossing the road ??? TAKE IT TO WSID WHERE THE ONLY EXCUSE FOR LOSING IS YOU !!

Chuck them in gaol for 6 months with all the murders and child molestors......... Anyone with the lack of respect for human life like these guys have should be severly disciplined.

SPHYNX[x']In my opinion, shit ass, and stupid movies like fast and furious and games like nfsu just make people want to street race more and gives them ideas. nfsu not so much though...

Dude im sorry i dont agree with this one little bit.... have u ever played Doom or SOF or GTA??? Did u then walk out the door and wanna smash someone’s side window pull them out of the car, kill them then run from the cops??? Then put in a cheat so u get away with it... come on man it's a game and if people cant distinguish between a game and reality then they have other issues that need to be taken very seriously and shouldn’t have been issued a licence to begin with.

This is a big topic that is as good as Australia wide we have similar problems in Melb and the best way I feel we can do anything about it is to stick together as a club and do things like what Merlin did and email people write letters and voice our opinion to the correct people in a diplomatic way and our voices might get heard… Have a read of the Current Auto Salon Magazine if you get a chance before 28th of Feb and read the article about this current issue and if you agree with it’s views sign the partition and send it to the government they are now actually asking for our opinion Be heard and the ASM article is a very simple way of doing this…

Have you seen how many people break the law in Russia ??? Stuff up over there and the cops will FIRSTLY beat the unholy crap out of you and THEN you'll get charged !!!

Ummmm... I'd rather not live in a totalitarian and junta-based society, but if that's what turns you on, Mother Russia is awaiting your visa application.

This is what I mean by it's hard to come up with a solution. Everyone is throwing around solutions that simply wont work. Full stop. Setting laws isn't as easy as it seems.

Perhaps the easiest was to slow this behaviour is jail time. Nice and simple.

Dude, if we implemented an open speed limit rule here, people would be killing themselves and other drivers left, right and centre. Our licencing system is so pathetic compared to Germany. They can afford to have autobahns because their drivers are well trained and use the speed with a modicum of responsibly (with the odd exception of course).

We wouldn't be able to handle an autobahn. We don't have the driver training for it.

the accdient happened just behind my house about 500m away.. heard the bang then heard all these screaming.. i knw it was the drags it happens every week.. my mum heard all the screaming thought it was a gang fight.. lol then shitloads of sirens.. damn hoonss

I'm going a bit off the ball here but I wonder if there's a street racing problem in Germany? If street racing is almost non-existant there perhaps implementing an open speed limit on highways here would resolve the problem?

gernamy has a worse fatality rate than NSW currently

if you have ever driven in gernamy everyone follows the speed limits (when it says 50 they do 50) and there arnt that many open limits anymore even majory express ways are starting to have 120 limits

its well known that throughout the world 5km/h faster increases you chance of and injury crash by double

Annnnnd this is all adding to the big list of reasons why my RX-7 will soon be sold. It's not going to get any better in the forseeable future, and I'm over trying to stick up for myself - the fact is, society now frowns upon P Platers with performance cars and we're getting hammered for it, whether we do the right thing or not.

Big ups to all the smart motherfcukers who can't take a hint and continue to cause shit on the roads. :rofl: