SAU Community

Engines out..what else to do

Hey guys,

My RB26 is currently out of the car at the minute. Original reason was to replace turbos as i'd rather the piece of mind of a professional doing..ie not me :)

List of parts getting installed are..

GTSS turbo's

MINES dump pipes

TOMEI intake manifold and throttle butterfly gasket - preventative

Thermostat - preventative

Tailshaft centre bearing - old one worn and need of replacement

NISMO gmax clutch - more power means stock clutch won't like it

Now my question for the guys who's done engine out work is, what else SHOULD be replaced while the engine is out of the car?? Engine is just up to 100,000km's. I'm pretty sure i'll get most if not all of the hoses under the plenum replaced, once again more preventative than needed. I'm really trying to spend as little as possible BUT I can't tightarse on any of this..

Also..degreaser is best way to clean up block?? It's pretty greasy n dirty.

Any suggestions would be great :D

Cheers

Jono

DSC03450.JPG

DSC03445.JPG

DSC03449.JPG

DSC03444.JPG

Guest DIRTgarage
Hey guys,

My RB26 is currently out of the car at the minute. Original reason was to replace turbos as i'd rather the piece of mind of a professional doing..ie not me :)

List of parts getting installed are..

GTSS turbo's

MINES dump pipes

TOMEI intake manifold and throttle butterfly gasket - preventative

Thermostat - preventative

Tailshaft centre bearing - old one worn and need of replacement

NISMO gmax clutch - more power means stock clutch won't like it

Now my question for the guys who's done engine out work is, what else SHOULD be replaced while the engine is out of the car?? Engine is just up to 100,000km's. I'm pretty sure i'll get most if not all of the hoses under the plenum replaced, once again more preventative than needed. I'm really trying to spend as little as possible BUT I can't tightarse on any of this..

Also..degreaser is best way to clean up block?? It's pretty greasy n dirty.

Any suggestions would be great :D

Cheers

Jono

DSC03450.JPG

DSC03445.JPG

DSC03449.JPG

DSC03444.JPG

Paint the engine bay...we did it to ours and i must say it came up a treat!!

]']yo jono i was wondering were your car was

i go past your house once in a while to go to my mates place at the end of your street

anywayz i recon if u dont already have.

get N1 water and oil pumps???

and sumpbaffles kit too

Hey,

Car hasn't been out of the garage since late march unfortunately..

U do? What car? cos I dont think ive ever seen a gtr in my street other than mine hehe..

Already done N1 water pump but the oil pump and baffles are defintely on the cards..N1 pump $600ish? sump baffles $400ish? That about right?

Another thing, I wanna get new spark plugs too. Any recommendations on what type?? will be running about 1 - 1.2 bar

Hmmmm... in another thread SK mentioned that the N1 water pump is not a good idea for a street driven car: IIRC he has seen two failures.

I'd be looking at some head work if the budget stretches. Definately do the sump.

LW.

who cares about the engine

my recomendation

you will need one digital camera

one young lady (preferable with big guns)

one skimpy out fit

bottle of scotch or (whatever turns you on)

then just go nuts

might be your only chance the engine might never come out again

and as a bonuse you might get a good chrismas card out of the pick :angel: :69: :xmas: :cooldance

Standard water pump, R33/34 N1 oil pump + JUN crank collar, sump baffle's (ive got Tomei sump baffles for sale, PM me for price), full gasket kit... if the budget stretches, id also chuck a set of forged pistons in while the engines out and get the whole thing balanced... I know id be spewing if I put it back in the car with stock pistons, they went bang and I had to pull it out again.

timing belt is a must if you don't know how old it is

i would change the head gasket of pistons just for the sack of it (but did you do a compression check before removing the engine)if the test was ok leave it, as 1.2 bar on gt-ss will not over power the internals.

Might be a good idea to flow the blocks water jackets to remove any build up or scale.

pete

Thanks for all the input guys...

Timing belt has already been done, with a greddy one (pretty noisy though).

GTSS Turbo kit finally arrived today albeit with a $377 GST bill from customs which isn't too bad really. Didn't know so much extra stuff comes with the turbo's, exh manifold gaskets, all washers, studs etc..thought that was a good score :)

Engine mounts got replaced today, one was cracked. All belts and spark plugs done aswell.

Another interesting thing, the mechanic said the engine has had some work before in australia some time as all the welsh plugs have an A for 'Austral' brand on them. Also non standard colour plugs, the harmonic balancer had been replaced here in aus aswell and it was pretty easy to tell that the block had been sandblasted at some stage..

Unfortunately the budget isn't going to stretch to getting the engine taken apart. Although I would be dong the baffles cams pistons etc etc. I had to draw the line somewhere and i'll be pretty happy when it's all back together. Oh and it did compression test ok last time it was done.