SAU Community

Power restrictions on P plates

II Chris II

I am confused .....

On the list of P plate legal and illegal cars that is available from vicroads it clearly states that a nissan skyline gtst is legal to drive on your p's, im looking at it right now in front of me ...

I actualy was told by a friend just reciently that the p/plate power restriction law has been removed ... I dont know if this is true or not thoe ..

I was under the belief that this list is void now and it purely goes upon the power to weight ratio.....

what is stopping you from buying a non turbo skyline and swapping the engine with a turbo'd one and modifying it further to get eg 200kw at the wheels????? going by this "list" its fine

hence the void on it!

True, its hard to enforce unless they pull you over and actually dyno you,..can't see that happening.

I know i'll annoy some of you, but i think it is reasonable that there are are some power restrictions... too many young guys do stupid stuff and wipe 'emselves out, or even worse friends or other people. With more power it means more likely hood of that happening. I mean in the wet, you floor a car with 200rwkw and well you going to learn why power isn't always good all the time!

Originally posted by alexR33

WHEN they do... I'd like to have a slip saying the car is under the power to weight?  How would i organise this?  Engineers report perhaps?  Thanks?

Alex

You can't get a slip saying its under the power to weight.... coz its not!

Originally posted by darK

yeah he's got everyone there...

but there are sensible people out there.. that dont mod their cars to the extreme unless they know that they can handle it...

i mean... i havent modded my car at all... (not that i'm scared... just a bit low on funds)

yeah, agree with u there dark. I'm going to be 19 (possibly 20) when i get my GT-T, and that's already 206kw, i don't want to increase the figure at all. Not until i've done AT LEAST 1 driving course in it, more likely 2. Not all us P platers wanna get 50000rwkw and wanna 'scandinavian flick' every corner. :D

Guest EVL-R33

wel this migth help out some of u p platers,

i got a r33 gts25t for my first car on my p plates and YES it is illegal to drive on ur p plates, i was on chapel st and a cop pulled me over and said "u do know the vehicle you are driving is Too powerful?

all u get is a 105 fine...

Originally posted by EVL-R33

wel this migth help out some of u p platers,  

i got a r33 gts25t for my first car on my p plates and YES it is illegal to drive on ur p plates, i was on chapel st and a cop pulled me over and said "u do know the vehicle you are driving is Too powerful?  

all u get is a 105 fine...

You were lucky. A mate was driving a WRX on his Ps and got a 3 month suspension...

Is this power-weight ratio thingy for Victorians only?

I think it's a good idea and NSW should have it as well! :uh-huh:

Doesn't affect me either way I'm on my golds :)

The cops can suddenly decide 'ok, this month we'll target P platers with illegal vehicles' so becareful :)

no demerits.. just a $105 fine for EVL-R33.. and 3 months suspension for riggaP's mate..  

did they get any demerits... how many if they did?

Nup. No demerits... Do you realise that now you get 3 point for having dodgy number plates!!!! How farked is that!!!!

Nup. No demerits... Do you realise that now you get 3 point for having dodgy number plates!!!! How farked is that!!!!

Very!!! and you have to pay to get THEIR dodgy f*cking number plates replaced that they give you..see they would then have to bust people like my mum. Same for mobile phones now... 3 points and $205 fine.. c*nts!

The way its going you are going to get fined soon for scratching your ass in your own car. Gimme back my rights goddamnit!! !

Originally posted by predator666

Very!!! and you have to pay to get THEIR dodgy f*cking number plates replaced that they give you..see they would then have to bust people like my mum.  Same for mobile phones now... 3 points and $205 fine.. c*nts!

The way its going you are going to get fined soon for scratching your ass in your own car. Gimme back my rights goddamnit!! !

I actually would like to see more people talking on their mobile phones whilst driving get caught. They are a danger to other cars.

If you want to talk and drive, get a portable hands free for a couple of bucks.

Originally posted by ed

I actually would like to see more people talking on their mobile phones whilst driving get caught. They are a danger to other cars.

If you want to talk and drive, get a portable hands free for a couple of bucks.

totally agree with u there ed...

yes.. but 'apparently' hands free kits are worse.. because you still have to concentrate on ur conversation while driving...

So you can't talk to passengers when you drive either?

So you can't talk to passengers when you drive either

Yeah, exactly i'm sure they'd want it like that - or people eating in their car, or girls doing their makeup - etc, etc! Although with the amount of people that actually talk on their phones, they're not busting many. I'll see 10 a day I guess - prolly more if i really looked.

Good to see Victoria's holiday road toll is the worst in the country this year. Good to see this crackdown on speeding and all the rest is really working. Its rubbish, its clearly not doing a thing - so reverse these stupid laws and let me get back to enjoying driving. Idiots will kill themselves no matter what, so why should everybody else be penalised for it?

More intelligent driver training is the key. I mean some guy died - and yet he was 87 driving! I mean, does that even count? He shouldn't have been even on the road at that age.

yes.. but 'apparently' hands free kits are worse.. because you still have to concentrate on ur conversation while driving...

it's not b'cos you're talking, it's more of people trying to juggle the one with one hand and change gears + control the other with one hand.

You may be able to do it, but some are so crap at it they slow the car down just so they can control it....

30 in an 80 zone...FFS pull over and talk all you want! :)

I seem to remember reading a report in a newpaper or somewhere that your reaction time when driving and using a hand-held mobile was twice as bad as when ur blood alcohol level is .05 Something to think about.