SAU Community

How good are the cops in perth!

Steve

Well, I think I had a meeting with a couple of the most decent cops I have ever met last night!

I was pulling on to the Reid hway onramp, put my foot in a bit hard, and the back end swung out. I pulled it straight back in, about 30 seconds later I had a traffic cop pull me over.

He asked: do you know why I pulled you over?

I replied (probably somewhat stupidly): not really (I did know why)

He said: your back end swung out on the way on to the highway - thats actually classed as undue care, you also spun your wheels - are you aware of the new rules in this state (my car isnt transferred from SA reg)? I could confiscate your car for 2 days

Me: fark, really?

He then asked if I had any mods to the car, I replied yes, and he asked me to pop my bonnet.

When he looked under the bonnet, he asked if I had permits in SA ( SA rego) for the mods. I explained that they dont issue permits, unless its something that needs engineering, but that everything I had was legal.

He chatted for a bit, asking how long I had been here, if I intended getting the rego transferred. He told me to make sure I get permits when I transfer the rego, as its a $100 fine for any mod without a permit.

He then said, well, you dont seem like the sort of guy to do it on purpose, if you had kept the back end out, or fishtailed it would of been a different story. He also commented that I stayed withing the speed limit.

Result, $100 fine for careless driving - which is fair enough, I did have a pretty good idea that back end would step out.

I thanked him, wished them a good night, and am still counting my blessings

Bloody unbelievable - if this was in SA they would have taken turns in bending me over and seeing if they could make me cry. I love WA :)

On a side note, his offsider (the newbie) did point out my tinker drift club sticker and said 'this wont be helping your case any' - bit of a smart ares, but I suppose what do you expect from newbie coppers that havent had a chance to learn how to be decent people :) I told him it was a gift from a japanese friend who belongs to the club - he just hurumphed (if thats a word)

Made my weekend

I wouldn't get used to the good treatment tho. Of course theres some good cops like this one, but theres also alot of bastards that would of taken your car because of our 'Hoon Laws' in WA

hmm, so do I need to buy a lotto ticket? :( this is the first time I have been pulled over in around 20 years, apart from the occasional RBT.

In SA, I drove past a speed trap where they were doing a defect station at the same time (SAPOL love defecting anything imported, even if its stock - any mods and you are farked) - anyway the copper just about shat himself when he saw me cruise past, tried to pull me across 4 lanes of traffic, went red and just glared when I drove past.

havent even had a sideways glance from passing cops here in the west - hope I dont meet any of the ones you are talking about damono. this guy was just doing a job, and wasnt out to win any ego points thank god.

It is indeed good to come across friendly coppers who will do their job without any sort of prejudice towards modified cars etc, and who do it in a professional manner.

I've been pulled over a couple of times (for random checks - I've never been pulled over for doing anything wrong :() and only once have a come across an egotastic copper. He did remind me though of a Gestapo officer with his high boots and jodhpurs :)

ive delt with HEAPS of cops in perth

Ive never EVER came across an asshole cop.

personaly i get the feeling the people who bitch about cops where doing something wrong in the first place, be a smart ass back or have illegal mod etc to get picked on

well, i got picked up by the cops once in my r33, he was 3 cars ahead of me, mustve seen me in his rear view mirror, I was doing the speed limit, nothing wrong, he pulled into the bus lane to wait till i passed then pulled me over. He said he 'saw my registration had expired (which it had, my bad) which i doubt from 3 cars ahead.

Then proceeded to give me a fine and a court summons for 'driving an unregistered vehicle'

Fair enough i didnt pay the registration on time (i was 2 weeks late), but there was no need to give me a summons to court over it. I said to him i would go down there right now and pay it, it was day after boxing day, xmas time was why i didnt pay it (no excuse tho). But he would let me off without the summons. Plus he wouldnt let me drive my car home, which was 150m from where i got picked up.

And you wonder why people hate cops.

PS i had to goto court and plead guilty to it. ($250 or something fine)

Just after boxing day also this year

my mate also had no rego on his land rover discovery

he got picked up for speeding

we were 1/2 way between perth and bussleton and we had to get a tow truck

its the law

no rego - u aint going anywhere.

I know its the law. But personally i think theres a difference between driving an unregistered vehicle and being 2 weeks late in paying a bill.

And i agree, most of the cops are pretty good, but its the ones that go out of their way to be ar seholes that gives them a bad wrap. Most cops don't really care about mods on cars etc... as long as they're safe and your not being a hoon, but theres some that just get off on the ego trip and sticker any car which has been changed from stock

Just my 2c tho

personaly i get the feeling the people who bitch about cops where doing something wrong in the first place, be a smart ass back or have illegal mod etc to get picked on

So there we go damono, according to Brendan you WERE doing something wrong, even if you were driving the speed limit :(

why do I get all the "by the book" cops then?

I have never been let off a fine ever...and that has lead to me losing my licence once already

thats just my luck tho, believe me :(

Topaz, for each fine you have had, how often have you done the same thing and not been caught? :(

true, but its when I get caught I, I GET CAUGHT....Easter long weekend last year 90k's in a 70 zone on West Coast Highway lost 6 points.....ouch!

I have mates who have been let off from speeding, swerving eratically, stoned....luckily get waved on through a booze bus and he was pissed. I have never not been stopped at a booze bus

Sorry for bitching, I could go on :)

I dont get why people hate cops, troy has his winge now and again. Ive had one slightly bad experience with a policeman, but other from that, its all been good. I think, if you are doing the wrong thing, stiff bickys! You get what you deserve. As for cops "by the book" its their job. If he let you off.. then he should let everyone else off for the same thing. The people that "bitch" about cops, are the people that get angry and abuse them when they get introuble, no wonder the cop finds what ever he/she can to pin on them, i would! Im sure there are bad cops out there, but all the ones i have met are good. I think people should give them a fair go, i for sure wouldnt like to do their job.

Haven't had much experience with cops (lucky I guess), but basically I agree with Kyles (Kylie is it?) post. After all, they are just doing there job, BUT it has to be that you have done something wrong, and the majority of people will accept it & take it on the chin. In no way do I agree with the "random" vehicle checks for someone doing the right thing in an import & leaving with a yellow, but if you are pulled over for speeding & happen to disrespect them, that will make your situation worse. A lot of people say that if you just respect & comply with police when they have pulled you over that might be enough to keep you out of trouble, depending on what you have done. But that "anti-hoon" law where they can take your car for spinning your wheels is pure bs though, that sucks.

My uncle is a cop in qld (sergeant I think), and next time I talk to him I am going to try & get some inside info & see what the general feel about the import scene & police is all about.

i use to feel the same way until the other friday night when i learned different just for asking to see the radar display of my speed -- then i realised that there are certain Police out there that no matter what you say or do will be dicks either way -- i deal with the Police at least 3 times a week at work and most of them are great except like every organisation you will always get the predantict idiot who cant think for themsleves.

Any if you disagree with what they charge you with take it to court - gather your evidence and present your case as i will be doing

I agree with driver... if cops give you a fine.. then you probably deserved it. They dont just do it for no reason. I am glad to hear that people like Steve can respect this and regonise the police were actually fair.

There is no need for people to abuse cops or be smart arses. They are just doing their job like any other Australian. Do some people think that their insiginificant little fine or yellow sticker for an illegal mod compares to some things police officers deal with on a daily basis - ie rapes, domestic voilence, fatal road accidents?? They witness more shocking events in a day than some people see in a lifetime, and an idiot who thinks he/she is "da sh1t" in their fast car doesn't even raise an eyebrow for the police.

Anti-hoon laws are not something the WA police have implemented... its the WA government. The police just have to enforce it. So next time... think its not the police officers fault they have to confiscate/sticker your car... its the WA government for implementing the laws. The copper is only doing his/her job... like the rest of us.