SAU Community

Skylines for Targa 05

Targa Tom

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunc's love that SST humour :( oh so can you clarify in detail the actual mods to that car? I may have to buy an R34 someday, and would like to know what they have done to get it over the field of 996 TT's ....

and they won the whole thing Kor'axis....

well that was a hell of a week :(

our guys made it home in 38th with a rear suspension problem...they had been running as high as 28 but its just bad luck I guess.

Re the whites car....well SST must have tuned it since a fellow competitor claimed in made close to 800hp....from standard injectors, afm and exhaust?

Back before octagon steped in, there was a Japanise couple with a reputed 900hp GTR. Then octagon stepped in and everything is stockers now :)

well 900hp in the hands of an novice would always end in tears.... I think you will find that even Jimmy thought the 993 with a casual 550hp was far enough! now it is a lot safer, and also fair to all entering....

just pluck up 250k for a Z tune GTR and your in the game!....(still a lot less than a fully worked GT2 plus plus plus.... no change out of 500k)

speaking of novice drivers, I was more than impressed with Stuart Appleby!

anyone else a stand out?

Well also Congrats to Jeff Beable who placed a 9th outright.

Well Done Jeff.

I second that. We SAU VIC proud of you.

Anyone has The White pic while it crossed the line? Also Jeff's R34?

Back before octagon steped in, there was a Japanise couple with a reputed 900hp GTR.  Then octagon stepped in and everything is stockers now :D

hmmm, well the FIA stipulates maximum average speed targets that event organisers have to work within.

The whites have been unlucky at Targa on a few ocassions, so its great to see them win it.

In an event like Targa, I wouldn't look to the car for any great secrets for its success - it's real secret is the driver and his local knowledge.

well I only know the prep our car had but I can make some educated guesses about some others. First and foremost our car had the least power of any GTR there. Remembering the regs posted above, 100% standard that includes boost level 0.8bar, AFMs, Injectors, Airbox, standard exhaust diameter, no porting etc etc etc.

Re the car not popping this year, the whites did an engine change after 3 days last year, and a lot of work on the Sat night this year.....may have been an engine again I don't know.

For tyres most of the cars were running either Pirelli P Zero Corsa or Dunlop DZ02G, both in the hard compound. They are great tyres but the hard compound takes a lot of wear....but medium is too soft and wont make 6 days :P

I would love to see the leading cars put on a dyno :(

well any GTR making more grunt than a GT2 has to have some sexy "stock" boost! the GT2 might be only RWD but hell it is a bucket lighter, and was being steered buy a guy I know that can punt as good as most....JR incuded....

so do they data log every car? hmmm I doubt it :P

I still would LOVE to know what they have on that car :(

Re the car not popping this year, the whites did an engine change after 3 days last year, and a lot of work on the Sat night this year.....may have been an engine again I don't know.....

I read in the paper that they had centre diff problems on saturday, so that could explain the work they were doing? They also had ABS problems and were without it on Sunday (according to the Hobart Mercury)

well I only know the prep our car had but I can make some educated guesses about some others.  First and foremost our car had the least power of any GTR there.  Remembering the regs posted above, 100% standard that includes boost level 0.8bar, AFMs, Injectors, Airbox, standard exhaust diameter, no porting etc etc etc.

Re the car not popping this year, the whites did an engine change after 3 days last year, and a lot of work on the Sat night this year.....may have been an engine again I don't know.

is you car a genuine N1?

Last year the whites had to change the whole electrical system, and in the end the problem was a clogged fuel filter. (according to the targa DVD)

As far as i can see, Whites run their own brakes (work of art), Tein suspension, intercooler doesn't look factory (but i don't know if the N1 is different). dunno what eles they do besides ECU stuff... I know for a fact though Jason always has something up his sleeve.

did anyone hear that scrutineering pulled their car down to (of all things) check their flywheel was std??? talk about picky!!!

Well done to everyone who entered, its good to see all you guys at the pointy end, sad that there may only be a few more years left with all the rule changes possibly going ahead

I heard that there is possibly new rules coming in that would rull out 40% of the field, anyone know where the doco for this is (it's ment to be on the Targa site somewhere)

BTW Greg good to meet you, and how did you go in the end?  Last I heard you had a radiator hose problem?

Yeh mate,,,

As is always the case, unless you are running near someone you don't catch up to them too often. Your boys will have to slow down.

We had an all nighter at the end of day two to repair a blown head gasket, but the head must have a woof in it, cos on the line temp shot to 110deg for TS1 - day 3.

After three days of short shifting and filling with water before and after each stage we had a small off at the 11k mark on South Riana. We were beached and the officials wouldnt let the local punters push her off... Bugger, game over. I had actually caught the 805 boys all but 100mtrs, and was really relaxed. As soon as I hit the loud pedal, it jumped to understeer and we ran out of black stuff - see party tape.

Talking to Jason and he has some N1 test bits like pistons etc the site might want to auction as a fund raiser...

We have proved that driving the wheels off a GTSt will brake your heart... 13th at the end of day one was a special moment and reward for a lot of effort by my Bunnings warehouse crew.

We are happy with our performance, but next year we will be in a four wheeler (unfortunately from another brand - my chick loves diamonds, Evo Diamonds LOL).

I love Nissan as a brand, but could not drive like Jason has to for five days to mnake the oem diff setup work.

Will stay in touch, and treasure the friends I have made thru this site always.

Good Luck next year guys....

Greg Johnston

Bunnings Tarmac Rally Team

PS... Ken, Doug and Dave are devistated, but know what it takes to get a plate.... will only be a matter of time.