SAU Community

Twin Plate Clutch install... Help

GiJOr33

I've picked up an OS Giken Clutch from one of the boys on this forum... and all i need to do now is install it!

I have a mate who has a hydraulic car hoist so i'm not going to be doing it in the driveway!

But i've never changed a clutch before... he has though. Are they any different to changing a standard clutch? Also while the geabox is down is there anything else i should change? like bearings or anything... if so, what, and where would i get the parts?

Can't wait to get the power to the road!

Thanks

Andrew

Ummm, I'm no expert, but I've done a few clutches in my time :)

Just a few things to check;

Make sure you have heaps of tools, good tools, one or two trolley jacks (to hold the gear box up while your trying to get it back in), and LOTS of extension bars....

We did a R32 GTS4t a while ago, and there is one bolt between the motor and gear box that is right up the top on the gear box.

Now I'm not sure if the R33 is the same, but the only way we could get to that one bolt was too jack the front of the motor up (so the back angled down) and get about 4-5 10 inch extension bars joined together to reach that top bolt !!!!!

Yepp, it was a pain in the butt !!!

Also, make sure that clutch is compatable with the factory flywheel, and make sure that that clutch uses that factory push?? (or is it pull??) config, or you might need a converter or something (this is abit above my head).

It sounds scary, but you should be fine, just try not to get frustrated when your trying to get the box back in - it takes time and is fiddly to get it to slot back in.

Good luck

J

cool... thanks for the tip

My mate has an engine jack as well as the car hoist... He's done plenty of clutches... i just thought there might be some cheap parts that would be worth replacing while the geabox is open...

the clutch came with a flywheel, should i get that machined? and it's off an R32 GTR which i've been told is the same as an R33 GTS25t!

Thanks again...

Andrew

I had a OS twin put in my 32. From memory it required a new thrust bearing, which is differant to a normal Skyline one, and the bolts from your standard flywheel won't fit, you'll need to get differant ones machined up. Thats what I was told anyway

Is it in good condition? Mine looked OK, and was only 1.5mm in overall thickness thinner than a as new one and it slipped after about 10mins, and had to be replaced. If it looks a bit worn, chances are its screwed, and they ain't cheap to fix

what's the overall thickness meant to be?

i think it's in good condition, i'll get the flywheel machine, but the clutch plates look like they are pretty good.

where would i get a thrust bearing from?

Thanks

Andrew

I think (it was 6 months ago) the minimum thickness is approx 3mm for the friction plates. and overall thickness of both plates and the spacer in the middle was about 12mm. If you want to find out for sure give Adelaide Clutch Services a call (08)8234 2222, they will be able to tell you.

They said mine was screwed, i didn't think it was and fitted it, and sure enough it was. They wanted about $1200+ to re-build it as well, so it can get expensive with those things. I am currently fitting a lightweight cromo flywheel and cushioned brass button clutch. Its only RWD anyway, if it was 4WD, then I would go a twin

well each clutch plate is about 3.9mm each so i think there's still a bit left on it...

my car is only rear wheel drive too... but got some good power (don't know exactly... needs to get it tuned on the dyno). It shreds standard clutches... this one in it now just spins to redline when you rip it to second gear...

I'll see how it goes... if it doesn't hold then i'll sell it to someone looking for a rebuild, or someone with less power!

I think it should be sweet though!

the OS Giken clutch has got it's own Flywheel... i'll get that machine to smooth out the surface.

i'm just having trouble finding out what thrust bearing i need... I've got a couple of prices ranging from $31 from nissan, to $51 from a bearing company... i've no idea what the difference is, or if the factory clutch bearing will be fine!

any ideas?

and i've got 3 people helping with the clutch install :) up on an car hoist

thanks

andrew

The hoist will help. It's a complete bastard to get it back in again.

I just did my clutch and flywheel and I had to get a mobile mechanic out to have a go after two days of misery. Even he couldn't do it. (Note to self: never do this again). It went to a workshop with a hoist at the end.:D

As long as you have a couple of blokes and a hoist and have alligned the clutch properly it should be pretty easy.