SAU Community

Power steering - speed sensitive?

slayer

I have noticed on my R33 that once I am over around 90k's the steering is very heavy, even on gradual bends. I am running 235's on the front, but while stationary the power steering is light.

I assume the R33 has speed sensitive steering, does anyone know if its programmable? It just seems WAAAY too heavy around 90-110 for high speed cornering ( I guess its calibarated for skinnier tyres really).

Ta

Conrad

I thought at about 60km/hr the HICAS should kick in and cause the rear wheel to act in sympathy with the front, providing a 4WS situation. After checking alignment etc, check you have sufficient power steering fluid, not enough will make it feel heavy, but you would expect this to be all of the time.

See'ya:burnout:

but is the steering speed sensitive (eg reduces the power steering assistance as you speed up so its not too light at freeway speeds) ?

Slayer,

Yes, I believe that it works this way, otherwise it would be too flighty at high speed. Have you driven any other GTS-t's to compare it to. Your steering may be heavier all of the time, but it might be more noticable at high speed. I'd still suggest checking alignment and power steering fluid.

See'ya :burnout:

I just got Bridgestone Potenza G3's put on all 4, and I was getting the alignment done and they said there is a problem with the alignment in the passenger side rear, they had to keep it on a slight negative camber... He said it may have been bumped into a curb in Japan or something, and this could inturn affect high speed cornering. He recommended the best thing for me to do was speak to whiteline about a bush kit which may fix the problem up a bit...dunno, will c

Paul Paul