SAU Community

r33 powerchip

nothing

We'll I must admit that I've never heard of them, so I can't say that they are good or not. I think the choice as to whether to chip the car or go for proper engine management is where do you want the car to end up, as far as power output.

Chips are really only good if your going to keep everything else in the car relatively factory, even by adding a blow-off can disrupt a non-tunable computer. And having read the PDF advertisement (propaganda), I would be hard pressed to believe there claimed power/torque improvement without the obligatory airfilter and exhaust changes.

If you are planning on saving for a Power FC, do not discount other computers on the market which have the similar plug'n'play capability. Both Wolf and MicroTech have plug'n'play units for the R33 GTS-t, and while I can only talk based on knowledge about the Wolf, I have one, they are very cost competitive versus the Power FC.

Anyway I'm not about to start WWIII in the engine managment debate, just choose one according to the level you want the car to achieve.

See'ya:burnout:

I believe the power increase is possible as it is only 15% increase from 187 to 215kw. Even after drivetrain loss, at least you'll feel it in the mid range. With air & exhaust change, it would even felt better.

I had one of their chip in my previous car, a 93 Mitsu Galant SE Hatchback with 4G63 2.0 SOHC engine (????) No one outside australia ever known a 4G63 2.0 SOHC, as everywhere else in the world seems to have DOHC. That is the reason why I could not get any aftermarket parts from big names like Apexi/Greddy/HKS, etc. Even air filter is not available until our local Unifilter "came to the rescue".

Anyway, with stock exhaust & Unifilter panel foam air filter, I noticed difference in mid range power (It was N/A engine). I enjoyed it for a while. Sadly the car has to go, because I find it's getting harder to find aftermarket mods for such a rare car.

A$900 seems a fair deal if u dont want to spend $2000+ for powerFC or any other aftermarket chips which seems to be around $1500 mark. With extra pocket change, you could get exhaust/pod filter which would be performance bargain, as long as you're not too ambitious on the kw gain.

PS: I am not afiliated with powerchip, just expressing my own experience with them. Great cust service too, they gave me a V8 SS Commonwh*res (yeah, yeah, I know wat u guys feelin) as courtesy car for the day.

Note: For those who has auto skylines, I'm finding out if the chip works with auto gearbox. If it does, then maybe this is one option to upgrade your ECU, as powerFC and most chips alike dont work with auto R33 (according to HPI magazine). I'll post updates once I found out from them. I am sure it will work, as their V8 SS is an auto & it has powerchip in it.

What up peoples,

Whats the go with the Nengun site, they have power fc's cheap. like secondhand power fc for R33 with boost controller pack and greddy speed cut thingo as well as the controller for $1600 delivered. now that sounds bargainish to me, they also have power fc with hand controller only (second hand) $1300.

what do you think thats not far off from the $900 for the chip aspecially cos they also have the power fc with no controller for about $1000

ahh too many choices.

scratcha later

RiaZ

It's impossible to build a one off chip to suit all R33's coz everycar is diff. Tuning should only be done on a Dyno in real time where the tuner can see your A/F ratio and power curve. For $660 fitted and tuned I bought an Apexi SAFC, it allows adjustment of the A/F ratio with good results, 40rwkw in the midrange and 20rwkw peakpower improvements.

A chip is a "one stop" replacement for like a standard car or one with just a better exhaust or intake. I doubt it could give you the best out of an engine after you have put on a few mods. It will probably give you a reasonable 10-20% gain if your car is pretty standard which might be enough for some people.

You're better off with a fully adjustable ECU, which can be programmed, give you realtime response curves, etc. Then you can go mad and get a laptop and plug in and start programming fast and furious style from incar to give you absolute control. Too cool! Probably not a cheap approach though

Would be interested in people's experience with this full on approach? :burnout:

Originally posted by predator666

You're better off with a fully adjustable ECU, which can be programmed, give you realtime response curves, etc. Then you can go mad and get a laptop and plug in and start programming fast and furious style from incar to give you absolute control. Too cool!

I agree with you predator666, however this path would probably suit those who got manual gearboxes, as powerFC, eManage, Microtech, MRT and the likes all only works with manual cars.

If you have an automatic transmission like some of us do, it may require another approach like this replacement chip. Powerchip said that their chip will work with automatic transmission cars. It confirms as their previous courtesy car was an auto V8 Commie (see my previous post) with Powerchip installed. Here is their reply to me:

Hi Rianto,

Great to hear of your new car. They are great.

If you are running 98 octane fuel, then I recommend the Gold 98 Powerchip. This  

is our best one and will give you the most performance gain. The Gold and the Gold 98 are the same price of $990, fully installed.

There is no reason that we cannot do automatic gearboxes.

Unfortunately, in the past, we have had many bad experiences with group  

purchase's. We do not offer discounts on any of our products for group  

purchases

Kind Regards,

Ryan Naylor

Power Consultant

Powerchip Pty Ltd - Australia's leading performance chip company. P + 613 9681 6888 F + 613 9681 6777 [email protected] www.powerchipgroup.com

Too bad they won't do any group purchase.

You can contact them on the number above, they're in Melbourne but will do interstate delivery and installation at approved installer australia-wide.