SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

I don't think you can defame yourself either... :blink:

They are what they are. Even if they are the least grippy semi slick, they probably last the longest and they probably out grip plenty of more expensive street tyres. Tyre choice on one level is quite like turbo choice, you slide up and down a scale of:

Grip------------Longevity

Where you sit on that scale is personal choice. With turbos your scale is:

Laggy but powerful-----------Less power but less lag.

So he can say there semis even though there not? After the fourth lap those tires are :action-smiley-069: and this isnt defamation people.

Open forums are wonderful places to air opinions and personal perceptions. They are also a place to pass on experience and knowledge to a broad base audience regarding new product opportunities.

Manufacturer consultation, personal experience, track days, and detailed feedback given to me are the basis for my comments and winners are grinners, so at the end of the day the product will be the ultimate governor of what works and what doesn't.

Good luck with your tyre choice. :action-smiley-069:

defamation = the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, e.g. lying in regards to a certain aspect of a object.

lying = A lie is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement with the intention to deceive, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, or to avoid punishment.

Do you get it, when your saying that these tires are semi slicks you are lying... Get it?

So he can say there semis even though there not? After the fourth lap those tires are :P and this isnt defamation people.

How many laps have you done on them? I've done plenty and I can tell you that you're wrong. My catch can was full after 7-8 laps each session so I had to come in then but the tyres were still absolutely fine. I had these on the front and RE55's on the back. The Federals warmed up quicker but stayed good all day.

defamation = the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, e.g. lying in regards to a certain aspect of a object.

lying = A lie is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement with the intention to deceive, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, or to avoid punishment.

Do you get it, when your saying that these tires are semi slicks you are lying... Get it?

Pull your head in mate. No one was rude to you and if you apply a bit of thought to the situation you will come to the conclusion that whether they are called semi slicks or not is probably decided by the marketing department of each manufacturer, not by reference to your definitions.

After the fourth lap those tires are :P

Speaking from experience... fourth lap and the 595RS are at their peak. These tyres alone gained me over 2 seconds a lap from the first time I ran them. Even Peter Finlay was impressed with the traction and handling of my car using 595RS at the International Racing Drivers School... and this was AFTER those very same tyres did over 200kms on Oran Park on the same day, not to mention the last 12+ months of racing (same tyres) and winning most of her classes.

To add to this, you will be hard pressed trying to find a semi slick tyre such as these, that will handle so damn well in the wet.

I'm using 595RS on both my Sklyines, both are used for track and street, they are never unplaced even though they are all but stock... you don't get those sort of times without having a good hold of the road.

I call them semi's... most members of the racing clubs I interact with also refer to them as semis... but you can call them what you like, frankly I don't care, because to me they are bloody good tyres which have kept me on a competive edge for 2 years now and I can't wait to try out the new 595RS R's... even if I have to wait a bit longer because its taking a long time for these bloody good RS's to actually wear out.

My local club tried to ban these tyres in my category because they were semi slicks - they had meetings to discuss my tyres because as far as the club was concerned, they WERE semis - to cover the confusion, they changed the rule to "street registerable tyres" to combat the fact that some manufacturers were not labelling semis as such.

PS has anyone got any footage of my squealing biatch so called "top of the range" Falkens around Wakefield at the SAU day (one before last)? All the hype and no damn traction at all, she squealed at every corner... how embarrassment!!!

Firstly back to my comments a couple of pages ago about the federal 595ss.

Another mate of mine ordered ZR's they arrived as R's and sent them back.

He receieved ZR's for the rears but only R's for the front.

Originally he was told that ZR's are not available in Australia by the Federal destributors.

I was hoping to drive on them but I haven't been able to organise it thus far.

For my own car I have ended up with a set of V8RS Hannkooks, reason they are comming on a set of rims that I have purchased.

I normally would never buy second hand tyres or use them but they are 90% tread left near new and the price was right.

The tyre is regarded as very quite and grippy. If they are not what I hope I will use them on my dad's car which sees mostly FWY driving where they will be perfectly suited (size is also a perfect match to his rims).

Secondly to the comments made about deformation, wow that is a huge call. There are so many things that come into play tyre pressures, tyre size, car weight, driving style and surface conditions not to mention that tyres are very subjective just like brake pads and suspension setups.

The federal 595SS from what I have seen are a good tyre for the money but they are not as good as a pilot sport then again I haven't seen anything that compares.

Would I put the 595SS on my own car, not the R's but maybe the ZR's but due to supply issues it probably isn't worth the effort. I will see how the Hannkooks go and keep saving the $$$ for the pilot sports.

AFter reading a fair bit I bought a set of the Federal SS 595s the other day. Really well priced so I thought I would try them out. Mine are the ZRs so i'm not sure about all the debate about not being able to get them.

A few issues I read about but have since confirmed were not accurate based on my setup : 1. noise, well I couldnt hear any and 2. grip seem a lot better than everyone said. I run a 270rwkw setup that has some good torque through the mid range at about 4000rpm which is where I can loose traction easily...already these are holding up well through 1st and 2nd under full throttle - not ever going to hold 100%

I bought a set of 18x265x35 (rear) and 18x235x40 (front) cost appox $800 for the set which is great value, then took them to a fitting place who charged by 60 bucks for install. all up its was just under $900 fitted.

In addition they feel good to drive on under normal conditions, not sure if you describe it as noise, but they seem soft on the road and make limited noise as mentioned before I could instantly notice a difference.

I go to regular track runs, so i will see how they hold up for after 3-4 or so hot laps. I should get some R specs but the wife has got my frozen on funds for my car so I had to comprimise with 70% street and a 30% track tyre...we will se how it holds up.

just an update after a good drive on these ss595 federal tyres.

I did approx 10 full throttle lanuches at a test location that I always use. Only some minor slipping close to redline from a slow rolling start. 2nd holds perfect at full boost/throttle and accelerates like a mofo now. So if other tyres in the same bracket grip better then thats fine, but these seems really good for the dollar.

The suporting mods include 270 kw, the SK suspension setup with camber setup to : rear – 1.2 (both sides) as a blend for corner and straight line which seems about right now.

So bottom line is they come recommended for street. Next is some track time to see how they hold up in terms of wear and grip over 3-4 hot laps for a street tyre.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys,

thoughts on these tyres?

225/50R16 V70A - Kumho

Cheers

I have not used them, but know a few people who have, only on the track though.. I have heard that they perform well as a R compound tyre. There seem to be a few of them floating around second hand.

Has anyone used the Kumho KU-36 (Ecsta XS) ?

http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/ul...ormance/KU36.do

They have a 180 treadwear rating, and are comparable to the Falken RT-615 and similar.

Saw these for $188 for 235/45/17 seem like a good price for that style of tyre.

I had a set of Maxxis on my skyline when i got the car, very hard tire couldnt drive when the roads where wet still not that great when dry, tires lasted me 2 and half years, front still had 50% left on it, now i have nankang on my 20' rims, they havent been to bad in the dry, but still able to spin right through 2nd gear at times, and 3rd gear cherp at 110kms, havent been in the wet with them yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, great site, even for a 180B SSS owner :P

RE the Kumho KU36's.

First track test was at the Phillip Island 6 hour this year.

215/45r17's fitted on a Mini Cooper (current model)

They ran Kumho V70A's last year on the same car with the same driver.

The KU36's were nearly 3 seconds a lap quicker on sat practice.

Be an ideal tyre for a reasonably standard (not full race) suspension setup.

Great in wet weather too.

And they are 100% street legal.

And yes I work for Kumho :banana:

The V70A's are a good tyre. I know a few guys that use them, and wont use anything else. But to get the most from them, you need a comp suspension setup. KU36's are much better for everyday use on a street car that does track days.

The 888's are a great tyre. But a lot of guys say they dont have a long life due to their soft compound, especially on heavier cars.

The V70A's have better life expectancy, but thats also determined by car setup and driving style.

What class do you run in and what car?

The 888's are a great tyre. But a lot of guys say they dont have a long life due to their soft compound, especially on heavier cars.

The V70A's have better life expectancy, but thats also determined by car setup and driving style.

What class do you run in and what car?

I have heard the same, which is why i got r888's for my track only NA silvia as it is just under 1 tonne according to the previous owner. They were also a good price ($1300 for 4 235/45-17's fitted)

I have seen very good results with the V70A's as well but don't they have excess tread depth (~8mm) when new so require shaving for dry track use? Or am i mixing it up with another kumho?

V70A's only have about 5mm when new. And thats only in the 2 centre grooves. The rest of the tread is even more shallow, about 3mm.

post-56760-1224295606.jpg

I was going to get a set for my own car, since they are street legal, but changed to the KU36's when they came into the country. A little more friendly for day to day use.

post-56760-1224295689.jpg

I think you might be thinking of the KU31's.

post-56760-1224295716.jpg