SAU Community

The Greatest Engine of All Time

hadean

Engine Technology International (ETi) issue January 2005: ETi contributors wax lyrical about what they think are the finest engines ever made.

Among the powerplants that graced the minds of them are:

Jaguar V12

Alfa Romeo 2000cc DOHC ca 1960

Chevrolet Smallblock

Ford-Cosworth DFV

Rover V8

Napier Sabre

BMW 4.4L V8 Valvetronic

Ford 427 SOHC

Ducati V-twin

Hillman Imp

Napier Deltic

Graham Johnson, editor of this magazine chose the HONDA 2-Liter (S2000) F20C.

"Why has no-one else selected this engine as the all-time great? Ill educated, soulless bunch (referring to the other contributors). What's not to love about this unit? It's got power: 240bhp to be exact, meaning it has more horses per liter than any other naturally aspirated engine - ever. It's got character too: actually it's got two - one, shy retiring type below 6,000rpm, and a fuel-crazed, raver above and beyond to 9,000rpm.

But there's more - this DOHC powerhouse sounds gorgeous at full flight; like it belongs in the nose of a Touring Car racer or even between the legs of the maddest motorcyclist.

And it's fuel efficient in that one can - 'one' I assume being someone limper of wrist - drive to an average of 13.6L/100km (32mpg). Hell, it even looks good, longitudinally mounted as an engine should be.

You just gotta thrash this one: it wants it; it demands a thorough, daily clear out - make that between each gear change (which, by the way, is another joyful experience because the subby lever is connected to the greatest gearbox of all time - another story).

Faults? Just one: Honda installed it in the S2000, a sports car the rump of which is not always as faithful as the power source.

Dads, grandads, then great grandads... this engine will be a talking point for a long time to come. This is the greatest engine of all time, and, thus far, it's got five International Engine of the Year Awards trophies to prove that fact."

- Graham Johnson, Engine Technology International | January 2005. Page 35.

yeah, that is what I am wondering. Maybe a mix of all them. Are they taking into account price? and price of replacement parts? Working on these engines?

But I would question how "reliable" some of them would be, and power figures are all so relative to the era. Obviously a newer engine will be a bit better on economy and power than an older one. So why not just pick every engine of the last 3 years?

Have they taken an age weighting? i.e. price, performance, and reliability of that time compared to everything else of that time?

Yeah it's a very subjective question, "What do you think is the greatest engine of all time" is. Just a quick glance through the list of the engines and you will immediately see that they range from 4 cylinders right through to 18 cylinder diesel monsters.

I read the entire article and each contributor to the magazine "Engine Technology International (ETi)" gave their opinion. Their experience ranges from motoring journalism, engineering as well as racing among others.

One of the contributors mentioned the Chevy Smallblock because of its economic impact and success for GM. The Rover V8, originally a GM motor, was chosen by another because it was ironically successful in Rovers' hands when it failed in GMs'.

The Jaguar V12 is very intersting because it's known to constantly break down, but at the time, the smooth power delivery amazing as you would expect from a dozen pots! The contributors come from many backgrounds and their age and experience obviously makes a big part of their decision. Some of the engines have become part of their fond memories of working on them or racing them. Like the Chevy motor which was chosen by an American.

This wasn't an award, trophy or accolade to try to determine 'the greatest motor ever', rather it the opinion of a panel of journalists who contribute to "Engine Technology International", a well respected automotive industry magazine that engine developers and car makers worldwide subscribe to.

The engines are not totally isolated to automotive use, the Napier Deltic was a 18 cylinder diesel turbo used in locomotives i believe. The magazine also mentions other engines such as aeroplane engines like the Merlin as SteveL mentioned... one of the most powerful aerial engines of its' era.

Other information of interest included a mention of solid fuel rocket motors used by the Apollo rockets used in the 60s and 70s by NASA, as well as 25,000rpm 125cc Honda racing engines...

If they had based their list on the 'Greatest PERFORMANCE engines of all time' I believe it would have been very very different. Surely more Japanese motors would have been mentioned (RB26 being one of the most successful ones from Japan).

Guest two.06l
my opinion is the M3 motor is a better straight 6 than a rb26 IMHO

if were talkin 4 stroke, then Briggs and Stratton has my vote

if were talkin 2 stroke, the good ol aussie Victa

My Favourtie Engines In category Order

4 Cylinder NA

Nissan L16 (the L block had a huge foot print, with the biggest conrods I ever did see.,..)

4 Cylinder Turbo

Nissan SR20DET from S15

Rotary

Mazda 13BTT Sequential setup..

6 Cylinder Inline Turbo This was hard, I own an RB26 and think it is unbeatable but the 2JZ is one awesome engine.. so equal honors...

Nissan RB26DETT from R34

Toyota 2JZ-GTE from RZ Supra

6 Cyliner Inline NA

Chrysler Slant 225 (If it wasn't for the Over and Under head these things would ahve been unstoppable.)

6 Cylinder 'V'

Chrysler 3.9L from 1990

V8 Cylinder Small Block

Chrysler 340ci from E49 Charger (perfect bore to stroke ratio for block.)

V8 Cylinder Big Block

Chrysler 440ci RB Block

V10 Cylinder

Chrysler V10 from Dodge (basically the same engine as 340.. wiht two extra cylinders)

You can probably tell I like Chryslers hey, spent a lot of time building them in my younger days..

Hate to burst his bubble about the S2000 ! Hah ! Piffle and codswallop !

But my favorite is th Alfa Romeo 33/2 (Daytona) 90 degree V8. Capacity 1995cc (Thats under 2Litres people).Twin over head cams. Two spark plugs per cylinder.Fuel injected.

Horsepwer 270 @ 9600rpm And this car was made from 1967 to 1969. Car weighed in at 580kg and had a top speed 298km/h

Read it and weep !

IMHO - The series A engine from Rover et al. (Mini's etc) It powered a nation, and the students too!

Cannot beat a emissions test in a series A? remove the oil, keep it warm and put into the testing station, it's a good one...!

(Then put oil back in, real quick)