SAU Community

Fixing Cracked And Faded Lights

MsG_ChRiS

Does ne1 know of a way to may the lights on my R33 clear again it looks filthy when you turn them on!!!

The plastic has faded and is starting to crack =(

I have heard of plastic polish does ne1 know if this works?

Does ne1 know where i can get a replacement set for a decent price as i have been quoted $1000 for a new set!!! =(

Use Gumption with a damp cloth and scrub like crazy. :headspin: It wont scratch the lenses and finish off with some polish or wax to protect the outside. Doing it reguarly will keep em looking fairly reasonable.

I use Meguiars ScratchX and it does the job nicely. It's a little bit pricey (about $20 a tube), but bonus is that you can use it on the rest of the car as well to get rid of light scratches, whereas you cannot with other things like plastic polish, toothpaste, Gumption etc.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I do this at work, bit scary at first but it works.... If they're really bad, sandpaper first.... work your way up through the grades of wet and dry to 1500 or 2000.... then silicone free polish. Takes about an hour a pair, even on the worst condition lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Try using silvo from Coles or woolies. about $8 for a can that will last you two lifetimes.

Using a cotton cloth... put some on it then rub in small circles with pressure.

Then buff off with a clean cotton rag.

Finally, to help protect the finish... add some car polish and then polish off as per usual.

This will cure the fading/yellowing problem but not the cracking.

Plastic gets old and doesn't like the sun... it cant be helped.

Edited by negoshi8or