SAU Community

skyline vs commodore = who would win?

you're kidding right? a gtst for 45k and a wrx cost 40... I'm talking newout of the factory in japan... I guess it's feasable tho... which makes commodores look even more like a POS for the money.

I would have thought that they would at least have been more EVO priced... considering if they were only 45k it would make a gtst approx 1/3rd the price of a new gtr!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrmm,

Lets bash a commodore thread.... Common boys and girls get in on the action.

I would buy a VZ Commodore if I had the money, but I didn't and had to settle for a R33 GTST. I love my worn out suspension, and crunching g'box on my car which has only done 80 000kms. Also, theirs nothing like buying a skyline thats already had 2 engine rebuilds in its lifetime due to "reliability" problems.

Yet a lot of people can overlook these problems, and bag a commodore :dump:

It sounds to me like you are comparing thrashed 10 year old cars to brand newies. You may have a few problems now...but think of a thrashed 10 year old commodore! Besides I like bashing comodores just for the injured looks on peoples faces when they hear that some one doesnt think as much of commos as they do!

Hrmm,

Lets bash a commodore thread.... Common boys and girls get in on the action.

I would buy a VZ Commodore if I had the money, but I didn't and had to settle for a R33 GTST. I love my worn out suspension, and crunching g'box on my car which has only done 80 000kms. Also, theirs nothing like buying a skyline thats already had 2 engine rebuilds in its lifetime due to "reliability" problems.  

Yet a lot of people can overlook these problems, and bag a commodore :dump:

I'm not bagging commodores. However, if you chose poorly through the used car market then that is your responsibility, and does not reflect decent examples of a car.

you obviously bought a shit skyline buddy i have three in my family and they are all in tip top shape one has done 140000. You should have been more careful when buying or it could be that you dont take care of it. Go sell it and buy a vz they have probably dropped to the same price by now.

Sumo: If you have problems like that with your car, I'd dare to say it's not a genuine 80,000km.  

Anyway, Commodores have squeeky suspension and crunching gearboxes as soon as they leave the factory :P

LOL, I'm going to check for any squeeks and crunching of gear box when I drive home from work today.

Linear, it sounds like your friend has a series 1 VT SS which has the 5 litre engine. Don't think you have much to worry about if you get the GTST however the series 2 and above which has the LS1(5.7litre) engine may give you a hard run.

I have a VZ commy. It is only 6 months old but has 40000km already. The car has been in 5 times to get problems fixed. The diff will be lucky to last the year out and the gearbox is already starting to fail. The build quality of the commodore is non existant. The trim has started to squeek with parts of the centre console falling out as well as door trim ( Not drivers side ). My skyline still doesnt have any squeeks and rattles, it has 150000kms and is 15 years old. Nothing built in Australia comes up to the build quality of the japs. Oh and my STOCK R32 skyline auto ran 15.1 down the quater.

Sumo: If you have problems like that with your car, I'd dare to say it's not a genuine 80,000km.

Really what gave you that idea? :sarcasm:

I wonder how many of the 89 gtr's have their original km's. Like most cars that come from Japan.....

Cheers

Matt

Point well made buddy, yes most of the 89 have woudn back kms, however they are still 10 times, sorry 1000000000 times better build and more advanced cars. I had a fomaous "ss vx" and have had skyline r33, 300zx, 180 sx hence i can compare how they drive, quality etc. Either way japs win, not coz im jap bias but simply put if the holden i had was so great why did i convert, hmmmm well i ask myself all the time...........................

i owned a r33 gts before i traded up for a gtst. i only got it because my parents were paying for part of it and a turbo was definiantly out of the question! i dont regret it at all. when i got my gtst it was easy to get used to but the power and handleing were on another level.

Back on topic. i've beaten heaps of v6 commies in the GTS. all it had was a cat back, pod and lightwieght rims. now with the gtst i can take the 8's on. there's nothing better than turning a bogans smile upsidedown.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys both cars have their good and bad points. Both can also be very very fast. Skylines were not the cheapest cars when released.

Finally many commies are your garden variety V6 or low powered V8, slap on a turbo or two to make it fair and they will definately challenge any imports. Those with high powered Holdens ive noticed usually dont bother driving their cars hard (with a few exceptions), this is typical with any car enthusiasts, especially one with expensive cars.

The LS1 and LS2 are regarded as one of the best engines in america, highly modable, reliable and cheap. Larger versions have been used in several cars (mainly vettes, camaro and TA's), and have proven itself in races. The LS* engines are also very effective and in some areas are quite advanced (DOD, LPG, even an LPG turbo).

This particular TT LS2 (6.0L) is made by APS here in aust. Their inteded market however is America. A 200WHP increase from a stock engine @ 6psi is amazing.

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/ls2/aps_gto.wmv

530hp_power_t.gif

Standard holdens are let down by their engine management and trans (especially auto). This should be rectified with the release of the VE next year, with its 6 speed auto.

For the ultimate performance machine (using holden engines) look no further than the elfin twins clubmen and streamliner. Both were designed by mike simcoe (ex holden now GM NA designer) and the guys from Elfin.

Ive also heard some guy running around in a coupe 4 (4WD) with LS2 T. This would definately give the GTR a run for its money.

Cheers

Edited by monaroCountry

so tossing up between say a 94? model supra and a 1990 gtst r32?

dude, go with a 300zx TT.

they are quick buggerz, and really cumfy too, none of thos no leg room bullshit.

working on them isnt that hard, people seem to just like to anounce that they are hard to work on everytime one is mentioned.

and for the people still argueing about comm vs import...you guys are retarded lol, have a nice day.

300zx are great cars, has a very tight engine bay but all the usual stuff are still there. Best thing to do is go to a trusted mechanic that knows what hes doing.

Also remember that preventative measures are your friend. Replace wiring loom and perform your 100K service, never trust <100K imports, anyway age also plays a part and the 300 is one old bugger.

talk about digging up an old thread... the last post was months ago..

Finally many commies are your garden variety V6 or low powered V8, slap on a turbo or two to make it fair and they will definately challenge any imports.

is it just me or does this sound stupid?

thanks for pointing out the BLEEDING OBVIOUS, but slap $10,000 worth of turbocharger system onto any NA engine and they will be bloody fast..

i have a few things to say...

hey guys and gals

A good mate and i have been having an argument about imports lately

he thinks that imports are hunk of dung , but i think commodores (which he likes) are hung of dung

so he challenged me to a drag race when i get my import

hes running a manual VT commodore with a exaust system otherwise stock

ill probably be running a automatic r33 skyline gts with only a exaust system

who would win in a  1/4 mile drag race?

cheers

ape

I reckon the commodore would take it. They can be suprisingly quick off the line given a good driver and a dry surface (wet the non-lsd rear end just spins the tyres).

LOL...I know its a Skyline website but it still amuses me how people will overate standard Skylines sometimes, a standard auto GENIII VT would cream a standard auto R33 GTsT :)

My TJ 3.5 Auto Magna would cream a Standard R33 auto GTsT :P

Arkon from your sig I can see your car is hardly standard, hence i'm sure it would beat a TJ Magna, my 'standard' Magna ran a 15.8, a 'standard' R33 GTsT would be no quicker ;)

Seriously, what the hell? You really rate your magnas don't you? An Auto R33 GTS25T would be good for at the most 15 flat across the 1/4 absolutely stock standard I reckon. That puts it nearly a second faster than your magna. A manual VRX magna may be a little more competition, as I have seen low 15s in stock form from them. But I'd say on the street an auto skyline would still win as it would be easier to launch than a manual Magna (so much torque through the fronts with no LSD). Having said that, I rekcon the Magna (even the standard non-VRX 3.5 auto) could beat a GTS given a reasonable launch.

gen3 is an engine type, so a stock V8 VT does have a gen3 under its bonnet...

Series 1 VT commodore ran the old V8, not the genIII. SeriesII VT got the GenIII. GenIII is much faster.

Bloody oath they are. 1)They're not aussie built 2) Alot of people forget that gtst's were an 80ish grand (confirmations?) car when they came out!

That's why I looked at that wanker in his falcon and didn't even bother. I dont need to prove shit.

Nothing wrong with Australian made! Some great products come out of Australia (including me!). Plus Australian build quality is on the up. We can at least beat the Americans now.

Skyline GTS25T was 2878000 Yen when it was first released. At 1993 exchange rates, 2878000Y = US$26163.63 = AUD$35059.27. As a comparison, $35k in 1993 would buy an SS Commodore, which go for nearly $50k in todays money (due to inflation). So, in todays money skylines were a $50k car new. Having said that, in Japan, $40k gets you a Lancer Evolution, which cost $60k brand new here under SEVS. So by that logic, a $50k Skyline would be $75k here. So in conclusion I agree with your $80k estimate. *collapses and dies from too much thinking*

Before everyone jumps on me (hopefully not) let me just say that I love aussie products and imports. I also have a VT with 250K (?) on the clock with no major issues apart from the normal wear and tear, and a 300zx TT.

Ill go back under my rock now before I get flamed :):):).

Hahaha! A friend of mine has an EA falcon with 800,000km on the clock and still going!!! It's an ex-taxi running LPG by the way.

I will now forget this thread and move on with life.