SAU Community

RB20, how good are they?

Hi everyone :wavey: ,

I am thinking of buying an R32 GTS-t and was just wondering how good the RB20 is. Would it be better to swap it for an RB25 or even an RB26? Since I will be limited by price I would probably be keeping the RB20 in there anyway.

Also do they responed good to modification? I heard that they are stronger than an SR20, an can take more punishment.

Would you say that the GTS-t with the rb20 would be a good place to start, since it will be my first car?

So I'm guessing by what your saying that it would be your first car? I wouldn't reccommend a turbo charged skyline as your first car if your getting your license cause you will more than likely smash it up anyway and cost yourself more money than its worth. Buy a banger for a year, learn to drive and spend the time looking for a decent R32 in a year time. Only reason is that I'm hearing too many stories these days of P plate drivers hoping into powerful cars and blowing all there money from one swift slide into a lighpole (or evening injuring themselves seriously or ending up dead).

Now back to your first question. RB20's are solid motors and underestimated by many but have there limitations. Commit to a RB25/RB26 only if your planning on pumping tons of money into it. Best way to modify a RB20 IMO is to buy mods which would be compatible with a new motor if you decided to buy one especially considering a lot of parts on the RB20 are interchangable with the RB25. I still think RB26's are a bit heactic to be putting in RWD cars so better off saving the time and getting a GTR if thats the case.

its a good idea to get something that you can actually LEARN to drive in. and by that i mean without your mum or dad sitting there telling you how to drive because seriously,almost everyone drives very differently after getting off L's. even if you bought a turbo'd skyline but kept the wastegate open for 6 months or something so that it wont boost. its actually a very smart way to do it IMO. and can save alot of $$$$$ in the end. think about it dood.

its a good idea to get something that you can actually LEARN to drive in. and by that i mean without your mum or dad sitting there telling you how to drive because seriously,almost everyone drives very differently after getting off L's. even if you bought a turbo'd skyline but kept the wastegate open for 6 months or something so that it wont boost. its actually a very smart way to do it IMO. and can save alot of $$$$$ in the end. think about it dood.

I've been on my P's for a while now......., what I ment was to "practise" driving. I was gona get a GTR but I thought that would be too powerful for me so I decided to get a GTS-t.

• 2 weeks later...

mate you'll be right with it for your first car. Standard aint that quick anyway and it will take a good couple of years to build the hp anyhow. But the RB20 aint as quick as a RB25 only due the the RB25 running more compression , but that also means its a lot easier to **** out a RB25 by flogging the shit out of it rather than a RB20. Both motors are great. Its really a win win power/life which one you prefer. Good luck